Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Op-Ed: A Beginners View of Flight Simulator 2020

Thanks for the article - I'm 71 and find this new sim simply amazing - I've been fiddling about with Microsoft Flight since the first version in the 80's,

YES -YES - a thousand times YES - there ARE bugs and glitches in this new release, but it is clear (to me) that MS needed more Beta testers to quickly find all the issues so they released this game early and let us early adopters be that QC Department for them. I am VERY pleased that not one but two patches have already been released, IMHO proving my theory but also showing the company's determination to have a first class quality product bearing the Microsoft name.

More as a joke I wondered if the little grass-strip airport near my brother's house in Amish country in Indiana was there, and YES it is and more like it, even his local small town hospital Helipad is represented . Simply AMAZING.

I look forward to getting most all the bugs sorted out in short order, but even with them this sim is just terrific.

I agree with pretty much all the comments here. I, too, was an Alpha and Beta tester and when MS/Asobo announced the release date there was uproar due to all the bugs still sitting in the beta - even if, as we all suspected, we were never given the latest builds to test.

MS decided to get it out and into the community with it's problems. It is certainly workable and playable as it stands. The biggest point I want to make here is the comments made about the simulation aspect of the 'game'. As PC users we are in the luxurious position of being able to adjust files, plug in a variety of peripherals, etc. We have to remember this will also be released on X-box where this is NOT a reality for users so there has to be some simplification (or dumbing down) of the simulation aspects to cater for this whole sector that hasn't even got their hands on it yet.

I liked better the airport selection method in FSX.

What are the comparisons, in your mind?

Thanks so much for your time and effort! It appears that after the expected debugging, this will be quite the sim!! And I am looking forward to it.

But:I've not seen or heard anything about scenery etc. when unplugged. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand you are pretty much limited in appearance and possibly response as well, unless you are online whenever "flying."

Owning a piece of software means it can be used when the owner chooses. Going online every "flight" puts control of software in the hands of others. I know people still quite happily flying several different flight sims are no longer "supported." If we didn't already own and have the discs, hard-drives, etc., we would have been out of luck years ago.

I have no desire to spend money and then be put in that situation.
    Last edited by Rupert; 09-24-2020 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typos

As a 55 year pvt pilot and a 25 year flight simmer I am blown away by msfs2020. I just began using it a week ago and have a lot to get used to but I am super impressed.

Lovely to see you're still hammering and welding small airstrips. MSFS - and so soon!
    I persevere and MSFS for me has become truly wonderful. Worth all the sweat.
    I've been following your lovely scenery since FS98, through X-Plane, to MSFS.
    My age is not far behind yours, Hee-hee.
    I have one longed-for request:
    OXENHOPE Airfield, West Yorkshire.. Please??
    It's been a longtime favourite, as I knew the area very well.
    (I'm in Northwest Kent now)
    Please would you consider it?
    I'd be like a puppy with a new toy.
    All the very best in working out the new SDK and its weirdness.

Quote Originally Posted by venerable View Post
    Hi Neil, thank you for this review. As I also started with the sim flying on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, and tested and used the various brands up to the beta of FS2020 mainly in the Swiss Alps. We may never forget, that simulations are not games. This means no matter how detailled the environment is modelled, if you get too close to real world objects the gap becomes visible. So for the other readers, it's a solid sim, but it's a sim. The flight physics are still too simplyfied on larger planes. Now the only thing microsoft has to solve quickly with asobo studios is fixing the software start problems, which were introduced late in the beta program and weren't solved for general availybility.
    Or to take a humoristic note from a SW developers quality conference, when the question was asked if they would fly a plane running on their own software and a women raised her hand, stating that this would be absolutely safe, as the plane wouln't be able to start. Compared to X-Plane 11.5 you have more out of the box, but still with a handful of bugs.
    Thanks, hope you get it working soon. Neil
    PS It's worth the wait.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfgarland View Post
    As a long time FS enthusiast like yourself, I really appreciate your work, and this article. Nice to hear unbiased opinion of the new version and eagerly awaiting for developers like yourself to place your mark of expertise on it. Thank YOU!
    I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, I am what you would call an enthusiastic amateur

Quote Originally Posted by sfgarland View Post
    As a long time FS enthusiast like yourself, I really appreciate your work, and this article. Nice to hear unbiased opinion of the new version and eagerly awaiting for developers like yourself to place your mark of expertise on it. Thank YOU!
    I want them to get rid of `PRESS ANY KEY'!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast