Am I the only one still using (and liking) V4.5?

Offscheddescent

I still use it also. I didn't take the leap to MSFS2020 yet. I think I will wait awhile for all the bugs to get worked out before I'll take the plunge.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

I still use it also. I didn't take the leap to MSFS2020 yet. I think I will wait awhile for all the bugs to get worked out before I'll take the plunge.

Me also: I'm not in the habit of dumping tried-and-tested software for some foreign muck that may, or may not, have innumerable issues,

I'll wait for the issues to be ironed out, in maybe a year or two...

Still an update or two for v4.5/V5 yet...

I expect to be enjoying 4.5 for a few years. I'll buy FS2020 in a few weeks or months, but it will be a long time, if ever, before FS has the selection of aircraft available for P3D. Also, for now, many of the small airports I like to fly into are better rendered in 3rd-party P3D scenery than in FS2020.

August

They NEVER have supported earlier versions with additional development. Only because of many loud complaints did they even include the ability to download earlier versions. Initially, when they released a new major version, the other one disappeared. Now, 4.5 is dead to further developments but 5.x and 6.0 are still viable.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Just uninstalled MSFS 2020.

Ran fine. Awesome graphics. Not really happy with the Aircraft dynamics outside of the GA.

It will get better.

4.5 screams on my MSFS rig. Sliders set all the way down the block....8>)

Installed MSFS2020 - and immediately uninstalled again.

Will reinstall it after a year or so. It should be ready for primetime by then.

• 5 weeks later...
I purchased MSFS and it sure is pretty but I need realistic aircraft, FMC, GPS Nav units, etc. 3rd party (except for carenado) are not going to be available for some time (4Q 2021 ie PMDG) so I upgraded to Prepar3d V5. MSFS is currently just a game for me right now.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE 3.2 gHz OC to 3.5 gHz

MSI 790FX-GD70 MB

4 GB Kingstom DDR3 1333 MHz, ATI Radeon HD 5850

Windows 7 64 bit, FSX Professional, REX 2.0

Allow me to quote:

"Still an update or two for v4.5/V5 yet..."

V. 4.5 - no, L-M's development has ceased.

V. 5 - yes.

Jorgen

This is exactly the reason to stick with v4.5--Stability. You know--flying rather than tweaking--then waiting --then tweaking again --then hoping this time they've finally got it right.

V4.5 has been working reliably on my system for quite some time --and likely to remain so exactly because they are now leaving it alone.

Edited by billythebassman

Why not v5.x?

Seems more logical to me!

1. v5 is still "in development"

2. V5 requires you to re-buy the sim.

3. Most importantly, unless you have more than 8Gb of VRAM, many issues have been reported.

4. As a result of #3, with V5 you are jumping into the latest "read and tweak" festival--V4.5 is for those who want to spend their time actually flying

As for your #3: there are many problems with ANY amount of VRAM....

Jorgen

v5 works better with reduced settings (and lesser hardware) than v4.5.

Both are 64-bit optimised.

Suggest you provide your hardware specs for clearer advice, as what you have had up to now is not accurate. Otherwise stay with v3, and 32-bit.

• 1 month later...
I am staying with PD3v3 and won't go up to v4. I have WAY TOO many A2A, FS, Carenado planes plus airports to ever give them up EVER.

I have P3d V5.1.

ALL the aforementioned aircraft work with this sim.

You cannot possibly have an up-to-date sim, or version of any aircraft... Also you need v4+ to make use of the latest updates and graphic card updates!

Agreed. I'm sure I'll be getting FS20 in a month or so and enjoying the 10% of what P3D4.5 can do that it can do better, but I'll log most hours in 4.5 doing the other 90% of stuff that FS20 won't do at all.

And as noted above, I love the fact that it is no longer being updated. It's so annoying when I fire up IL2:Great Battles for a quick flip in a fighter and find myself waiting to download and install a 2GB update almost every time I play - usually full of updates to modules I don't even have.

August