Who has given up on fs2020?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks, MSFS2020 has some serious growing up pains to go through. There are still many things that are just puzzling to me, but then again, it's Microsoft, and they are not known to be super intuitive.

I have been using X-Plane 11 as a adjunct training tool towards my IFR rating, and it is a very good training device. Not as pretty as MSFS2020 bt far, but way more useful. Here are some of the things I noticed, and I'm sure this is not new to anyone on this thread.

The glide slope indicators next to the runways are becoming visible way too late ( about 1-2 miles out).

I hope that will be fixed in one of the future updates, because in reality, these indicators can be seen at least 8-12 miles out.

When saving a flight, for some reason, the weather automatically sets itself to clear cloys, and there is no way to access the weather button in the menu. So that defeats any realistic travel scenario, where one would want to fly from one point to the next, and then park the plane over night, and then continue the next day or so.

Some airports are missing, and that's what baffles me. Not that I expect every airport to be there (as it is in XPlane, but why is there every tiny airstrip around Stuttgart, Germany, but not the Stuttgart airport? Doesn't make any sense to me. This may not be relevant to anyone else, but I happen to been raised in that area, and Stuttgart airport was the place where my passion for aviation started. So, yes, its sentimental, but again, why is the main airport in this area (an international airport) omitted? Strange.

As I played wit more with the new sim, and I have to call it play, because at this point it's more play than training, I found a couple of other annoying things, not worth mentioning here.

One thing that I am curious id; will there be an option in the future to link MSFS2020 to Fore Flight? And will it be linked up with Pilot Edge, a real ATC communication program that uses actual ATC professionals, not amateurs like Vat Sim? These are the things I'm hoping for will be fixed at some point in the future. Until then...

I keep using X Plane for training, and MSFS2020 for playing around and enjoying the beautiful scenery.

Some airports are missing, and that's what baffles me. Not that I expect every airport to be there (as it is in XPlane, but why is there every tiny airstrip around Stuttgart, Germany, but not the Stuttgart airport? Doesn't make any sense to me. This may not be relevant to anyone else, but I happen to been raised in that area, and Stuttgart airport was the place where my passion for aviation started. So, yes, its sentimental, but again, why is the main airport in this area (an international airport) omitted? Strange.

One thing that I am curious id; will there be an option in the future to link MSFS2020 to Fore Flight? And will it be linked up with Pilot Edge, a real ATC communication program that uses actual ATC professionals, not amateurs like Vat Sim? These are the things I'm hoping for will be fixed at some point in the future. Until then...

I keep using X Plane for training, and MSFS2020 for playing around and enjoying the beautiful scenery.

If you pull up the Stuttgart airport in Bing Maps it is blurred out, along with many German military facilities. So it looks like it has something to do with the source data from Bing and the German government.

https://www.mil-airfields.de/flugsimulator/why-is-stuttgart-airport-missing.html

Regarding Foreflight, see the link below.

https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/articles/204115275-How-do-I-connect-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-FS-X-or-FS-2004-to-ForeFlight-

PilotEdge supports the new sim as well. I might suggest a quick check of the developer's or vendor's websites before assuming something does, or doesn't work, first. ;)

If you pull up the Stuttgart airport in Bing Maps it is blurred out, along with many German military facilities. So it looks like it has something to do with the source data from Bing and the German government.

I just pulled up the following Australian military airports in Bing Maps and the runways are not displayed -

Richmond RAAF base (YSRI)

Amberley RAAF base (YAMB)

HMAS Albatros (YJBY)

Yet Williamtown RAAF base (YWLM) is displayed but that is probably due to the fact that it is shared with commercial operators.

IMHO because of security and/or so that everyone doesn't consider them to be airports used by anyone.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Lastly...they compiled the sound for each aircraft into an unreadable Binary that is locked inside a PCK

file. Now we have no way to create new sounds for add-on aircraft unless some genius figures a new way to do this. Why make it so difficult for developers?

I don't have the new sim yet but this is disappointing to hear, as I liked how accessible and easy it is to tweak sounds in the older sims. It sound like they've gone the route of other games, using a compiled sound-bank generated by a middle-ware audio tool that associates sound files and envelopes with event triggers and such, like FMOD, Wwise, etc. Hopefully this will all be documented in a SDK, and addressed eventually by enterprising freeware or payware developers.

- dcc

Not I. Uninstalled it and re-installed after doing some PC housekeeping. It's a learning curve no doubt. Having a great time with MSFS 2020.

One issue .....my Beloved Dog thinks it is okay to get under the desk and lay on my Rudder Pedals to hang out with me.....8>)

Give up?!? NEVER!

I'm having too much fun learning how to get my yoke, quadrant and pedals configured and I AM enjoying flying that 152 a whole bunch. Yes there ARE bugs in this brand new thing and I am confident there ARE competent bug exterminators out there who will, given a little time, find and kill them... at least the biggest ones.

Dealing with the issues and even my needing to buy a new graphics card is still cheaper than taking up golf or drinking.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Try something like a Thrustmaster (T Flight HOTAS 1), for example. It will automatically assign controls and is very user friendly. (my old Microsoft Sidewinder would not work at all and only crash the plane). I have a I7 9700K, Zotac NVidia 2070 Super Mini, 32 GB memory, (2) 1 TB SSDs (MicroCenter PowerSpec G434).

Try something like a Thrustmaster (T Flight HOTAS 1), for example. It will automatically assign controls and is very user friendly. (my old Microsoft Sidewinder would not work at all and only crash the plane). I have a I7 9700K, Zotac NVidia 2070 Super Mini, 32 GB memory, (2) 1 TB SSDs (MicroCenter PowerSpec G434).

Yes, the T16000m default settings were mostly fine and easily tweaked.

They should of made it more like fsx, but with the better scenery.

Then you would hear that all it is, is an upgrade to FSX, and not a new program. We've been upgrading for years now so it was time for a fresh start.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

I have deleted FSX. This runs smoother than FSX (although it's true I have just spent £3,000 on a new PC). I know there are issues and frustrations with it, but when I look at it, I don't care. My Saitek X52 system only has about 25% functionality with it, again, don't care. This is the future alright.

All the people who've bought this new sim and then complained about how new it is are just showing themselves up, really.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

You’re not wrong Tim.

Don’t know about you, but I always had flickering textures & blurry tiles etc with FSX. I never managed to fix this despite a lot of trying over the years. This new sim has none of that & it’s so smooth!

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Yes, flickering apron textures are now a thing of the past, and so is the dreaded wobbly fog around hills & mountains. I've even seen part of a rainbow through the clouds over Wales!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I haven't bothered really reading anything except the title however I just want to point anyone who doesn't know to No Man's Sky as a shining example of how a developer can turn a product around. Let's all give Asobo a chance and consider our initial purchase a long-term investment

• 3 months later...
I'm like you FS2004. All settings on high, ALL my planes with fully functional wing views from all angles, many scenery tweaks and NO problems whatsoever! The realism, the efficiency and the pleasure to fly is 200% spot on, no problems! :)

So you're saying you joined this forum website just to tell us you don't want to join this forum website? Okeley-Dokely-Doo. Cheers mate. Oh.... and leave swiftly lest the door strike thee upon thy bum and make an ouchie.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I got close at point, it was making my head go fuzzy. Happy I stayed with it I've come out the other end and the sim is fantastic. awesome, even with the few bugs left to deal with..........

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz