Who has given up on fs2020?

Aaron, I love your work, very much appreciated. If you are telling me that I can't add custom sound files to the new sim then this is another reason to not jump in just yet. I will stay with FSX... and your great sounds!

Best regards,

Dave.

My rig specs: ASUS P8Z77-V Rev3 IZ77 4D3 LGA1155; Intel Core I7 3770K Ivy Bridge3 5gHz/8Mo; SSD 500Go Agility3; DD SATA-III, 1To, 7200T, 64Mo cache; DDRAM III PC-12800, 2 x 4 Go; NVidia 1060GTX TI SC 6Gb 1563-E3 (not over-clocked); Power supply - 850W Corsair HX850; Windows 7 Pro 64bits, FSX Gold (SP1+2, Acceleration).

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've given up on FS2020 yet again. I keep hoping it works. But each time I come back to try it it lets me down. Today I tried a flight from KSAN to KRNO in the A320 mod. Perfect flight up until the autopilot levels me out at 10K ft about 60 miles from KRNO. Then the plane immediately turns sharply too the right and nose dives into the ground. This is the 2nd time since August this has happened. But each time it's some new problem with this sim. I am going to shelve it for the next few moths or even a year and go back to FS9 again. FS9 just works even though it isn't a scenery simulator like this new game.

• 8 months later...
The game and it's download files are just astonomically too big. I gave up on the game when I had to download a gigantic update that took up nearly my whole SSD and it just "fixed the clouds". Really, with all the issues everyone is having, you're worried about how the clouds look. Or my favorite was when I landed and there was a graphical glitch in the terrain (on the runway) that caused my plane to crash. I like how they just painted the runway and taxiways over the rough terrain to make it look like a runway without smoothing the surface. Nothing like trying a widebody across a corn field. Super disappointed in the developers in this one. Sad to say the game they released over a decade earlier is better than the latest and greatest.

What you are experiencing is not a graphics glitch in the program. You have a slow data retrieval component somewhere. This will create what appear to be cracks or humps in the runway. It may be your ISP is slow, or you may be running on a HDD. It is possible very slow memory might also be a problem. The issue is well documented. This sim uses a HUGE amount of data.

I have never experienced this as i have a reasonably fast ISP and a fast M.2.

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

People were jumping way too early. Crazy, crazy stuff!

Just did my first flight in FS9 in 3 months, been busy, what a blast it was! Total enjoyment beginning to end.

My advice is to look at what makes you happy and be happy. Let others struggle along for years to come while you just have a great time flying planes in your flight sim.

Edit: Oh, and not a single issue at all during my FS session! None. Zip. Just total enjoyment.

I'm right there with you Mark... I always enjoy every single flight on my beloved FS9 simulator. It runs perfectly, looks absolutely beautiful due to all the advances in addons thru the decades, and it runs like silk. FS9 will always be my favorite!

2021 Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6GB GDDR6, 500GB and 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD, 144MHZ 1920×1080P 300Nits ISP screen,

Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS, (2nd Display) Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 TTF Monitor, CHProducts FlightYoke & RudderPedals, Logitech 3D Pro Extreme joystick

I'm right there with you Mark... I always enjoy every single flight on my beloved FS9 simulator. It runs perfectly, looks absolutely beautiful due to all the advances in addons thru the decades, and it runs like silk. FS9 will always be my favorite!

FS9 was my favorite too, years ago. Then FSX came along and I enjoyed it even more, for over a decade. With add-ons like Ultimate Terrain, it was a terrific flight simulator-- and still is, within its limits. But for me, when MSFS appeared a year ago it blew them all away, and it is getting better all the time. We all have our favorites, and that's good. I have certainly found mine, and there is no going back.

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB ram, Intel i7-10700F, GeForce RTX 2080 Super, Ultra graphics settings

Most new and veteran flight simmers do not want to learn the intricacies of software and hardware. Their lack of knowledge frustrates them. Every hour of exploring the maze of set-up is resented. They want to fly; to learn navigation; to explore; and for overall to experience pleasure. FS2020 was to be the golden grail and now after only a short time, disappointment has set in. It turns out that it’s the same Christmas tree with shinier ornaments. If I were in charge (how many times have you heard that?) I would specify the EXACT controls/systems hardware necessary to run my flight sim—require that customers buy them (if you can’t afford them, well, …) such that installation and flying away would simply be to connect your new controllers and stuff--that is specified--and push “GO “and fly away. As for add-ons, the program makers would demand they be plug-and-go and if you don’t know how to do that take up another trade. Lastly, I would want to attract new flyers and to woo away those using other flight sims. Many of these have PTSD and are afraid of changing ANYTHING (if it ain’t broke…). So I would have a great operator’s manual and support team in place, at least for the first year with the assumption that the customer is technically incompetent. In other words, make the experience of purchasing, set-up, and running the software easy. I don’t see that happening for many years to come. Lastly (I know) to all you techies, electronics technicians, and software writers who boast here, “I had no problems and love FS2020”, we’re impressed and happy for you.
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

Wouldn't we all! (chuckle!)

Actually, that sort of shake-and-bake solution exists - they are called FAA certified training devices. Special pro version of FSX (P3D usually) or XP11; special panel and control hardware; completely dedicated, totally off-line computer; multi-screen visual. Nothing can be altered in any way without voiding the FAA certification, but as long as that cert is in force, you can log some or all of the events for various requirements.

Just spent 2 weeks instructing on this sort of thing, and one of them broke! Happens to the best of them....

You nailed it. The challenge is the millions of combinations of hardware, operating system configuration, simulators and add-ons, combined by the being controlled by people who don't understand their systems.

Unfortunately, the alternative is a much more limited system that costs about ten times as much.

Cheers

Luke

If anything, I am more interested in MSFS than ever before. Why you ask? I went to the FSExpo for the day yesterday and I would say the majority of booths were running MSFS for their demos. It was fun to try out all the latest hardware (and there was a lot), using MSFS as the platform. This gave me a big "booster" shot in the arm to fire up MSFS and do some simming today.

Most new and veteran flight simmers do not want to learn the intricacies of software and hardware. Their lack of knowledge frustrates them. Every hour of exploring the maze of set-up is resented. They want to fly; to learn navigation; to explore; and for overall to experience pleasure. FS2020 was to be the golden grail and now after only a short time, disappointment has set in. It turns out that it’s the same Christmas tree with shinier ornaments. If I were in charge (how many times have you heard that?) I would specify the EXACT controls/systems hardware necessary to run my flight sim—require that customers buy them (if you can’t afford them, well, …) such that installation and flying away would simply be to connect your new controllers and stuff--that is specified--and push “GO “and fly away. As for add-ons, the program makers would demand they be plug-and-go and if you don’t know how to do that take up another trade. Lastly, I would want to attract new flyers and to woo away those using other flight sims. Many of these have PTSD and are afraid of changing ANYTHING (if it ain’t broke…). So I would have a great operator’s manual and support team in place, at least for the first year with the assumption that the customer is technically incompetent. In other words, make the experience of purchasing, set-up, and running the software easy. I don’t see that happening for many years to come. Lastly (I know) to all you techies, electronics technicians, and software writers who boast here, “I had no problems and love FS2020”, we’re impressed and happy for you.

There is a lot of truth in what you say. Every so often someone considering buying MSFS writes to this forum (and others) asking for advice: should they buy it? The stock advice that I offer, which is hardly original, is that MSFS requires four things for success: some basic familiarity with PCs; a decent system (not high-end but reasonably fast); a willingness to spend time learning; and a lot of patience and perseverance, because MSFS is a work in progress and needs to be understood as such. For those who don't possess all four, MSFS is not recommended; at least for now, they should stick with an older flight sim, and indeed some do. Hopefully, in time MSFS will be refined to the point that the last requirement can be relaxed. But that may take a while. In the interim, I am personally willing to deal with the glitches (especially involving new updates) because the rewards in this sim are far beyond anything I ever expected to see.

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB ram, Intel i7-10700F, GeForce RTX 2080 Super, Ultra graphics settings

Edited by cobalt