Previously saved addon aircraft folders empty

ac103010

I know that's a bit obscure but in order to re-install FSX some 5 years after deleting my previous hard drive I saved all my addon aircraft. Each aircraft had the correct sub folders inside (panel, sound, texture, etc). I've now installed FSX again on a new hard driveand then transferred all the addon aircaft to the simobject folder. Again, all the sub folders are there but when I checked inside each sub folder they're all empty ????

Where have they gone????

First question is....where did you "save" these addon aircraft to? Thumbdrive, or the likes? When you did the save, did you recheck each aircraft and sub-folder for content before storing the device somewhere safe?

Was your sim FSX-SE and did you copy from the correct SimObjects folder?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

...Each aircraft had the correct sub folders inside (panel, sound, texture, etc). I've now installed FSX again on a new hard driveand then transferred all the addon aircaft to the simobject folder.

Would like to point out aircraft installers can also install files into other folders such as /Gauges, /Effects, /Textures, etc and payware possibly add to Registry to function.

Also magnetic harddrives can lose files after extended storage...

https://blog.macsales.com/43702-we-bet-you-didnt-know-that-your-hdds-or-ssds-may-need-exercise-too/

I was surprised to see solid state drives can also be effected.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

To reply to you all, but Brian first. Yes, both sets are empty.

So this is what I did:

My old PC wasn't particularly fast so I bought another. On my old computer I took all the simobjects and scenery folders and transferred them to my new PC. Some I transferred using wireless but some via a dongle. I then saved them on a spare drive (nothing wrong with the drive, everything else works, and I've tested it) but can't remember whether I checked the files after transferring them. Now I've installed FSX on a new SSD and FSX works fine. Transferred the addon files into FSX (into the correct folders) but didn't check them. Had no reason to think there might be a problem.

By the way, I've transferred other items, e.g., train simulator files, with no problems. It seems it's only FSX.

Hi ac103010,

long time no see. Hope you're holding up in these trying times. Hang in there.:D

Are the files still on the old pc?

If so, transfer them to an external Usb HD or Usb stick. Then to the new pc.

Make sure to wait until copying is fully finished until disconnecting a drive. And switch off the power saving features in Windows. Such as "sleep mode after X minutes" and "screen saver". (Copying stops during sleep mode, and instead of screen rates you can simply switch off the screen using the physical button.)

Just in case you are comfortable installing hardware. Another way would be to take the old hd out of the old pc, and to install it in the new one. Then boot your current OS.

You can then access the old drive like any other drive. (it will get a drive letter automatically. Assuming your current OS is on C the old drive will become D, E, or F, etc.).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello again, Top Gun.

Tried averything - to no avail.

Yes, been out of flight simming for a few years. Got interested in train sims, but my appetite's been wetted again. From what I see and read, FS2020 is disappointing, at least for the time being, so I've resurrected FSX. But horrors, this file issue had destroyed years of work. I may be able to recover by self made timetables but all the downloaded addon aircraft, which enabled me to propulate all of my favourite airports, have gone. Same with scenery, sound, panels, timetables, etc

So, better get started again.

:mad:

Sounds like a windows issue, theres a lot out there about folders being copied but not the files in them. Many people having to copy files individually. Looks like you have fallen foul of it too.

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Sure looks that way. I'm usually careful but on this occasion it slipped through the cracks. And I'd done countless hours of work on timetables and on extensively modified airports, making them closer to real life airport charts, stands, etc. Ah well, time to start again.