Windscreen icing up!?

Very authentic-looking, but a PITA in VFR! I have experienced this twice, and could find no way to defrost, like I do in my car. Had to go to external view, and descend to warmer air.

Is there a fix?

Mac6737

Why go in external view?

Its IMC, learning how to control an airplane without having external view is one of the great skills we can learn in a simulator, to beat spatial disorientation, a cause of so many accidents with real pilots that didnt acquired the skill properly

Thats why I love those big professional simulators with a cabin and hydraulics that cost hundreds of dollars one hour. Why? Cause there is no cheating, no external view, no Auto-do-everything

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

If the plane doesn’t have de-icing then it’s part of the sim to watch the outside air temp, fly over or under the weather and seek warmer air if you do ice up.

When it happens I think of it as an opportunity for adventure, not an inconvenience to work around.

OK, but how do you know whether the plane has "de-icing"?

And, as I said, I have been able to seek warmer air. But what if where you're headed doesn't permit that. I just tried Kathmandu to the Everest region, and iced up. I once flew that (as a passenger) IRL, and I didn't see any icing. Maybe the plane IRL had "de-icing"?

Mac6737

In the C172, I "think" it worked to defrost the windshield by pulling cabin heat and cabin air flow to 100%. I say "think" because I took that action and the windshield cleared gradually, but I can't be sure it was cause and effect rather than something else resulting in a clear windshield. It has worked two or three times the best I can tell.

And, as I said, I have been able to seek warmer air. But what if where you're headed doesn't permit that. I just tried Kathmandu to the Everest region, and iced up. I once flew that (as a passenger) IRL, and I didn't see any icing. Maybe the plane IRL had "de-icing"?

Mac6737

If it has de-icing there will be active controls you can flip. I guess the answer to flying aircraft without de-icing in regions where you cannot avoid icing is to fly a different aircraft.

In the C172, I "think" it worked to defrost the windshield by pulling cabin heat and cabin air flow to 100%. I say "think" because I took that action and the windshield cleared gradually, but I can't be sure it was cause and effect rather than something else resulting in a clear windshield. It has worked two or three times the best I can tell.

That may clear windshield ice, but won't clear ice from the outside surfaces!

That may clear windshield ice, but won't clear ice from the outside surfaces!

Windscreen ice and outside surface ice are completely different. Windscreen ice is cleaned by anti-ice. Outside your on your own, unless you decend or cimb into better conditions.

Just like real life. I've had it happen in real life!

I had a similar experience in the Bonanza G36, which has Pitot Heat and Prop Heat only.

Prop Heat had no effect, so I examined the Bonanza G36 system.cfg file and found in the [DEICE_SYSTEM] section that structural_deice_type = 0, therefore Prop Heat wasn't working.

I changed structural_deice_type = 0 to structural_deice_type = 1 and now I've got working Prop Heat in the Bonanza G36, which also de-ices the windscreen.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I had a similar experience in the Bonanza G36, which has Pitot Heat and Prop Heat only.

Prop Heat had no effect, so I examined the Bonanza G36 system.cfg file and found in the [DEICE_SYSTEM] section that structural_deice_type = 0, therefore Prop Heat wasn't working.

I changed structural_deice_type = 0 to structural_deice_type = 1 and now I've got working Prop Heat in the Bonanza G36, which also de-ices the windscreen.

Tim,

I did that with the Bonanza. Made no difference at all.

Mac6737

Say again?

I was replying to Mac6737 but forgot the quote

He says he went to the Everest region in a C172

Mac6737

UNQUOTE

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

• 3 months later...

I'm beginning to think Ctrl-Alt-D might be working to Deice the Beech G36. I combined it with this change to the Systems.cfg file in the SimObjects / Airplane folder tweaking the line below changing the value from 0 to 1 so don't know if that was really needed or not.

[DEICE_SYSTEM]

structural_deice_type = 1

When I use it in the Beech G36 I also turn on the Deice Button (even though it says inoperative). That does not seem to do much, but when I add the Ctrl-Alt-D then things clear up. I'm still not 100% certain that it works as my last few successful times have occurred while descending through the clouds and usually heading towards a coastal airport north of the Arctic Circle in Norway, Finland and NW Russia. I turned off the Ice affects in the Options menu to just visual only as I'm not certain this is deicing the wings, but it seems to be dong it at the same time.

In the TBM 930 You can see the Windshield Deice toggle when you click Ctrl-Alt-D but that does not happen in the Beech. I should map it to the Deice Windshield button and see if that works.

I'll keep testing and if I see for sure if it works or not, I'll update my posting.

Windshield ice should be the least of your concerns. If the windshield is icing than so are your wings - and that really is not good. I saw a friend fly a glider with wet wings once and at about 1000 feet, they iced up in clear air and he practically fell out of the sky. A scary moment for all who were there, but the pilot had to change his underpants on landing.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I understand all of the plane is affected by the ice. I set out on a mission to fly around the world in the Beech G36 taking a northerly route. It has buttons that are inoperative to engage deicing. My mission was to See the world, not just fly high and execute waypoints on a flight plan. The TBM 930 has working Deice, but not the G36.

That said I cannot wait for good weather as I am helping my wife take care of her mother (almost 97 in a hospital bed in our home for almost two years). I can only fly when I get the chance. Sure, I can set up the weather to be nice, warm and cozy, but if I were in upper Norway right now this instant - what would the real weather be...

So, I have worked hard (read my threads) on how to at least turn on some of the De-Icing capability and then turn the Icing failures in the Options menu to just visual only so it does not affect the plane. I can live with that, at least I would be seeing the world on a lower altitude and not super buzzing past anything that looks interesting.

So, for now, I am going to use the TBM 930 and wait for either Microsoft to fix the issues or see if a 3rd party plane becomes available with decent speed, good views out the windshield and working deicing functionality.

I'm not a pilot, don't intend to be one. I just want to fly around the world and see it. I did it once already recreating Amelia's flight in XPlane. The visuals are so much better in MSFS. I just changed it to a more northerly route this time.

If anyone has found a working solution, I would love to hear from you as would others in other forums I am following/participating on this topic.

Blessings - Kittster

I understand all of the plane is affected by the ice. I set out on a mission to fly around the world in the Beech G36 taking a northerly route. It has buttons that are inoperative to engage deicing. My mission was to See the world, not just fly high and execute waypoints on a flight plan. The TBM 930 has working Deice, but not the G36.

That said I cannot wait for good weather as I am helping my wife take care of her mother (almost 97 in a hospital bed in our home for almost two years). I can only fly when I get the chance. Sure, I can set up the weather to be nice, warm and cozy, but if I were in upper Norway right now this instant - what would the real weather be...

So, I have worked hard (read my threads) on how to at least turn on some of the De-Icing capability and then turn the Icing failures in the Options menu to just visual only so it does not affect the plane. I can live with that, at least I would be seeing the world on a lower altitude and not super buzzing past anything that looks interesting.

So, for now, I am going to use the TBM 930 and wait for either Microsoft to fix the issues or see if a 3rd party plane becomes available with decent speed, good views out the windshield and working deicing functionality.

I'm not a pilot, don't intend to be one. I just want to fly around the world and see it. I did it once already recreating Amelia's flight in XPlane. The visuals are so much better in MSFS. I just changed it to a more northerly route this time.

If anyone has found a working solution, I would love to hear from you as would others in other forums I am following/participating on this topic.

Blessings - Kittster

Simple.

Stay out of the air if icing is expected. Flight into Known Icing (FIKI)is a no-no for general aviation aircraft.

If there are any lessons to be learned it's how well Microsoft/Asobo created deeply dissatisfying conditions.

Long thread on the official MSFS forum about this, the net answer being the current icing effect is unrealistic as far as real world aviation is concerned - think it's been reported but no idea when or if it will ever be sorted.

There is a third-party addon which appears to help windscreen deicing but I've not actually tried it yet.

Last couple of times I have experienced (visual) ice in the Bonanza I've tried pulling the supposedly inop aircon knobs - the icing slowly disappeared, but that may of course have been 'cos I was descending to land.....................:)

With some help of friends on another website, I was directed to this link to solve the problem of how to Deice windshield in the Beech Bonanza G36. It works like a charm with out any other additions. Just read the article below and follow the instructions. It works in other planes as well. Its so simple. I regret I just finished flying around Finland, Sweden and Norway when this became known to me.

https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2021/01/10/disable-windshield-icing-effect/

Hope you enjoy it - Kittster

• 8 months later...
With some help of friends on another website, I was directed to this link to solve the problem of how to Deice windshield in the Beech Bonanza G36. It works like a charm with out any other additions. Just read the article below and follow the instructions. It works in other planes as well. Its so simple. I regret I just finished flying around Finland, Sweden and Norway when this became known to me.

Hope you enjoy it - Kittster

The Previous Thread no longer worked, but this one should be okay.

https://www.msfsaddon.com/2021/01/msfs2020-disable-all-planes-windshield.html