Interpreting my computer specs

Hi everyone,

This is more of a general computer question, and not one specific to MSFS 2020.

Could you please look at my computer specifications as shown in my signature.

I thought that I had 16 GB or RAM, and an 8 GB dedicated video card on top of that.

Could someone please confirm that that is what I do have.

Thank you.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

Hi Stanley! Looks to me like you have GPU memory of 8GB and 8GB of system RAM. Total graphics memory available is 16GB - 8GB dedicated GPU memory plus 8GB shared memory (RAM). You will need at least 16GB of RAM for MSFS 2020.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Hi Stanley! Looks to me like you have GPU memory of 8GB and 8GB of system RAM. Total graphics memory available is 16GB - 8GB dedicated GPU memory plus 8GB shared memory (RAM). You will need at least 16GB of RAM for MSFS 2020

Hi johnost,

Thank you for your reply.

Well, that is disappointing news. But I am glad to know. So I had better increase my RAM before I install MSFS 2020.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

I don't agree. I think you do have 16 GB of system ram, of which 8 GB is able to be shared or used as video memory. You could not share the entire system memory, you have to have some to run the operating system. I think you will be OK with what you have, especially if you have a good internet connection.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I run both Speccy and CPUZ. Speccy incorrectly shows my graphic card memory at 4.095 GB. CPUZ gives a much more detailed and correct analysis of 8 GB of DDR6 video memory and identifies the type and speed of the memory and video memory. Both are free at the level i run (Speccy does have three levels, two of which are fee charged).

BTW he is running the RTX 2070 which is an 8 GB video memory card.

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

That seems like an awfully intrusive program to answer this gentleman's question? I suspect CPUz will have more information than he will be able to understand, but it will clearly answer his original question.

Hi everyone,

First, thank you to everyone who chimed in to address my question.

I now have the definite answer. I was concerned that I didn't have sufficient RAM to run MSFS 2020, so I went to my local computer repair shop to see what I had. I asked them to see if I had 16 GB of RAM and an 8 GB video card. And while I was there, I also requested that, if I had less than 16 GB of RAM, to upgrade to 16 GB of RAM and also, while I was at it, to tell me what it would cost to go all the way to 32 GB of RAM.

So this repair shop confirmed to me that I did indeed have 16 GB of RAM and an 8 GB video card. Moreover, the price that they quoted to upgrade my RAM was reasonable, so I did that.

Thus, I now have my same 8 GB video card and 32 GB of RAM.

My computer specifications are shown in my updated signature.

Once again, I do appreciate all the feedback.

Within a few weeks, I hope to be purchasing the basic version of MSFS 2020 from Steam.

Stanley

Edited by Stanley777

That seems like an awfully intrusive program to answer this gentleman's question? I suspect CPUz will have more information than he will be able to understand, but it will clearly answer his original question.

I do use CPUz, GPUz, AsSSD, etc, but that program is a tell all for everything so that's why I gave a link to it. Do note that you should use the check drivers option. my uBlock Origin flagged it as malware or something.