RAM overclock question

I have a asus z97A motherboard using ddr3 1600 ram. It says that the memory bays on the motherboard can be overclocked to 3000 mhz

Can i overclock 1600 mhz ram OR do i have to buy fster ram sticks like 2400 mhz ?

If i install 2400 mhz ram and click X.M.P. in software on motherboard will it automatically run faster ram at faster speed ?

thanks

Core i7 10700K OC to 4.6 all cores/EVGA 750W G+ PSU/ MSI Z490 edge mobo/GSkill RAM DDR4 32GB(2X16GB) 3600mhz/ ASUS TUF RTX 3080/ Win10 home/ Asus 32 inch monitor 1440p/ CH Flightstick

Yes, you can try overclocking your 1600MHz RAM, however, you aren't likely to get as far as buying 2400 MHz modules would be better. Enabling XMP profiles is essentially overclocking and should be stable, as well as being supported by the RAM manufacturer. I haven't had a problem with enabling XMP on my systems.

My last rig was a bit like yours (OPs), but with a weaker graphics carrd in my case. I had XMP enabled with mild overclocking on the CPU to 4.5 GHz, but the system became increasing unstable after running without issue for about a year. In the end I disabled XMP and stability was better -though it was never completely stable as before. I'd never had such an unstable system, though I'd always built my rigs myself till then. That's history now - I'm getting old.

Basically though, if the RAM sticks support XMP, and the board supports that particular RAM, you should be good to go. Still, I think it'd be better to follow loki's suggestion - if you can, and upgrade to the faster RAM.

^^:cool:^^

´´´\/```

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 48GB RAM, RTX 2070S, 2x1TB Nvme SSD. FSX Gold, XP-11, MSFS.