Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Generic autopilot for MSFS 2020

1. Default Generic autopilot for MSFS 2020

Hi everyone,

I used to do FSX until about 2017. I have done very little flight simulation since then, but I plan to buy MSFS 2020 around Thanksgiving.

I mainly enjoy flying around to study geography. Thus, while I have learned a great deal about aviation from MS Flight Simulator, I don't want to devote a lot of time to manually controlling the aircraft and learning the controls for each kind of plane. I prefer to rely upon autopilot and have a standardized control mechanism.

I found a great autopilot and control mechanism from some FSX aircraft, but I don't remember which one it was. I am posting a photograph of a virtual flight that I took near Keflavik, Iceland. Please observe the control on the left side of the image, just above the instrumentation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Near_Keflavik.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	451.6 KB 
ID:	221651

I figured out how to download that instrument to any aircraft that I flew, and I used it regularly so that I would not have to learn the controls of individual planes.

So here is my question, please. Once I install MSFS 2020, will I be able to acquire this control or a similar control to use with all my planes?

Thank you.

Stanley
    Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X
    Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley777 View Post
    So here is my question, please. Once I install MSFS 2020, will I be able to acquire this control or a similar control to use with all my planes?
    No, not at the moment (and it's uncertain when - or whether - you ever will be able to). Currently there's no way of adding gauges to an existing cockpit.

The "Acme" autopilot from FS of old does not exist in FS20. The GA aircraft have it integrated into the Garmin GPS and the jets have bespoke setups.
    Vern.

Blog Entries

however you can handle controls to AI copilot and he will fly the plane for you in whatever direction you want while you look at the view
    Kapitan
    Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Must admit I haven't tried that yet.

Didn't the old Bruce Artwick "ATP" have that feature? (Never used that one).

Wonder if they will land it for you..
    Vern.

6. Default

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the replies.

At first, Kronzky's answer -- that gauges could not be added -- disappointed me, although of course I appreciated his contribution.

However, Kapitan's statement about handing the control to AI copilot is intriguing. It may solve the entire issue. I can't wait to try it.

Stanley
    Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X
    Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

You can also add autopilot to a plane by editing its config file (systems.cfg). The only drawback is that you have to operate it blindly (i.e. via the keyboard).

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kronzky View Post
    You can also add autopilot to a plane by editing its config file (systems.cfg). The only drawback is that you have to operate it blindly (i.e. via the keyboard).
    Thank you, Kronzky, for this information.

Stanley

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kronzky View Post
    I just upgraded to the Super Duper deluxe. The Diamonds don't have systems.cgf. Go figure. Unless I'm missing it, I already modified my 152, it works fine, but it has a systems.cfg.

Yeah, the config files for the premium planes are encrypted, so you can't edit them...
    (I originally wanted to get the premium packages too, but when I heard about the encryption I decided to stay with the standard version, and give my money to devs who let me tweak their planes.)

But what happens if you just pop a systems.cfg from a regular plane into the premium's plane folder? Will this overwrite the default one perhaps? (Of course, it might not be a perfect match, but it's worth a try.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast