FsX

Auldsailor

I'd start with the lessons provided in FSX, working your way through Private and Instrument. In any case, it's much easier to learn to fly in a light aircraft, THEN proceed to something heavier.

But whatever way you decide to go about it, it'll be a time-consuming process. I'm sure lots of other folks will chime in here, too.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I agree with Larry about using the lessons, but if that gets too tedious, then try the Missions. I would start with the Caribbean Landing Mission using the CRJ700. Keep in mind that these missions will require hand flying and won't use the ILS for landing. Move on to Transitioning to Jets Mission. The Secret Shuttle Mission will get you familiarized with the 737-800. The Naples Landing Mission with the Airbus A321. And the Monsoon Mission with the 747-400.

For ILS practice, I used the Channel Crossing Mission flying the C172. It's a lot slower and more forgiving. You will need to use the autopilot to maintain the altitudes and headings given to you by ATC. You will need to be able to click on the arrival airport on the map and get the NAV1 freq for the runway ILS. After ATC gives you the final approach heading, you can turn on the APR button and have your aircraft make the final approach turn to the runway. It should also pick up the glideslope and bring you down to the runway threshold where you disengage the A/P and make the manual landing.

Good luck!;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I agree with Larry about using the lessons, but if that gets too tedious, then try the Missions. I would start with the Caribbean Landing Mission using the CRJ700. Keep in mind that these missions will require hand flying and won't use the ILS for landing. Move on to Transitioning to Jets Mission. The Secret Shuttle Mission will get you familiarized with the 737-800. The Naples Landing Mission with the Airbus A321. And the Monsoon Mission with the 747-400.

For ILS practice, I used the Channel Crossing Mission flying the C172. It's a lot slower and more forgiving. You will need to use the autopilot to maintain the altitudes and headings given to you by ATC. You will need to be able to click on the arrival airport on the map and get the NAV1 freq for the runway ILS. After ATC gives you the final approach heading, you can turn on the APR button and have your aircraft make the final approach turn to the runway. It should also pick up the glideslope and bring you down to the runway threshold where you disengage the A/P and make the manual landing.

Good luck!;)

All pointless until you understand the basics of flight...

It would seem obvious that one need to understand the difference between `glideslope` and `runway threshold`!

Best to learn how to fly first!

but if that gets too tedious, then try the Missions.

But those don't do you much good if you can't fly the airplane. And the CRJ is far from a beginner's airplane. One (of many) reasons for starting in something like the Cessna is that in larger aircraft things happen so fast that you'll likely be (to quote my first instructor) "30 minutes late for the crash." Inertia is another (of many) factors that make larger, heavier aircraft more difficult to learn on. There are many more reasons, but those will do for a start.

To the OP: The time and effort you spend now on learning properly will pay off handsomely for you for many years to come. Flying is NOT an intuitive skill, and many things "seem" to be against "common sense." So learn it right...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I agree with the lessons up to a certain point. I did them and earned my Solo and PPL. I lost count of how many times the lessons were stopped because I didn't react perfectly enough for the instructor, who then proclaimed "The lesson is discontinued because you aren't paying attention!".

I think the OP needs to jump into a jet cockpit for a short Mission just to see what he's up against. I agree this is not the way to learn how to fly, but should be convincing enough to have him switch to the C-172 and the lessons on proper procedures.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I think the OP needs to jump into a jet cockpit for a short Mission just to see what he's up against. I agree this is not the way to learn how to fly, but should be convincing enough to have him switch to the C-172 and the lessons on proper procedures.

+1 Charlie. There's knowledge, and then there's WISDOM.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64