Considering FS9 to be dead?

leuen

Hey! That looks like a good flight sim! Has some decent clouds too!

I was reading the other forum, 5 patches down and they have achieved a bunch of users with CTD's without even getting to the main menu! OMG, what are people thinking??? lol

I just open up FS9 and the biggest headache I have is what to fly and from where to where.

People don't think is the problem , they're followers. LM and MS are the pied pipers of the sim world. Sucking in poor suspecting simmers with their merry tune.

FS9'ers though saw the light. It's because we heard and sang the 'song of songs' that unite us.

OK, the 2nd long island is kicking in. haha. Oh yeah!

That's a killer screenshot right there. I'm ashamed of my P3D popcorn clouds and I hide my P3D water whenever possible, still FS9 is dead because, well it just is... :D

Jim? omg, you had to edit only a 2 sentence reply. What are you drinking? I need some. :D

And whatever happened to that FS9 scenery you were working on way back in the day?

Jim? omg, you had to edit only a 2 sentence reply. What are you drinking? I need some. :D

And whatever happened to that FS9 scenery you were working on way back in the day?

I added "popcorn", what are you, the edit police now? (and I assure you whatever it is it was cheap) :)

I hate scenery, let somebody else do all that, they can even have the 2 or 3 kudos they'll get out of it all for themselves. I'm OK with that, lol.

I added "popcorn", what are you, the edit police now? (and I assure you whatever it is it was cheap) :)

I hate scenery, let somebody else do all that, they can even have the 2 or 3 kudos they'll get out of it all for themselves. I'm OK with that, lol.

Nah somebody else can decide who is the edit police. And Long Island Ice Tea's aint cheap. just tastes cheap. :p

Fair enough.

The "Jim Robinson's" ones are always a good chuckle aren't they? LMFAO

Haha, he's ok. I welcome anyone who wants to come to this forum and trash FS9. That's fine, it's their opinion and I don't mind reading their comments. I'm so happy with FS9 no one can say anything that bothers me. Unfortunately when you counter their arguments, which I feel we FS9 users always have a counter, they tend to get really angry! I think when you can discuss any sim, say good and bad things and not get angry is when you know you are using a sim you are totally content with.

The FS9 forum imo is the happiest forum at Flightsim.com and for this to be the case, there can be only one reason...people totally enjoy what they have.

Mark Daniels

I had many, many members tell me how stupid my opinions were on the all encompassing be all and end all of flight sims that was coming. Told how negative I was and completely wrong I would be. Told to not post on certain forums as my comments were ridiculous.

I was literally banished from AVSIM because of my opinions.

Thinking back to every post I have ever made on MSFS, I don't think I have got a single thing wrong and I made some detailed posts! lol

Sorry, no sympathy for those who slammed me and every comment I ever made.

Even after release I've been slammed every time I post in the MSFS forum.

The game is an absolute disaster. Heck, people are having discussions to try and find ONE functioning aircraft to fly! What else needs to be said???

Mark Daniels

Feel free to banish me here too. I'm not a sheep and I'm not stupid. If I can't speak my mind I'm happy to not speak at all.

Edit:

I just saw the link you put up. I think it's the second time you've sent it in my direction. The article is BS imo. I briefly once touched on what the problem is with the flight sim community with you in a PM. It's the reason you don't see a bunch of new 20 something year olds entering the flight sim community here after MSFS release.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

...The FS9 forum imo is the happiest forum at Flightsim.com and for this to be the case, there can be only one reason...people totally enjoy what they have...

So true Mark!

Btw. The FS9 forum is the only forum I read!

Dedl

Feel free to banish me here too. I'm not a sheep and I'm not stupid. If I can't speak my mind I'm happy to not speak at all.

I'm not saying that Mark, but it's a real shame people just can't enjoy what they have without the need to put others down. For one, it makes for a toxic atmosphere and secondly, puts a lot of people off contributing to the forums (read the comments on the community article I published).

You enjoy FS2004, that's great, I use it too (Glacier Bay and VOZ being my all time favourites), but I also dabble in FS2020 and my main sim, X-Plane. I enjoy them all, but that's not to say that one is better than the other, they just excel in different areas.

Also, it's not about banishing people...it's about having an understanding of what the hobby is about - it's about simulated flight and the enjoyment we all get from it.

Since becoming the editor of FlightSim.com seven years ago, I have interviewed a great many developers (mostly freeware), and the one thing which many of them mentioned, was the hope/desire that the community could be more supportive of each other.

Many of those interviewed are no longer developing for the hobby, and for a few, I can tell you first hand, that it's down to the reasons above.

At the end of the day, the hobby is what we all make it - it can either be a place where people go on and on about which sim is better, with threads being removed because of rudeness etc, or it can be one where we enjoy what we have, with the understanding that there are different sims for different people, and support each other in our wonderful and shared hobby. I for one choose the latter :-)

Dominic

Well said.

We have had far too many developers leave us, because of the stated reasons, including a payware developer who was actually trying to put together something quite evolutionary, for free, for FS2004.

As a well-known young lady once said.. 'Shame on you!'

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Well said.

We have had far too many developers leave us, because of the stated reasons, including a payware developer who was actually trying to put together something quite evolutionary, for free, for FS2004.

As a well-known young lady once said.. 'Shame on you!'

I hate to break it to ya, but I doubt that was ever going to happen. If the screenshots he posted were ‘evolutionary’, he had a lot of work to do...

But it works the other way, Dominic. FS9’s have been ridiculed for a loooong time for their choice to stay put. Accused of ‘holding back development’ and ‘progress’ because of staying with FS9.

Usually mods in most flight sim forums sided with the new sims and simmers despite the many drawbacks and failures of the ‘new’ sims.

No, I didn’t hold back development. MS and LM have for not getting the **** together producing problematic and poor performing sims.

I apply the 9.1 patch and the 4gb patch and I’m done....for life. I can’t imagine waiting 2-3 months for the next hot fix or update to fix issues. And that’s just after a new version comes out. Yeah, I’m missing out. And holding back development.

Not. :)

Hi Dominc

nice attidude you have and a nice post in any way, but...

Having read too often in community communication all over the world during the past 13 years that we FS9ers are "the underdogs of flightsimulation" and "the idiots of evolution" I understand Mark's reaktion more than well.

It is not easy not getting sarcastic in the long run. Sorry for that - but Mark has my full compassion.

Dedl

Edited by Dedl

I'm not saying that Mark, but it's a real shame people just can't enjoy what they have without the need to put others down. For one, it makes for a toxic atmosphere and secondly, puts a lot of people off contributing to the forums (read the comments on the community article I published).

What puts people off forums is the inability to speak and to openly discuss.

The sims are not all the same, we do not all like every one of them and we do not think each is equal but only in different ways. I might as well say I like the Pittsburgh Penguins, the other teams are good too but in different ways. No, that would not be true. I don't like many of the other teams, some of them really suck and I hate the Blackhawks. I think they are thugs! lol

If I have to go to a forum and suggest I think the Blackhawks are good but in a different way to the Penguins please shoot me! It is no different with FS9 and then comparing FS9 with MSFS. No, they are not the same, MSFS is a pile of junk, FS9 is an incredibly well put together and fully functioning flight simulator.

Everyone should be allowed to express their opinions. We have a choice of many different flight sims and it is absurd to think we will all like and think equally of each one.

It's when such discussions get shut down you end up with FS type communities. There is no crossover discussion. Each sim has it's own little jail cell (forum) and the only types of threads we see are "help me with my problem" threads. This is what happens when you shut down open discussion and kill a community.

You can have discussions and heated discussions which make for some great reading and fun reading. First you need to shut down those sooking about such discussions. They are the ones creating a toxic atmosphere and limiting the creation of interesting topics. It's when you start protecting these problem posters that you end up with where flight sim sites are right now.

Mark Daniels

Having read too often in community communication all over the world during the past 13 years that we FS9ers are "the underdogs of flightsimulation" and "the idiots of evolution"

Dedl

Yes, totally correct and that's fine as long as we all get an equal opportunity to defend our choices.

It's great to have people like Jim Robinson post here imo. We've had heated debates and will likely never agree on sims. Despite this, it's entertainment, it's fun, it creates interest and it draws others into the discussion.

I would much prefer to read such heated topics over "Should FS9 be installed directly to C drive?" every visit. It's when these types of threads dominate that you know there is a problem with the community.

Mark Daniels

Well I have to agree with Skywatcher12 that this really is entertaining! I am an FS9 diehard for my own reasons and I never really spent much time in these forums even though I have been a member (and file contributor) for a very long time.

I am going to be sticking around here more often for sure, especially with like minded people as far as flight simulator choice goes.

Just count me in as one of the "idiots of evolution"! :pilot:

To view my repaints and other stuff just click on the image below!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just count me in as one of the "idiots of evolution"! :pilot:

Be loud, be proud! It's all about fun, entertainment, enjoying our sim and having the ability to express we don't like the other sim(s). We are all different and imo it's fine to insult each others choices as long as we don't insult each other. The line must be drawn in the correct place.

Long live FS9 and now I really feel like doing a flight so off I will go. On a Russian tour btw.

Mark Daniels

Skywatcher12 - A person with has very big ego, is self-contradicting, and breaks the law. In today’s world you would be considered a “bully”. I person, I'll never help.

Fascinating. How you came to those conclusions I have no idea.

Anyhow, consider me gone.

Mark Daniels