Joystick sensitivity and null zones on a REAL 727

Many folks are having issues with Joystick sensitivity, null zones...should be less? should be more?

We are also waiting for addons of classic jets that were traditionally flown by hand

I came across this interesting landing video of a 727-100, watch how the pilot deals with the Yoke

https://www.facebook.com/aviacionmexico/videos/844253196056284/?

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Great video Kapitan, thanks for the link (even if I did struggle to understand what was being said)

He was certainly fighting that yoke wasn’t he? Still it was a good landing & better than most of mine LOL

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

yes! he was making small corrections cause he had a crosswind.

Important to note that after the autopilot is disconnected (audible tone) he applies a lot of trim (you can see the wheel spinning) to adjust nose down for the new gear and flap position.

This trims the plane perfectly and that creates slightly larger null zone. Also the lower the speed the higher the null zone cause there is less air to press the ailerons. At high/cruise speeds any minor movement makes the plane turn

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

My father was a UAL pilot for a long time, and he hated the 727's.

He said they were a royal ****** to try and land in the slightest little crosswind. So naturally, wherever he went to land one, no matter what the winds may HAVE been before he started his approach, now the wind had come out of 90° to the runway heading, and was at gale force. Gusty, of course.

Never failed.

He started with UAL on the DC-8's, and when they got rid of them, they gave him a choice. Nice to have seniority. Anywho, they told him he could go with the 747, or 727. He took the 727's. He was tired of week long trips overseas, with the "stretch 8's". Cargo OR passengers. He really didn't differentiate. He flew the 727's for a couple of years, then told UAL that either they put him in something else, or he was quitting.

They put him in the 737's, and he had found a home. He loved the "mini-pig", as he called them.

UAL used them as short-haul mostly, and this fit my father perfectly. Up and down the west coast, doing the short, commuter type hops. Mostly as a Standby Pilot. Any Captain called in sick, or whatever, he'd take the flight. He loved it.

He was based at KSFO, and he had been there so long that when he went to check in with KSFO Tower, he would just say "Hey, hey, hey! It's Faaaaaaat Albert!". In that voice Cosby used. His name was actually Alfred but hey, it worked for him. The tower would give him the landing info, and welcome him home :D

Ok, I've wasted enough time. I won't tell y'all about how he got the Model A Ford he used as his "airport" car. Even had the UAL parking sticker last I saw it...

Have fun, all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Mine was a captain DC6 in the 50s

Comet 4 early 60s

B707 late 60s

B747 mid 70s

and as a kid and teen I flew with him in transatlantic flights from Buenos Aires to London Rome or New York in all those 3 jets

Kapitan