Considering FS9 to be dead?

leuen

No offence, but everything I’ve seen from those videos and screens look average at best. The clouds look horrible. Low res smudges. The sky is awful and WAY to blue. The trees don’t look anything special. The water looks the wrong colour.

This is from a ‘gaming’ expert?

Get rid of that horrible bloom thingy. Worst invention ever. Add some real visibility and please, omg, stop flying at a few hundred feet. How does that in any way show case anything?

Apart from this few things, it seems to coming along quite nicely. :)

FS9 is totally alive and kicking like never before for me! To think in the past we had to struggle with fps and now we can throw anything at it and get great performance. A blllion add-ons to enjoy of every type for every level of flight sim enthusiast. It's just THE dream flight sim.

Others can move on to MSFS, can see I will never go there. Notice they are busy trying to figure out if their one very simple default jet even works. Yes, these are the same people who suggested if you flew something like a Wilco A320 in FS9 or FSX you weren't really flight simming. How times have changed! lol

Mark Daniels

And we have the amazing Douglas Kallen's Bull Stearman & Robert Sanderson's Hurricanes... Stuart Green's Gromit, Mentors, Flamingo's, Volpars, Lunar Pilot, amazing unique Russian planes, such as the Myasishhev M-17 & M-55......

By the way, you'll probabably notice that I prefer oldies & unique stuff, no tubes or jets.. I'm no 'bus driver, with all due respect to those that are.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

It's nice to have different "Flight Simulators" to choose from.

Some ppl "simulate" flight, because they've never achieved their dreams.

Other ppl "simulate" flight to relive past flights as PIC they've flown in.

So many different reasons why each of us chase our dream, to "pretend" to me a pilot or past pilot..

FS9 is dead, only when you stop using it.

FS9: Many addons, 2D panels, high FPS, so many tweaks to come yet (modified Dll's) and you can just "Fly".

FSX: Many addons, monitor VAS for up coming CTD, poor FPS due to poor programming, constant tweaking to achieve higher FPS. Scammed into buying Steam version and P3D to achieve a stable platform (will never happen).

MSFS: Few Addons, CTD issues, LOD issues, Spiral nose dives, Avionics turn off, AP issues. constant patches that don't fix bugs, but add visual scenery only. Scammed into to paying to be a beta tester (that no one listens too). Can't fly when you want. Start MSFS and you're forced to download the latest patch that fixes nothing.

Again, simulate what you prefer.

RJ

oh yess sooooooooooo true!!!

Well said, Darren..

Not only does FS9 live, but I try to keep the legacy of developers that have been forgotten, alive as well..

Garry Smith, Edward Cook, there are so many that gave us fun!

George Diemer, Greg Pepper, Manuele Villa, Jens B. Kristensen, I MUST always mention Bill Lyons, Kazunori Ito, Ron Jeffers, Mike Stone, Alejandro Villa, John B. Loney, Barry Blaisdell & Premier Aircraft Design, Kevin Espeseth, How can I forget the 'Lost in Space' add-ons from Ronnie Pendercraft, a perfect add-on for Carl Reddin's Space scenery... I actually have a separate Space install! there are so many...

Their add-ons still live on...

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Based on what Robin stated below, I did the following small comparaison about the number of files uploaded by sections on this site:

- Early Aircraft ---> FS9: 1,185 / FSX:705

- Propliners ------> FS9: 2,725 / FSX: 531

- Jetliners -------> FS9: 35,731 / FSX: 8,056

- Scenery ---------->FS9: 7,902 / FSX. 5,657

The figures speak for themselves.

Bernard

I have struggled to get FSX to work without stutters on W10, and have finally thrown in the towel

Went back to FS2004 and enjoy it so very much. I have collected many addons, and my sim looks and performs great!

Did a small flight from Houston, BC to Stewart BC yesterday, with the Carenado Centurion, and had a blast. Just a single stutter and the rest was smooth as glass

Long live FS2004!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A505FN met Tapatalk

Always found FS9 will have some stutters panning or from the cockpit when taxiing and making a turn. Installing FS9 again I decided to try and hunt down why these stutters may occur. I found with default FS9 there were no stutters. I introduced custom ground, cloud etc textures next and FS9 was still totally smooth. Once I installed the iFly 737 I immediately had stutters.

My textures are all good, I go through them all and fix any issues. The iFly textures are good as well. I’m thinking the stutters may possibly be more a cause of gauges. Not certain yet but I know some aircraft may introduce more stutters than others. This again would tend to point to something like gauges.

I currently have only the iFly installed and 3 airports. The stutters at this point are identical to my Win 10 install with maybe 400 or so airports installed. The stutters I have are also identical with what I had on my old Win 7 system before going to Win 10. On 3 machines the amount and severity of the stutters has been identical. I’m certain once I have hundreds of airports again and more aircraft on this install the stutters will be identical as they are now. This pretty much rules out textures or quantity of add-ons causing the issue.

Running a locked fps around 25-30 will eliminate you seeing as many stutters. I know many run much higher or unlimited fps but there really aren’t any benefits to doing this imo.

Mark Daniels

Hi Bwoinbeerr

Many theories behind shutters in FS9 and FSX.

My theory why shutters occur is because FS9 uses a single CPU/core to run on.

If you notice, it's usually pegged at 100% on core zero.

With a CPU/core pegged at 100%, throw in scenery loading textures, clouds loading, AI and you'll get a frame rate spike downward and a shutter is born. Hard drives are slow as well as compared to SSD's.

I suggest you try PsExec (Microsoft tool) and force FS9 to jump between multiple cores.

FS9 will never be pegged again at 100%, and your shutters "might" be gone forever...

PsExec Link:

Link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/psexec

You'll need to write a small batch program to start FS9 using PsExec.

Here is one example I use to start the Tinmouse 732.

psexec -a 3,4 cmd /C Start "" "%FS2004Path%\fs9.exe" /CFG:TINMOUSE-fs9

When you use switch -a with PsExec, it forces FS9 to be shared (flip flops back and forth) between cores 3 and 4. You can observe this by selecting the "Performance" tab in task manager.

If nothing else, we all know heat is a killer for CPU's and video cards.

Why burn out core 0, when you can share the workload between more cores.

As for FSX, that software was poorly written and performance will never be fixed.

It's kinda like FS2000 back in the day.

RJ

I've never heard of that solution 3Green. It's a little confusing to one who is not totally computer savvy. Is there a command that just applies to the FS9 exe in general and why are you specific in regards to using the Tinmouse?

Also I know what you mean about FSX. I bought a spiffy new Alienware computer a couple of months ago, not specifically for flightsim but for my mulitrack recording software which requires a lot of power. I thought I'd load up FSX again thinking it will run great and yeah, it still runs like crap. My FS9 however runs a solid 60 FPS with everything I can throw at it with the exception of heavy cloud so I figure your tweak might help in that regard.

If your CPU/core is pegged at 100%, and we fly complex aircraft into complex airports with AI, using large texture sizes, something has to give. At what point does the single CPU/core hiccup. I guess you can point your finger at gauges as the single cause.

Been through setting affinity not only in one game but many and not only with one method but many. Imo, if it's a single core application it doesn't matter what you do, it will always run and behave like a single core application.

For the sake of argument, I will try it again on my next flight.

Mark Daniels

Below is task manager showing FS9 sharing cores 3 and 4.

I suspect what you're seeing is that FS9 is being bounced between the cores by the scheduler faster than Task Manager's data plotting interval. So over a second it may spend 500ms on core 3 and 500ms on core 4, it's not like they're each running at 50% - they're running at 100% for half the time and zero for the other half, averaging at .... ~ 50%.

You've not made FS9 multi-threaded, you've just got misleading data from task manager.

Cheers!

Luke

Some people don't see any difference between 30FPS and 60FPS.

Try it and see, you're the best judge, not me.

RJ

This one is a long explanation. I'll keep it short, two things:

1. There is a smoothness difference between 30fps and 60fps.

2. Game fps is not the same as motion film despite a billion posts suggesting otherwise across the net.

The key is, once you set 30fps, your mind will adjust to the lower fps and you will not notice any lack of smoothness over just a very short period of time. If you change from 30 to 60 directly comparing, you will see a difference. This is what people do or they run 60fps for a while and then switch to 30fps. This results in them having a hysterical fit just thinking about ever using 30fps permanently. Our minds quickly adjust to 30fps and will compensate so it looks completely smooth.

What you will always be able to differentiate no matter what fps you run are stutters. However, the higher fps you run, the smaller the stutter you will notice. If you set 30fps you get a smooth sim and won't see as many stutters.

So much false information out there. I've found 25-30fps the ideal for running FS9.

On the CPU front:

I just tested affinity again with my current install. No difference whatsoever imo. Stutters still identical. I'm not suggesting they are directly from the gauges, a possibility, I'm not certain. I would need to spend far more time on it to come to any conclusions but as the stutters I have are minimal, it's not something that's worth the time.

Mark Daniels

• 2 weeks later...
FS9 is not dead to me at all. As an ai fan/repainter/developer there is still nothing better. With todays computers what other sim can you run with all sliders on max!

Long live FS9!! :cool:

Very true!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

Hi Doug,

more than 80 downloads on both flightsim sites in only 3 days for an AI plane from Guatemala for our sim.

That is not bad at all and a good sign to the community that our sim is so alive and that we are not so "few"! Thank you for that repaint.

Dedl

Hi Doug,

more than 80 downloads on both flightsim sites in only 3 days for an AI plane from Guatemala for our sim.

That is not bad at all and a good sign to the community that our sim is so alive and that we are not so "few"! Thank you for that repaint.

Dedl

Yes, after an almost 2 year break I plan to contribute some more stuff for FS9 coming up.

To view my repaints and other stuff just click on the image below!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Methinks a revival of FS2004 is at hand?

Well a young guy from another game site bought MSFS as his introduction to flight sims and was about to throw in the towel and go back to other games. Told him about FS9 and he's out buying discs now! lol

Don't think he'll turn up here, the younger ones tend to avoid flight sim forums but he may very well get interested in flight simming and tell others.

Mark Daniels

Huh. Interesting.

I just ran across my old FS9 CDs when looking for something else.

I have FSX:Steam, P3Dv4, and will be getting FS20 in a couple of months. I don't agree with most of the criticisms of them on this thread, but still, I've been wondering if I want to install FS9 again.

There are some nice aircraft available only for FS9, for sure. I recall them fondly. I just wonder will it look too ugly compared with the newer sims. I already keep FSX around only for a few dozen planes that haven't been updated, and even with addon scenery, it's looking pretty dated.

Hmm. Maybe will look through the upload library again and see if I can talk myself into it.

August

I do like the vintage and am a fan of the ford-tri-motor site, but almost all aircraft on there have been ported to FSX and even P3Dv4, including all of the FS2004 historic stock aircraft, so I'm already flying them in a better looking sim. You have to reach for the obscure to find a type that you have to go back to FS9 to fly, but there are a few.

August

I do like the vintage and am a fan of the ford-tri-motor site, but almost all aircraft on there have been ported to FSX and even P3Dv4, including all of the FS2004 historic stock aircraft, so I'm already flying them in a better looking sim. You have to reach for the obscure to find a type that you have to go back to FS9 to fly, but there are a few.

August

I had FSX loaded with ORBX, REX and other stuff and felt it was STILL a step back from FS9. MS got the colour / contrast / natural feel right and blew it with the rest.

Lots of things FS9 does better.....like.....everything. :p

Ford Tri-Motor

HJG

CalClassic

Classic British Flight Sim

Add in a quadzillion add ons - and many freeware - that work perfectly well (always a gamble with ported over stuff), there's zero reason to move. :)

Hey i've just downloaded for the first time a couple of Milton Shupe's aircraft. Lockheed Lodestar and Beech D18. I'm barely touching the base of this stuff.

No wonder Robin has 8 FS9's on his PC. :D :D