Generic autopilot for MSFS 2020

Hi everyone,

I used to do FSX until about 2017. I have done very little flight simulation since then, but I plan to buy MSFS 2020 around Thanksgiving.

I mainly enjoy flying around to study geography. Thus, while I have learned a great deal about aviation from MS Flight Simulator, I don't want to devote a lot of time to manually controlling the aircraft and learning the controls for each kind of plane. I prefer to rely upon autopilot and have a standardized control mechanism.

I found a great autopilot and control mechanism from some FSX aircraft, but I don't remember which one it was. I am posting a photograph of a virtual flight that I took near Keflavik, Iceland. Please observe the control on the left side of the image, just above the instrumentation.

Near_Keflavik.jpg

I figured out how to download that instrument to any aircraft that I flew, and I used it regularly so that I would not have to learn the controls of individual planes.

So here is my question, please. Once I install MSFS 2020, will I be able to acquire this control or a similar control to use with all my planes?

Thank you.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

So here is my question, please. Once I install MSFS 2020, will I be able to acquire this control or a similar control to use with all my planes?

No, not at the moment (and it's uncertain when - or whether - you ever will be able to). Currently there's no way of adding gauges to an existing cockpit.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the replies.

At first, Kronzky's answer -- that gauges could not be added -- disappointed me, although of course I appreciated his contribution.

However, Kapitan's statement about handing the control to AI copilot is intriguing. It may solve the entire issue. I can't wait to try it.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

You can also add autopilot to a plane by editing its config file (systems.cfg). The only drawback is that you have to operate it blindly (i.e. via the keyboard).

Thank you, Kronzky, for this information.

Stanley

• 2 weeks later...
You can also add autopilot to a plane by editing its config file (systems.cfg). The only drawback is that you have to operate it blindly (i.e. via the keyboard).

I just upgraded to the Super Duper deluxe. The Diamonds don't have systems.cgf. Go figure. Unless I'm missing it, I already modified my 152, it works fine, but it has a systems.cfg.

Yeah, the config files for the premium planes are encrypted, so you can't edit them...

(I originally wanted to get the premium packages too, but when I heard about the encryption I decided to stay with the standard version, and give my money to devs who let me tweak their planes.)

But what happens if you just pop a systems.cfg from a regular plane into the premium's plane folder? Will this overwrite the default one perhaps? (Of course, it might not be a perfect match, but it's worth a try.)

Yeah, the config files for the premium planes are encrypted, so you can't edit them...

(I originally wanted to get the premium packages too, but when I heard about the encryption I decided to stay with the standard version, and give my money to devs who let me tweak their planes.)

But what happens if you just pop a systems.cfg from a regular plane into the premium's plane folder? Will this overwrite the default one perhaps? (Of course, it might not be a perfect match, but it's worth a try.)

who said that?

Im already using a tweaked 787 MOD that made several improvements on the default just search for 787 in the github site

All planes are editable easy, xml files edited with notepad

Besides you dont even have to worry backing up the original files because all changes go in the Community folder leaving default files untouched

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

who said that?

Im already using a tweaked 787 MOD that made several improvements on the default just search for 787 in the github site

All planes are editable easy, xml files edited with notepad

Besides you dont even have to worry backing up the original files because all changes go in the Community folder leaving default files untouched

I've been told this by several people (e.g. this and these guys on Avsim).

What kind of mods have you done? Instruments? They're stored separately from the plane, and are not affected by encryption. Liveries? They don't need config files.

Edited by Kronzky

yes, instruments, in fsx p3d nobody messed with .air files either

we are just in the beginning, to be able make better air files you need to know what your doing, you need a manpower that matches or beats the Asobo staff.

Im sure if in future some PMDG or another serious developpers has better ideas for files that are encrypted MS will give them the key.

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

We're not just talking .air files here.

Premium planes don't have config files for aircraft, engines, flight_model, or systems.

So, something as simple as changing your tail number or the crew (or, like in the case above, adding an autopilot) is impossible.

(Actually, the unencrypted config files are available on some darker corners of the web, but you shouldn't have to jump through those kinds of hoops, just to do some tweaks to the planes you paid for.)

Hi stanley. I just got done trying to do that to no avail. In the 747 cockpit I tried to get the autopilot gauge to float with newuiwindow but it didn't work. So i guess only some gauges will do that. I too like flying with autopilot. I've only had fs2200 a few days, but it seems really crappy compared to fsx. I would recommend not getting it from stream, because they map some buttons on your controller to steam.

Already gave that a whirl. No joy. I did, however find out that restarting your computer will fix the non responsive A/P in GA aircraft. Was getting the crazy port turn and dive with the 172, SR22, Diamonds and discovered that a restart of windows has so far worked to fix this annoyance.