FS 2020 is a Hot Mess

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This shouldn't have been put out !! I dont think the developers ever flew in one of the previous MS flight Sims.What a hodge podge of unthought out sporadic junk.This was 6 months away from being ready.

I'll bet you in 6 years it's still not ready.

What a different world it is to what it was prior to release. I did try and warn. lol

Mark Daniels

I'll be surprised if it's still under development in 6 months.

I didn't want to go that far in order to not get slammed again! lol

I do think it will keep going as people have eternal optimism and the product will remain viable for MS for quite a while yet.

However, people are already seeing all these things they thought were a thing of the past are more of the future than ever before. eg bugs, the need to tweak, performance issues.

People also thought there would be no need to purchase anything apart from the core sim as it will have it all. I think they are coming around to understanding MSFS will require more purchasing than any other sim and likely at costs much higher than any other previous sim.

In summary, it'll be a money pit of endless frustration.

Mark Daniels

It's got issues to be sure. But I think a lot of people now have a very fond memory of FSX/P3d and don't remember what a complete train wreck that was at delivery. 18ish years can really do a lot to erase the pain. I don't think there was a computer on the planet that could run vanilla FSX at more than 15 FPS on release day... I can run FS2020 at 40fps right out of the box.

MS has a lot to learn about how to do entertainment software in 2020. They will get walked all over if they don't move fast on fixes. But I do fear they internally just don't know how to compete in this market anymore. Maybe they'll learn, maybe they will not.

But here is the thing... It was months from the day FSX dropped till any meaningful fixes came along. This time, two weeks to fix some of the most objectionable problems. Better than the past, but not nearly as responsive as many publishers.

There are a lot of things about the sim that I think show that few if any of the devs have genuine flight experience. There is a lot about it that says that they never used a previous version. However, in fairness, its possible they did use a previous version and recognized that the user interface was woefully out of date even in 2006, and worse today.

Problem is the new interface is not better, its just glossier. Not sure if that is the fault of MS or Asobo, but it is the case. Many things are not obvious, both in the main menus and in the sim. But, a bit of hunting around can find you most of the bindings you would have had in FSX, its just harder to do.

I think the sim itself is actually just fine. The problem is that half of the advanced systems in the bigger birds aren't modeled at all right now. Thats atrocious honestly. The default airliners in FSX were pretty clunky too.. in 2006. It's surprising that they haven't improved their ability to deliver this stuff at release.

Shocking that Garmin let their name be stamped on the sad approximation of their great real world equipment! Seriously, if I was a CEO over there I'd be way up in someones face about such a cruddy approximation of my real world product.

But just the same, the sim, behind all of that is actually pretty good. It does things FSX never did right (slow flight, stalls, etc).

I hope they stay on it, its a good start. But I agree it wasn't ready for retail release, they should have postponed, and I'm sure Asobo wanted to postpone, but MS is a big BIG contract, and if they demanded Aug18, then it goes on Aug18... So that is probably more about MS than it is about Asobo.

Was hoping for a better product, but its plenty good enough. And its way better than FSX was at release.

Edited by Kurtvw

Kurt, dont bother with these users

learpilot a newbie with 35 posts

mr zippy - not into msfs yet

Skywatcher12 isnt using it either

As soon as some user reports some bug, only to be shown later it was more likely his own inability, but in those cases where it needs improvement, and there are many...lots of users that for some reason are still in other sims jump on the thread with "told you so..."

hey guys, stay in the forums of your own sim, why are you naggin here

We users of msfs are loving it and finding it difficult to eat and sleep properly....haha, that is the main concern.

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

We users of msfs are loving it and finding it difficult to eat and sleep properly....haha, that is the main concern.

Remind me to quote you in something like 3 years. lol

The first of the clear fanboys. We are all following flight sims. No one has their own specific forum.

Mark Daniels

Kurt, dont bother with these users

learpilot a newbie with 35 posts

mr zippy - not into msfs yet

Skywatcher12 isnt using it either

As soon as some user reports some bug, only to be shown later it was more likely his own inability, but in those cases where it needs improvement, and there are many...lots of users that for some reason are still in other sims jump on the thread with "told you so..."

We understand you fanboys wont find any fault and thats fine you have a right to your opinion

I didn't want to go that far in order to not get slammed again! lol

I do think it will keep going as people have eternal optimism and the product will remain viable for MS for quite a while yet.

Problem is it won't have anything to do with optimism among the users, those users have already spent the money and they won't be spending enough from this point forward to keep it going, it will only have to do with return on investment and as soon as sales wane on the xbox version (that's probably being pushed hard at this moment) MS will axe this project just like they axed FSX and Flight!, more than likely long before all the bugs have been worked out of either the PC or the xbox version. We've seen that happen already twice, and once again with DTG's FSW. It's just economics, scrape the gravy off the top and f**k everything else. That's what happens after 20 yrs of "every kid gets a trophy" unfortunately.

They're all "my forums", I've been here helping people with their FS problems since FS2002 when the forums were still text-based and you could use HTML in your posts, don't give me this horsesh*t about "your forum vs my forum". You're the newcomer here.

jees, these whiner posts.

just dont play it then. many 10 k of ppl having fun with the sim.

vatsim is on now , and they hardly can handle the traffic, same for fseconomy.

a forum is meant for helping ppl out with questions hey have or issues. not for useless whining.

no one is denying there are loads of issues that needs solving, but its very flyable right now.

the mindset of some ppl is just wrong.

Sorry some of you are having issues. From my own experience however (and the majority of the people I speak to), it's been nothing but a smooth and enjoyable ride; no major issues encountered.

It's still early days, so for those of you who are having problems, my advice is to stick with it.

Dominic

Well the good news is the first patch didn't break anything and it might just be placebo but loading time getting in flight seemed a bit quicker. However while it is useable for GA if you avoid the autopilot and great fun for sightseeing, still not quite primetime for serious "tube" flying where you need everything working just so.
Vern.

Problem is it won't have anything to do with optimism among the users, those users have already spent the money and they won't be spending enough from this point forward to keep it going, it will only have to do with return on investment

Yes to the last part but they get return by suggesting a 10 year life cycle and building "expectation" with the current release rather than "disappointment."

This continues sales.

People who have bought MSFS write positive reviews, recommend it to others, say things like Dominic did above, "It's still early days, so for those of you who are having problems, my advice is to stick with it."

And this is how modern day marketing works, it's a scam. If people reviewed what they have in front of them and without expectation, this sim is a mess. From this point on, MSFS owners live in hope and write reviews and post positive comments on forums based on hope not on what they actually have in front of them.

Many modern games never get finished. Developers work on them until the returns fall off then they do one of 2 things:

1. Dump the game

2. Release a new version getting you to pay for what you have already paid for and should've received the first time

There is no business model that can claim a 10 year life cycle! It's ridiculous! lol

People are openly accepting this kind of statement. This is why today we have nothing but alpha releases showcased as full releases and we see many games that are never actually finished.

Comment and review on the full game you paid for. It is supposed to be in a ready for release state. Bugs and problems should be minimal.

People are not doing this. If you look at the Steam ratings of mostly positive, it's totally false. The developer stating a 10 year life cycle totally skews the true rating the game should currently be showing. Many, many people are not reviewing the product. They are reviewing a future each of them is hoping for.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Many modern games never get finished. Developers work on them until the returns fall off then they do one of 2 things:

1. Dump the game

2. Release a new version getting you to pay for what you have already paid for and should've received the first time.

You've obviously never played "No Man's Sky" then?

To further my point; what about the continuous updates and improvements to X-Plane 11?

Mark, from the get go your posts have been negative towards Flight Simulator 2020; you've never really given it a chance.

The team and I are trying to promote something which we believe is truly special, and something which benefits everyone (even those using older versions of Flight Simulator). If you really can't see the bigger picture then that is a shame.

Dominic

I wonder if many negative comments are from those who like me wonder why many of the 'problems/issues' weren't discovered during beta testing.

Isn't beta testing supposed to 'discover' bugs?

Maybe MS only chose people with a a thorough knowledge of FSX (or earlier) instead of including some "mums and dads" (if you know what I mean).

I remember when those YouTube videos started to appear most (well all the ones I watched), they all only seemed to 'talk about' how the scenery was so great. Was that all they tested?

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Mark, from the get go your posts have been negative towards Flight Simulator 2020; you've never really given it a chance.

The team and I are trying to promote something which we believe is truly special, and something which benefits everyone (even those using older versions of Flight Simulator). If you really can't see the bigger picture then that is a shame.

Dominic

Apart from aircraft issues, communication issues, navigation issues, weather issues, ground issues, cloud issues, AI issues, it's a great flight sim!

I make few posts on flight sims forums now, this is likely one of my last here. Give me a good flight sim and I would be excited too!

Mark Daniels

Sorry some of you are having issues. From my own experience however (and the majority of the people I speak to), it's been nothing but a smooth and enjoyable ride; no major issues encountered.

It's still early days, so for those of you who are having problems, my advice is to stick with it.

Dominic

Look at Twitter and Facebook nothing but problems for the most basic things that should work.

Well the good news is the first patch didn't break anything and it might just be placebo but loading time getting in flight seemed a bit quicker. However while it is useable for GA if you avoid the autopilot and great fun for sightseeing, still not quite primetime for serious "tube" flying where you need everything working just so.

Actually it did break some things I have weird blank spots in the cockpit now.

You just said what I had been thinking for a few months as the videos appeared on YouTube. I am 23 years into FS. I've enjoyed it very much. At this point I am note sure I want to lay out a bunch of buckos for a new system and software this is quite unfinished. When I install electrical for a customer I can't just install half the boxes....it has to be complete. I am going to wait a while and see how this one rinses out.

I want to see what this "build team" has in the tank!

Cheers All

Aaron

Aaron

Overall, without any 3rd party add-on's MSFS is amazing compared to what is currently available including FSX, P3D and XPL11! Of course, MSFS needs some patches being as it was just released. I have been flight simming longer than most of you in here and trust me all of the sims released since FS98 have all needed patches and a top end computer to run with sliders to the right. Welcome to flight simulation!

There will be more patches and 3rd party add on aircraft will arrive! :)

Edited by pugilist2

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

Wow - couldn't disagree more on this thread. If you think MFS is a 'hot mess' then you probably don't have much experience with the previous versions (by comparison, MFS is really quite excellent).

Yes there are bugs - I acknowledge that - but it was expected...and they'll fix them.

Perhaps the OP would be happier with X-plane or P3D?