Pete Dowson Site Trojan warning

ratimics

Hi All,

I've been trying to download the FSUIPC 3.999z9 from Pete Dowson site, 'fsuipc.com'. However, keep getting a Trojan warning from my MalWareBytes Premium Software. Clearly I'm loath to ignore a Trojan Warning - does anyone have any idea how I can contact Mr Dowson please? I thought his support was hosted here but I guess with age I'm confused - Again!.... :-) (Any links at his site produce a warning if 'Clicked' on. )

Regards,

Blue

Hi Blue,

Can't you disable MalwareBytes for a few minutes and download and install the program FSUIPC 3.999z9.

I know for sure that it's a false positive, i just tried again before posting this.

Otherwise goto https://forum.simflight.com/forum/30-fsuipc-support-pete-dowson-modules/ for support.

http://www.worldwidevirtual.net/common/images/signatures/WW2634.png

Hi Blue,

Agree with the comments made by Leon...

Have both Malwarebytes (M) and Norton (N) installed:

1. With both M and N active only M gives warnings.

2. With only M active get warnings.

3. With only N active get no warnings.

4. With both M and N deactivated get no warnings from Windows Defender (WD).

Downloaded file and scaneed it:

1. M says it contains PUA - potentially unwanted app.

2. N says that it is clean.

3. WD says it is clean.

For final clarification uploaded the file to a website called Virus Total - LINK - this tested the file against 40+ anitvirus suites and cam back clean.

You can deactivate M and will still be safe as WD will start up - WD is an inbuilt AV tool that comes with Windows. It is automatically disabled if a third party AV suite is detected.

Regards

Brian

1. With both M and N active only M gives warnings.

I’ve found that Malwarebytes has gotten pretty aggressive with their warnings over the last couple years. Had to exclude a perfectly legitimate app to stop the warnings.

@ Loki,

Totally agree. IME it started when it went from being an 'on demand' app to a 'always on' app and the company released press briefings that implied that instead of the product being solely viewed an anti-malware (AM) product to be used alongside a AV suite it could actually replace a user's AV suite. This implication was misleading and it was later clarified by the company that it was not a 'true' AV tool

That said, Norton can also be aggressive but most of its false positives come from a 'in-house' virus definition, namely WSReputation1. Norton make it quite clear on the website that this warning is flagged solely on a file/apps reputation based on its usage by Norton users - the fewer the users the more likely it is to be flagged.

Regards

Brian

Hello Again All,

My sincere thanks to all who responded and indeed provided good evidence of their observations - that was really important as MalwareBytes was recommended by my Bank and I know quite innocent sites can be targeted by these 'Nasties'.

I shall de-activate the M software and Download the program.

Again, many thanks to you all and the Forum in general for providing this facility, for those of us with little technical Computer knowledge, help like this is most appreciated.

Regards,

Blue

Hello again All,

I de-activated MalWareBytes and downloaded the FSUIPC V3.999z9b as suggested and besided all going smoothly I am also happy not to have any 'Nasties' with the file - Well, you can't be too careful :-)

Updating here just incase some other computer dunderhead like myself is struggling to understand ;-0

Many thanks again.

Blue