Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Article: Op-Ed: A Beginners View of Flight Simulator 2020

Blog Entries

Default Article: Op-Ed: A Beginners View of Flight Simulator 2020

2. Default

Hello Neil

I thoroughly enjoyed this article, although it is hard to think of you as a beginner.

I share your love of microlights (we call them ultralights in Canada), having done some serious training on them about twenty years ago in Ontario. Your continued series of farm strips for MSFS 2020 is a perfect backdrop for these beautiful craft. I encourage you to keep on keeping on. When you have mastered home-made custom buildings, I will practically beg you to recreate some small Canadian airfields I have flown from! In the meantime, despite my scenery misgivings expressed in my "Kerrspectives", I continue to immerse myself in MSFS 2020. It just keeps on growing on me, and your work is helping that to happen.

Best regards from this exiled Scot on the Canadian prairie... And remember.. we share the ATC and Chippy experience too!

- Kenneth

Thanks, kenneth, nice to hear from you. This 2020 has really grabbed me, it is sooooo different to anything that has come before. Well done to Microsoft for having the forethought! A microlight oops sorry ultralight would be nice though!! Neil

Default grass

Quote Originally Posted by neilfb View Post
    Thanks, kenneth, nice to hear from you. This 2020 has really grabbed me, it is sooooo different to anything that has come before. Well done to Microsoft for having the forethought! A microlight oops sorry ultralight would be nice though!! Neil
    Neil,Interesting article.I hope you will populate 2020 with your excellent strips.I drew 500 WW2 airfields for FSX but have lost most of them over the years.I prefer flying round haystacks to visiting large airports.From the screen shots,the grass looks like tall weeds .I think some small aircraft would tip up rather easily.I say from screen shots because although getting it on day one I still have not got it to start.I have passed it to a computer company,but they have not had any success yet.I live in hope.

Hi Neil, thank you for this review. As I also started with the sim flying on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, and tested and used the various brands up to the beta of FS2020 mainly in the Swiss Alps. We may never forget, that simulations are not games. This means no matter how detailled the environment is modelled, if you get too close to real world objects the gap becomes visible. So for the other readers, it's a solid sim, but it's a sim. The flight physics are still too simplyfied on larger planes. Now the only thing microsoft has to solve quickly with asobo studios is fixing the software start problems, which were introduced late in the beta program and weren't solved for general availybility.
    Or to take a humoristic note from a SW developers quality conference, when the question was asked if they would fly a plane running on their own software and a women raised her hand, stating that this would be absolutely safe, as the plane wouln't be able to start. Compared to X-Plane 11.5 you have more out of the box, but still with a handful of bugs.

As a long time FS enthusiast like yourself, I really appreciate your work, and this article. Nice to hear unbiased opinion of the new version and eagerly awaiting for developers like yourself to place your mark of expertise on it. Thank YOU!

Hello Neil,
    Thanks for your article. The scenery is fabulous and the program looks great. The negative part is that MSFS2020 is not compatible with simmers with a separate panel/cockpit. Why? In the FSX and P3d programs there is a (keycommand W) which gives a front full outside view, I am missing this in MSFS2020. There is a command (ESC) which gives you the view to the back of your aircraft you are flying, this is unreal. Further MSFS is not accepting all saitek equipment with me. I have no sound also. It forced me to use P3dV5 and leave MSFS on the shelf as long MSFS2020 is not solving this problem. The manufacturer of my panel as well myself did not get an answer on this problems from Microsoft.

8. Default

Neil,
    Great article on history of Flight Simulation, and on beginnings of FS 2020.
    I have owned most of the sims that you mentioned, but now I find myself
    under-powered, my PC does not meet the minimum requirements (already bought the sim from
    the MS store ).
    My PC is an HP 500-60, AMD Quad Core A6-5200 Accelerated Processor, 8GB DDR3 RAM,
    1 TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 8400 Graphics. Do you suggest a tweak, replace the
    Graphics card, or do you have any recommendations for PCs that will meet the
    recommended equipment requirements.
    Thanks,
    Ron Hanson
    [email protected]
    BTW, I found the St Michael's airfield, on Google Earth, just landed there,
    but never found EGIL on FSX or Skyvector.

Hi Neil,

Awesome job on the grass strips! Just landed at the one called Deal. Truly immersive! And it was indeed tough to find it!

There is a small issue at Deal. I think the runway markings are incorrect, Rwy 20 is marked as 02 and Rwy 02 is marked as Rwy 20. Can you please fix it? Thank you!

10. Default

Thank you for sharing your history and thoughts on the various flight sim products. I consider myself a real beginner or newbie in that I have only owned Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2004, and FSX, but never had the proper machine to enjoy either product. Therefore dust gently settled on the games as it does on long term patience.

My daughter and son-in-law bought me a gaming computer, so I bought the basic version of MSFS 2020 and found my really old Logitech Wingman Attack 2 Joystick. Long story short I landed on my second attempt at Courchevel. My first attempt was quickly pressing buttons to figure out what I was doing since there is no manual.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast