What means "PITOT HT OFF" caution on SR22 garmin?

volpo

The pitot tube (pronounced pee-toe) is a small tube mounted on the outside of the aircraft which takes in ram air as the aircraft flies, and uses that pressure to feed the airspeed indicator. If that tube ices up there will be an improper airspeed indication (probably zero) so most aircraft have a heating device called pitot heat. So that "caution" is letting you know that pitot heat is off.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

• 2 years later...

Pitot icing can occur with temperatures of 70 deg f or lower, and high humidity, yielding incorrect or no airspeed indication. At around 70 deg f is when the caution would appear.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2023 at 8:52 PM, PhrogPhlyer said:

Pitot icing can occur with temperatures of 70 deg f or lower, and high humidity, yielding incorrect or no airspeed indication. At around 70 deg f is when the caution would appear.

+!!  Been there and dealt with it RW!   

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

14 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Been there and dealt with it RW!   

Two types of pilots. Those that have, and those that will.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

14 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Two types of pilots. Those that have, and those that will.

Sad to say, there is a 3rd group of pilots, who didn't adapt!  Here at or near LOU that has happened several times in the last  few decades.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.