Considering FS9 to be dead?

leuen

Bernard, you might notice that this site still has stuff for FS98 and FS2000, and the archives still have stuff for even earlier versions. So you don't need to worry about Nels abandoning FS9 or 8 or...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Greeting to all FS9 flyers. I got renewed interest in FS9 recently, well tuned works like a charm on Win10 and is rock stable. I got used to its quirks over the years, and when add-ons are managed carefully, it's rewarding simulation wise, including quite decent visuals considering its age, plus doesn't need any ridiculous investment into the new hardware. Have FSX setup as well, but somehow stick more with FS9 these days.... Down the road want to get taste of MSFS but hardware demands and expected lengthy fine tuning to be usable keeps me stay way from it for now....

I tried MSFS for a few weeks using the Gamepass demo, and it's not quite ready for airliner use, especially on older hardware. FS9 is still the gold standard for looks versus performance at busy airports in complex airliners. Now, I'm off to re-learn the PMDG MD-11!

Nice to still see some imperturbable FS9 afficionados! And that certainly for some good reasons.

I don't think that such things could be done anymore with newer and newest flight simulators and having reall fun. Like with this Kellet Autogyro of Eastern Air Lines doing AI flights between Camden Airfield and the roof of the Main Post Office at Philadelphia.

50309694522_8b57d5d575_b.jpg

Bernard

• Like 1

Now you are talking!! I love my 2D panels.

It's almost a case I would rather stop using flight sims before being forced to use a VC.

The one thing a VC really needs is independent zoom control of internal/external views and as far as I know MSFS doesn't have it. Without this, VC flying loses a realistic perspective and you are flying through a camera lens.

Mark Daniels

The one thing a VC really needs is independent zoom control of internal/external views and as far as I know MSFS doesn't have it. Without this, VC flying loses a realistic perspective and you are flying through a camera lens.

Hi,

TrackIR 5?

I got it several months ago for use with ETS2/ATS and FS9. VC flying is fun now.

But one does need to spend some time setting it up, as well as the VC viewpoint.

As I lean forward, the panel comes closer (like a zoom), but the outside stays the same (no zoom).

Regards,

DDP.

Hi,

TrackIR 5?

I got it several months ago for use with ETS2/ATS and FS9. VC flying is fun now.

But one does need to spend some time setting it up, as well as the VC viewpoint.

As I lean forward, the panel comes closer (like a zoom), but the outside stays the same (no zoom).

Regards,

DDP.

I've spent time with it at a friend's place but not for me.

Mark Daniels

Sticking to the FS2004 theme, I dont have an issue with VC's at all.

As far as head tracking goes, I'm going to start playing with OpenTrack, a free headtracking app that seems to be able to use your mobile as a tracking device. Could be interesting..

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

• 3 weeks later...

Why is it everytime MS comes out with another franchise then the attitude is FS9 is dead lets run

to FS20! There are a lot of stupid people in this world FS9 will go on as long as there are people

who will make add-ons for it. I have FSX also on my other PC and will begin to phase in to it shortly

but will always keep FS9 active

Thanks

Casey

Very cool! Looking forward to it.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

i'm working with tom on the testing aspect of it. it has great potential and will unlock many features never thought possible. a major one will be the DX12 but also higher res textures and shadows. its still very early though. i'll be posting a video on the subject in the future, though I don't have a date.