How much room do you have left on your drive? If you allocated a 64 GB rolling cache to a 64 GB drive, you naturally won't have any more space for manual saves.
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Well, will be watching this thread because I intend on doing same. Hope there is not a size limit because I bought this 10Tb HDD just for a MSFS cache.

Have you checked out all the "MSFS 2020 Cache" videos on YouTube?

This was good...

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I figured out my problem. I didn't have bing data world graphics on in the higher level menu. When I turned that on photogrammetry also turned on and the "View" option became available in the manual cache. Hope this is helpful to others and thanks for all your input.

i found out that the so called manual sceneries we create giving a name like "France" for a region, actually dont exist in the path directory.

its embedded in a file called "manualcache.ccc"

cause they are all in my C:/

and i would like to move it to a ssd drive

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

I have moved both the rolling cache and my manual cache to same drive (nmve ssd). It's not hard, just make a folder on the drive you want, then change the path in the setting in the game.

cache set up.png

I've also read that you want to keep your rolling cache not too big (8-16gb) because it gets loaded every time you start the Sim. So, to minimize that wait, make your rolling cache minimal. I'll be reducing mine from 64gb to 16gb.

Be aware that the manual cache will appear as the size you allocate, even though your manual cache profiles may be smaller. The sim reserves the whole allocation.

Also, rebuilding the cache files in the new location takes as long as moving a file. So, it may take several minutes for the process to complete.

Edited by stempski

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

Good stuff to know in this thread.

So keep rolling small and manual up to the size of the drive then.

Rolling smaller...manual larger - depending on how much you want to map.

I have all of SE Wisconsin and NE Illinois with about 25% of that on High detail and it only takes up 9gb.

If your internet is sufficient (Minimum 15 mips), you need less manual cache. Manual cache bypasses the download if it's cached.

Also, remember that the SIM will need to access the WHOLE manual cache file EVERY time you start it. So, if you have a 3tb cache file, it'll take as long as it takes to read a file of that size.

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Wonder if you could rename smaller manual cache's that you saved something you could remember such as "West Coast", "East Coast" etc.

Then rename them "MANUALCACHE.CCC" when you want to use one of them, to reduce startup time.

Rolling smaller...manual larger - depending on how much you want to map.

I have all of SE Wisconsin and NE Illinois with about 25% of that on High detail and it only takes up 9gb.

If your internet is sufficient (Minimum 15 mips), you need less manual cache. Manual cache bypasses the download if it's cached.

Also, remember that the SIM will need to access the WHOLE manual cache file EVERY time you start it. So, if you have a 3tb cache file, it'll take as long as it takes to read a file of that size.

Are you sure?

cause i have 200 GIG of rolling cache and 100. gig of manual cache and the sim takes the normal time to load as everybody else, one minute until "press a key" and then 2 to the menu plus anorher 2 to fly

How do i reduce the cache files?

Kapitan

If you already have a rolling cache file, you'll have to delete it before you can resize to a smaller allocation. It will not let you make it smaller if you have one already.

And, am I sure? As a former application programmer and senior analyst (now retired) - no... i'm not sure. But if I'm wrong, you can always change it. It just seems logical to me that the Cache files are allocated, then filled with whatever the Sim needs. When new data is loaded, older data is removed. That's why it's called "Rolling" cache.

But, your manual cache - in Windows explored has the same size as my allocation, yet I only have 1 profile of 9gb. When I fill up the full allocation, it will not let me map any more regions, until I delete some files.

Wonder if you could rename smaller manual cache's that you saved something you could remember such as "West Coast", "East Coast" etc.

Then rename them "MANUALCACHE.CCC" when you want to use one of them, to reduce startup time.

the problem is that there is no "East Coast" or West Coast. These are names given by you but there are nowhere to be found. They are coded inside manuacache.ccc

Kapitan

Stempski mentioned large allocated caches causes slow loading times.

So for my 10Tb drive I was thinking a 1Tb Rolling Cache and break up the rest into 1Tb blocks.

So while inside MSFS, creating a Manual Cache's of 1Tb. Work on the west coast (Washington, Oregon, California). These get saved into a file named MANUALCACHE.CCC by MSFS. Then when you exit MSFS, rename the file West Coast_MANUALCACHE.CCC.DIS in Windows Explorer. Renamed like this, MSFS should not see it.

Repeat for east coast, etc, etc.

When you want to fly in a different region, rename the current MANUALCACHE.CCC as LAST FLIGHT_MANUALCACHE.CCC.DIS or something. Rename West Coast_MANUALCACHE.CCC.DIS back to MANUALCACHE.CCC before you load up MSFS.

Just a theory, will have to experiment when I get it. I'm still waiting for my boxed!

dogdish...

The manual cache is meant to be used when flying offline. If you plan doing that a lot, then go nuts. But if you have a decent download speed (min 15 mips) the Rolling cache will work just fine.

Regarding the size, I read about the loading of the cache files over on the Microsoft Flight Sim forum - I don't know the exact thread - and it IS theoretical. But, it makes sense to me that for the Sim to load scenery based on the location of your departure, it will have to check both rolling cache and manual cache to see if it has it already, which means it will have to read ALL of both files. So, the bigger those files, the longer it will take to read the whole file.

But here's a thought, your 10tb drive, while extremely impressive, will comprise a very small percentage of the 1.7 Pedabytes that the global file is. Remember a Pedabyte is 1,000 terabytes.

10 tb / 1700 tb = .00588 * 100 = 0.58 %

only 169 10tb drives to go :)

I figured out my problem. I didn't have bing data world graphics on in the higher level menu. When I turned that on photogrammetry also turned on and the "View" option became available in the manual cache. Hope this is helpful to others and thanks for all your input.

thanks for the info , but how do u turn on the items u mention I don't recall seeing those settings

thanks

...The manual cache is meant to be used when flying offline.

Yes, I'm aware of this.

But here's a thought, your 10tb drive, while extremely impressive, will comprise a very small percentage of the 1.7 Pedabytes that the global file is. Remember a Pedabyte is 1,000 terabytes.

10 tb / 1700 tb = .00588 * 100 = 0.58 %

only 169 10tb drives to go :)

Yes, I'm aware of this also. I know I will not be able to download the whole world, however a larger drive will be able to hold more scenery, agreed? And no I do not intend on purchasing more drives.

yes..agreed... a larger manual cache file will hold more scenery.

and which items can't you turn on? If you mean the rolling cache size, it's on the general settings under Data... the manual cache size is in the "manual Cache" selection selection screen. The low, medium, high density scenery is dependent on how far you zoom in when mapping an area. The Sim will automatically select the scenery quality based on how far zoomed in you are. However, you cannot have high density scenery without low density first...it's a drill down thing.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Can you please explain where, i.e., in which 'higher level menu' you found the 'Bing data world graphics' option?

I cannot seem to find it in any menu in MS Flight Simulator 2020.

Thank you

Hi,

Can you please explain where, i.e., in which 'higher level menu' you found the 'Bing data world graphics' option?

I cannot seem to find it in any menu in MS Flight Simulator 2020.

Thank you

Edit:

I just realized that I had tested FS2020 without an internet connection, so that option became invisible.

It is back on now :-)

Thanks again

Although I did find the grayed Bing option, it was grayed because I was running without 'Internet Functionality' (top menu option).

I reset all to be on and when back on the main menu, all was OK :-)

However, now that I have reset all options to 'On', and I have re-booted (twice), my 'Manual cache' is again grayed out :-(

So, I think Microsoft is still VERY confused...!!!

Hopefully with the next update, tomorrow Tuesday 13 Nov 2020, things will get better.

If not, I will begin to regret buying MSFS2020 as well as a whole amount of hardware:

Full set of Thrustmaster full flight system, TCA clamp, Cougar etc....

• 3 months later...
dogdish...

The manual cache is meant to be used when flying offline. If you plan doing that a lot, then go nuts. But if you have a decent download speed (min 15 mips) the Rolling cache will work just fine.

I will be running FS 2020 on a desktop with a 1TB ssd (on order from HP). I didn't bother with adding a hard drive when I ordered it. We get 350 mbps download speed with our "Xfinity" broadband. From what I've read on this thread, it seems that with this download speed, I won't need a big manual cache.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

• 4 months later...

I was reading through this and this about cache do not make sense to me:

"If the rolling cache is set to high, it slows down startup time, because it is loaded upon startup."

Where is it loaded to?

Assume you have set up 64 GB rolling cache, it's probably not loaded into RAM. But where? It does not make sense to load it do another diskspace (like swap).

To me, this makes sense:

Both manual and rolling cache are used to save downloaded data. Because accessing any disk is faster than accessing a remote server.

The difference between rolling and manual cache is that the program manages the rolling cache (basically what data to remove when it is full) and the manual cache content is controlled by the user.

This would mean, the size of the rolling cache does not slow down your startup time, because it is only accessed when necessary. When you fly around, FS looks up if the needed data is stored in the manual cache, and if not in the rolling cache, and otherwise it must be downloaded.

Correct me if I'm wrong.