Not really for Beginners

I am a beginner through and through and am struggling with it, sure I have learnt a bit but charts and navigation in general are hard to follow and get a grip of youtube vids for the most part very good but they assume you know stuff like heading and setting up the aircraft some can be really hard to follow of course its up to me which I watch, but I don't want to be watching vids all the time.

I think I will give it another week or so and if I don't get anywhere I may well ditch it and call it a bad investment.

I am not surprised you are finding it hard going, please put that approach charts away! instrument flying is hard whether in the simulation or real life. Try flying near your home VFR (visually) in fs2020 with one of the great GA aircraft. The Wright brothers managed without any instruments so you can, but whatever you do please don't give up!:D

I am not surprised you are finding it hard going, please put that approach charts away! instrument flying is hard whether in the simulation or real life. Try flying near your home VFR (visually) in fs2020 with one of the great GA aircraft. The Wright brothers managed without any instruments so you can, but whatever you do please don't give up!:D

I second this advice. I’m a total beginner like you and have concentrated on slowly climbing the ladder of General Aviation aircraft. There’s nothing wrong in spending a couple of dozen hours in a Cessna 172 mastering the basics and getting to grips with the autopilot. (Watch a youtuber called Bevo Devo for a couple of great Beginner autopilot vids).

I’ve not got to grips with ILS yet. I prefer small planes and VFR but will try and figure it out eventually. Don’t give up.

I can relate with what you are going through.

Even though I am not a novice (nor an expert by any means), this sim takes a while to get used too. Watch the Video's, they will help a LOT!!! Bevo Devo is a good one for auto pilot.

I also found this video which taught me more about the autopilot.

I was able to finally take off from KJAX, go south towards the Jacksonville Skyline, set up the AP to just fly the plane, while I looked at the scenery.

Was very enjoyable. Now I have ventured further out, honing my skills. It can be done :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Everyone here is giving you really good advice. I have been flight simming since V1 of FSFS. Spent a long time learning the basics in single engine planes, then twin engine props before I even thought about attempting any thing with a jet engine. This is a life-time hobby with a serious learning curve. Avoid the bells and whistles, start simple, and enjoy the journey as you move up the ladder. I have come from a simple joystick and keyboard to a room filling full single seat Boeing 737-800 flight deck, but it took a long time (and a lot of savings!) to get there. Remember how many hours the pros have to put in before they are competent with all of this stuff.

The best series of tutorials I have seen are from a Scottish guy on Youtube Doofer911

He goes through literally everything you will every need to know about flying a light aircraft from actually taking off and flying a circuit to instruments and how to use them, navigation and using navigational aids such as VOR's, as well as using autopilots and planning routes.

Explained simply but in detail, in fairly short and concise videos. Its an absolute gem for anyone starting out in flight sims.

Davidc2, Im guessing jax is your home airport. It was mine for the first 19 years of my life. After 20+ years of the navy korf is now mine. I have to agree with everyone about just taking small steps and learn your skills with the low and slow birds. The views are simply AWESOME and make this investment worth it.

Happy Flyin yall, AD

I am a beginner through and through and am struggling with it, sure I have learnt a bit but charts and navigation in general are hard to follow and get a grip of youtube vids for the most part very good but they assume you know stuff like heading and setting up the aircraft some can be really hard to follow of course its up to me which I watch, but I don't want to be watching vids all the time.

I think I will give it another week or so and if I don't get anywhere I may well ditch it and call it a bad investment.

Only giving it a further week will not be enough.

I have been a flight simmer for over 25 years and still has something to learn.

It really takes time to learn the various aspects of flying.

You must learn Aircraft systems, procedures, navigation, weather, VFR and IFR flying and a ton of terms.

If You really want to learn about aviation - just hang on, search articles about navigation, buy or lend books about it, use Youtube (I did not have that option for the first half of my "carre'r").

Once You start getting to grips with it, it´s extremely rewarding, just don´t think that even a fraction can be learned within a couple of weeks.

Hone Your skills and expect to make many mistakes, but that's what a simulator is for.

wow thanks tones777 a lot of useful information there and also thanks the other postrs that have been kind enough to try and help i do watch videos and know how to search on youtube I dont really want to ask other ppl to do this for me ,its just that someone might have come across a good video that could be useful thanks everyone

Regards

Andrew