Question for any recent Windows XP users

Skywatcher12

I'm considering switching FS9 to Win XP cause Win 10 sux.

I have a couple of concerns going with XP and can test one of those concerns.

There are certainly some benefits of older add-ons that will work again if running FS9 under Win XP.

My question and concern, has any XP user found any newer/later add-ons that won't work under Windows XP?

Might be an installer or the product itself not working correctly or supported under Win XP. Payware or freeware comments welcomed as I have a lot of both.

I can't think of anything that should have this problem that I know of.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Well, several utilities I'm using have become 64bit only (ADE, AIFP...), so for my WinXPx86 system I'm using the older versions, which I've kept over the years. Main use is for editing stuff and testing.

For my actual VA flying, I'm using a modern-ish (~2014) system with Win7x64Pro.

There's other utilities that use newer versions of .NET...

For freeware airports or aircraft I don't think there will be problems, I haven't found any. Maybe some newer payware installers won't work.

Hope this helps a bit...

Regards,

DDP.

Hope this helps a bit...

Regards,

DDP.

Yes, thanks, certainly does help. I was expecting some utilities as you mentioned may have a problem but for this sort of thing I do still have a Win 10 system I could use and transfer files too. Otherwise, as you have done, I could also use older versions of the now 64bit software.

The more I think about it, the more I would love to go to XP for FS9 forever. If anyone has any further info please share.

Mark Daniels

I installed FS9 on an old Win XP HDD years ago the day I first bought FS9. Over the years I have kept that HDD cloned to another HDD just in case something happens. I still use that HDD along with FS9. So far I have not come across any plane or addon that does not work with Win XP. A few might need SP2. I never installed SP3 on my drive. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies gents. Good to know there are no add-on issues. I know there certainly are a number of add-ons that won't work on anything but XP.

Another choice would be Windows 7 - runs FS2004 great and all the up to date utilities still run on it.

Yes Tom, I've been considering Win 7 as well. There are arguments for and against Win XP and Win 7 as being the best OS for FS9. Win XP would be easier as I am already running a Win XP system all set up. Totally enjoy messing around on the XP machine.

MSFS really doesn't do anything for me. Highly doubt it ever will although I may eventually buy it for a quick fly around here and there IF enough of the bugs ever get squashed. Have a feeling even add-ons like advanced aircraft will be quite a bug nightmare in MSFS.

It's clear for me I will never stop with FS9. There are so many add-ons and things to do it will no doubt keep me busy the rest of my life so just looking for the best platform to run it from in future years. Win 10 certainly isn't it. The more I do with FS9 in Win 10, the more issues I am likely going to come across. It's been a total pain already and I've hardly had time to use it with FS9 since switching from Win 7.

Mark Daniels

Mark, you continually talk about having issues with Windows 10.

Please tell us what they are? Also, what add-ons are not working with Windows 10?

We know that Windows XP is almost 20 years old, & Windows 7 about 11 years old. Obviously, these obsolete operating systems are not optimised to work at their peak with modern hardware. Personally, I would rather use an updated & modern operating system, that is well supported.

We know that both of those operating systems have reached end of life support, including security updates. This is not covered by any anti-virus system used, as it is an operating system core issue.

I have my 8 different versions of FS2004 working perfectly, in fact, smoother than any previous operating system I've had before, with no issues at all. If, on the odd chance, I do have an exe install that will not work, I just run it in compatibility mode, & it installs perfectly.

As I asked, please share your issues with us. As you say, the more you do with FS9 in Windows 10, the more issues you are getting, please share with us, as it will be usefull for us to be aware of your bad experiences.

Why would XP be the best operating system for FS9? I've had FS9 running in XP, Windows 7, 8 & even 8.1, with no issues at all.

By the way, I'm using a ASUS laptop, i5 8GB ram, obviously Windows 10 Home 64bit edition.

In all probability, I will be doing a 9th FS9 install, possibly with only Russian &/or Argentinian scenery, both pre 1950's with suitable aircraft. I prefer to keep my installs smallish & themed, thus preventing any scenery conflicts.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Mark, you continually talk about having issues with Windows 10.

Let's start with the most basic element, getting FS to simply work/run.

Robin, you continually talk about having NO issues with Windows 10 but you must resort to running FS9 in compatibility mode and as admin or your FS9 won't even start on Win 10. Do you not consider this an issue?

I don't need to do this.

Mark Daniels

Nope, not an issue. It's done once, never again, & takes less time to do than to type this sentence.

It's actually 7 mouse clicks. I'd rather do 7 mouse clicks once, than use an obsolete operating system.

Once that's done, it never has to be done again, ever. (dunno how 7 mouse clicks are a major issue, but anyway!)

Ok, that's issue 1 done.. next?

You brought up your major issues, I'm sure the community would be interested in your sharing them?

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Nope, not an issue. It's done once, never again, & takes less time to do than to type this sentence.

It's actually 7 mouse clicks. I'd rather do 7 mouse clicks once, than use an obsolete operating system.

Once that's done, it never has to be done again, ever. (dunno how 7 mouse clicks are a major issue, but anyway!)

Ok, that's issue 1 done.. next?

Are you running AI Smooth?

Mark Daniels

My AI Smooth works, & I'm more of a classic simmer & prefer the props, so I do not do the Boeings, 'Bus's & other payware tubeliner 'engine burning' type planes.

All my other payware stuff, even the older LAGO stuff works So I tip my hat to you if you prefer holding on to the older add-ons.

Myself, I'd rather move away from obsolete add-ons & look for newer updated aircraft, if i wanted to fly any particular model from the 'old days'.

Edited by zswobbie1

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

My AI Smooth works, & I'm more of a classic simmer & prefer the props, so I do not do the Boeings, 'Bus's & other payware tubeliner 'engine burning' type planes.

All my other payware stuff, even the older LAGO stuff works So I tip my hat to you if you prefer holding on to the older add-ons.

Myself, I'd rather move away from obsolete add-ons & look for newer updated aircraft, if i wanted to fly any particular model from the 'old days'.

And your AI Smooth is run with admin and XP2 compatibility?

So you admit Win 10 is no good for FS9 by suggesting we stick to modern add-ons. Kinda defeats the point doesn't it?

Wouldn't it be logical to run an old game on the operating systems it works well on and you can run everything ever created for it???

Mark Daniels

Mark, I have to admit that for me, and my 8 installs of FS2004, Windows 10 is perfect. As I do not use the older payware aircraft that you use, ALL my older pre Windows 7 add-ons work without any issues. Mea Culpa, if a developer does not update his payware. As I said, your older jet planes that you prefer, do not interest me, & if they did, I still would prefer an updated version.

Anyhow, you seem to prefer the older & obsolete add-ons & operating systems. Good luck.!

Still not too sure how I can admit that Windows 10 is no good for FS2004 when I have no issues, I'm also usingWindows 10 with FS2004 in 3 sims that I've built up, with a payware aircraft & freeware Aeroworx scenery. It just works!

Edited by zswobbie1

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Mark, I have to admit that for me, and my 8 installs of FS2004, Windows 10 is perfect. As I do not use the older payware aircraft that you use, ALL my older pre Windows 7 add-ons work without any issues. Mea Culpa, if a developer does not update his payware. As I said, your older jet planes that you prefer, do not interest me, & if they did, I still would prefer an updated version.

Anyhow, you seem to prefer the older & obsolete add-ons & operating systems. Good luck.!

Still not too sure how I can admit that Windows 10 is no good for FS2004 when I have no issues, I'm also using Windows 10 with FS2004 in 3 sims that I've built up, with a payware aircraft & freeware Aeroworx scenery. It just works!

You are suggesting Win 10 is the best OS but the small print says as long as we only use the add-ons that have had Win 10 updates. lol

We will have to disagree and I'll go back to Win XP or Win 7 thanks and recommend this to others who wish to run a 17 year old game.

The sticky is also incredibly bad advice. No one should be running compatibility modes or as admin unless absolutely necessary especially with a game like FS9. You need to understand why you likely need these settings and why others are best to not use them.

Mark Daniels

I'm not suggesting, I am stating that Windows 10 works perfectly with FS2004!

Good luck with unsupported obsolete software..

What rubbish.. your comment with regard to running FS2004 in compatibilty mode!

Even Microsoft recommends it!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/running-ms-flight-simulator-2004-on-windows-10-pc/c51eb23d-015d-480d-8772-b8fc23f0fe3b#:~:text=Click%20on%20the%20%27compatibility%27%20tab,check%20if%20the%20issue%20persists.

Very irresponsible for you to post comments such as that!

Anyhow.. enough of this nonsensical debate. If Microsoft can also recommend using compatibility mode. thats good enough for me, and the thousands of others that are using that mode.

You have made unsubstantiated statements of how 'bad' things can get by using FS2004 in Windows 10. Many forums & sites say otherwise.

It's pointless carrying on this debate any further.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

What rubbish.. your comment with regard to running FS2004 in compatibilty mode!

Even Microsoft recommends it!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/running-ms-flight-simulator-2004-on-windows-10-pc/c51eb23d-015d-480d-8772-b8fc23f0fe3b#:~:text=Click%20on%20the%20%27compatibility%27%20tab,check%20if%20the%20issue%20persists.

Very irresponsible for you to post comments such as that!

Anyhow.. enough of this nonsensical debate. If Microsoft can also recommend using compatibility mode. thats good enough for me, and the thousands of others that are using that mode.

The subject you linked is about the DRM changes. Compatibility settings don't fix that. lol

Irresponsible is having no idea why you need to use the modes, no idea if everyone else should be using those modes and no idea what those modes affect but telling the world to use them just because that's what you had to do.

I asked you about AI Smooth and you ignored it. I already know how you are very likely running it and most importantly, I understand WHY! Question is, how many others who followed your advice now run FS9 without AI Smooth because they have no idea why it stopped working. That's just one piece of FS software that will now fail through bad advice.

Mark Daniels

Rubbish again.. Here we go..rom Microsoft..

fRunning MS Flight Simulator 2004 on Windows 10 PC.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the issue that you are facing currently, and we in Community will try to resolve your issue the best way we can.

I would suggest you to install the MS Flight Simulator in a compatibility mode and check if it helps. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows.

Follow these steps to install the game in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the game from the website.

b. Right-click on the setup file and click on ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

(I chose XP mode, & it obviously works)

d. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

(I did not need to restart the PC, it worked straight away)

I answered you in post #15

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

You understand Microsoft throw out generic replies without even looking at the question?

The guy cannot run FS2004 because of the DRM changes. MS are telling him to use compatibility settings. Can you see that there is zero thought given to that response by MS? lol

Post 16 question you left unanswered.

Mark Daniels

Hi,

That DRM issue is this I suppose?

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?293174-This-is-a-warning-to-all-fs2004-users-who-run-this-program-on-microsoft-windows-7!!!!

That was a nice one M$ pulled... :D

Personally, I'm sticking with Win7 until there's a game I absolutely have to have (most new games don't support Win7 anymore), and then I'll upgrade. I'll probably need a new PC as well then...

Regards,

DDP.

Skywatcher12 just go ahead and install FS9 on Win XP. It works and it works well. Like I said earlier I still use my original install of FS9 from when I bought it. I bought it the day it came out. I have two computers that I built myself. My older one is what I use for FS9 and FS9 only. My new one I use for everything else including many modern games. I tried the $1 Xbox to PC "trial" of MSFS2020 and quickly got bored with it. I am a RW pilot and tried the C152. After using it a few days I just got bored and also tired of all the glitches with the game. I have gone back to flying airliners in FS9 and I am very happy.

FS9 and Win XP just work together. They might be obsolete as some will say. But for just running FS9 it works great for me. You should do what makes you happy and what works for you.