Considering FS9 to be dead?

leuen

so I'm already flying them in a better looking sim.

Sims all look the same, incredibly little difference, I have compared. Same generation sims so you just need to hunt down some better quality FS9 add-ons. The big difference is performance and stability. FS9 slaughters all the rest.

MSFS this is a new generation sim and totally different. It is also a complete disaster in every single aspect you can think of. People are expecting after a few patches or in 12 months it'll be fixed. No. lol

Mark Daniels

I started with a floppy disc Version 1 of MSFS back in 1985, and bought every version since (except that turkey, FS95). I only began using FSX in late 2015, but still have FS9 in my PC. Now I probably need a new rig if I want to run MSFS2020, which will have to wait until early 2021...

Speaking of things I don't want to give up yet, I own a 2005 Nissan Maxima. I love that car and I dread the day I might have to give it up for a new computer-riddled auto, with a faux sporty-looking tin body...

I do like the vintage and am a fan of the ford-tri-motor site, but almost all aircraft on there have been ported to FSX and even P3Dv4, including all of the FS2004 historic stock aircraft, so I'm already flying them in a better looking sim. You have to reach for the obscure to find a type that you have to go back to FS9 to fly, but there are a few.

August

Vintage flying: you brought it to the point. Just some very few, like Robin here, are still interested to keep the Thirties in the air. It might be nice to fly vintage aircraft with FSX or P3D for time to time. However, it's by far nicer and much more funny to have them in appropriated environment. But since The Old Hangar has been abandoned, vintage flying almost disappeared. That's an unfortunate fact.

And I'm not a did-hard, BTW.

Bernard

Thank you for the suggestions, guys. Installed FS9 last night. I figured, why not, the whole thing takes less space than some individual airplanes I have for P3D. Installation and setup for my current Win10 box was no problem. Of course I used FS9 a lot when it came out, but viewed from the present, with fresh eyes, initial reactions:

- The landscape was as horrendous as I feared. It is better after I copied the building and tree textures over from Orbx. I still need better ground textures. In your view, what is the best free option for an overall terrain upgrade for VFR flying? I see several on the usual sites that look promising.

- It is nice to have EVERYTHING dialed to max and still get whatever frame rate I want. Can't even do that with FSX. Maxing the autogen helps conceal the bad ground textures.

- I think FS9 might be the best option for long, high, IFR flights. The clouds and weather aren't bad, the ground looks fine from 10,000 feet and higher, and the navaids seem to work as well as in FSX and P3D and, from what I hear, maybe better than FS20 so far. And to add challenge, you can max out the air traffic without a performance hit.

Once I have the basic sim looking decent, I will try out that Schneider contest.

August

Hmmm, multiple installs. I hadn't thought of that but -- yes, of course. The space requirements are so low that it's feasible. I have multiple installs of IL2:1946 and the various CFSs with different mods, but this would be my first "whole world" multi install sim. I've looked up the tutorials and past posts on this, seems straightforward.

Good times.

August

Hmmm, multiple installs. I hadn't thought of that but -- yes, of course. The space requirements are so low that it's feasible. I have multiple installs of IL2:1946 and the various CFSs with different mods, but this would be my first "whole world" multi install sim. I've looked up the tutorials and past posts on this, seems straightforward.

Good times.

August

Easy to make more room. Do you have family photo's you can delete? Maybe video's of the kids growing up? First time on a bicycle etc? After awhile they get a little boring. Delete. And more room! So easy... :p

Very easy, I have 8!!, to keep it themed with different Spashscreens.

I have Golden Wings, Alaska, Ford Tri-Motor Project, Heritage & a bunch of others. It also prevents scenery add-on clashes.

Quick to do.. Copy & Paste your FS9 install. Rename the folder & the exe in the folder & send that to desktop as a shortcut. 2nd install done! also, scenery in 1 install can be shared to other installs. I just tell my Vintage install scenery library to get scenery from my Golden Wings.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I use one and the same FS9 for two different versions: classic (CalClassic) and vintage (GW3). To start one of them, I just rename following:

- scenery.cfg

- aircraft folder (two separate folders for better overview)

- main texture folder

Scenery Addon folders will be actived by the different scenery.cfg. That allows to use same AFX, IS3, TVB, Traffic Toolbox, FS SmartVIEW and weather tools. It works perfectly, and could even be expanded with additional versions.

Bernard

Edited by leuen

Easy to make more room. Do you have family photo's you can delete? Maybe video's of the kids growing up? First time on a bicycle etc? After awhile they get a little boring. Delete. And more room! So easy... :p

Yes, I imagine even before getting to that, most of us have "content" consuming space on our drives that we are better off without.

Just tweaking my original install first, to get it looking the way I like. Almost done. One thing, do you guys know where is the equivalent of the FSX cameras.cfg that defines the default views? If I can, I want to set it so that I never see a 2D panel view or a control tower when I am cycling through the views.

August

Hi, I bought a new machine basically to run MSFS. Now I've been flying and getting to know MSFS for some weeks, and I thinks it's ok, but all of a sudden I found myself missing FS9 (and by no means FSX) because of the bunch of nice add-ons I have for it, specially those related to the Golden Age of Aviation.

AFAIK there is nothing for MSFS regarding that Age yet, and I assume it will take quite a long time, if ever.

For that reason, I'm considering reinstalling FS9, which I know can work fine under Windows 10. My only concern is: can FS9 coexist on the same machine (and same HD) with MSFS without problems?

Any hint welcome. Thanks in advance.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

I have 8 different installs of FS9, all running separately, obviously not at the same time, without any interference. As it is a different program, of course it will. One is made by Microsoft, the other made by Asobo.

Just like Office does not affect Adobe Reader.

They are totally different, in fact you can have installs of FS2004, FSX, P3D, MSFS, without issues.

Edited by zswobbie1

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Not any longer ... now getting a "403 Forbidden Don't have permission to access this resource" code. Which is a shame.

Next time verify your browser's sanity by going here: https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

If you're interested in niche browsers, check out Pale Moon. It's what I've been using for at least five years now, though, it can be problematic with some things largely due to its funky useragent. To help remedy this I use an add-on called UAControl and make it look like I'm always using the latest version of Firefox. The other issue is that Google blatantly discriminates all browsers except the big three so solving Recaptcha is an utter b%^! That can be remedied by staying logged into your Google account, but for me, I never, EVER stay logged into anything, clear cache and cookies on exit and use Sandboxie. So if I have to fill out a form that uses BS Recaptcha, I keep a plain vanilla Firefox install.

You may also be interested in Ungoogled Chromium. But the moment you add an extension it's game over. Unless of course you know how to use Webextension code and can craft your own extensions. https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium#downloads

I tried it once and monitored my NIC for any Google crap and nothing showed up. So yes, it's stripped of anything calling home to Mountain View...