Got my refund for MSFS

Sorry to say but I needed to return my MSFS and got my refund from Steam. I've been using FS since 3.0. I have a pilot license and my rig is i7 8700, 2060, 32MB 3200Mhz. The planes would not fly straight. My 787 would fly sideways while moving forward. I would go down the ILS and when I disengaged the autopilot the plane would just roll to the side. If was a joke. Forget the scenery crap, the physics of the plane flying was an absolute insult to flight sims. Maybe MSFS 2022, but a patched version of this one, Never!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doors, hitting, not let, way out comes to mind.

There's no doubt the sim has problems and in many aspects is still early access, but there is still plenty of fun to be had.

Once the study level aircraft start to come out, watch all these people who post about refunding, slink quietly back in and repay their $60 or £60... :)

Vern.

Enjoy what you choose to fly!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

Sorry to say but I needed to return my MSFS and got my refund from Steam. I've been using FS since 3.0. I have a pilot license and my rig is i7 8700, 2060, 32MB 3200Mhz. The planes would not fly straight. My 787 would fly sideways while moving forward. I would go down the ILS and when I disengaged the autopilot the plane would just roll to the side. If was a joke. Forget the scenery crap, the physics of the plane flying was an absolute insult to flight sims. Maybe MSFS 2022, but a patched version of this one, Never!

My experience has been the complete opposite...simply mind blowing on occasions.

For you guys that have had a good time i wish you all the best. For me, I like to lay out a flight plan in an airliner and do a 2 to 3 hour flight. I got the 320 to fly on a flight, but the 787 was a mess. Landing is a whole other story. So will I get the game again? Yes. In 2 years when everything is fixed and at CDKey.com for 39.99, not 119.99.

Keep your nose up and watch your airspeed.

You know these are default airliners, in a week 1 of release? I feel for you but maybe in a few weeks or months when the 3rd party add on planes and updates patch the sim you can check in and try again. Really not fair to compare the airliners in this sim to anything out there right now. Wish you and all the airliner guys the best.

I can appreciate people’s frustrations. Some of us aren’t as avid of simmers and are blown away. I stopped flying after FS2004, right around when FSX came out, and lots of people had tags on their profile saying “friends dont let friends fly fsx”. It’s just really the nature of the beast. The community is half of the sim and provides so much. Maybe we forgot what FSX was like off the shelf.

Yep, I just put in for a refund also. I thought I'd be smart and order through the Microsoft Store. Big mistake! After paying for the product, I went to download it and it said it couldn't find the device to download it to. Duh! After an hour, I gave up and requested a refunt.

I should have checked Amazon first. The reviews of the sim are absolutely horrible. Note: Just rechecked Amazon and they have pulled the 2020 off the page! People must be going crazy with this.

Assuming I get my money back from the direct purchase attempt, I'll try again in a month. Working with Microsoft and Windows has always been a nightmare, and I hoped that has changed since I left them years ago. Guess I was wrong...

I can't even play it at the moment (turns out due to hardware issue) and I am not even thinking of getting a refund. I know one day soon I will upgrade my hardware, MS will fix the major bugs, it takes time but we'll see it. They have too much to lose if they don't. Give it a chance.
I love the smell of napalm on my cornflakes.

I said I would not buy it because of not being able to undock views for multiple monitors. After 3 days i couldn't help myself and pulled the trigger with a 6.5 hour download from Steam. The download went without a problem. After watching a few youtube videos I was fairly confident to open the sim and do some experimenting. Went to windowed mode and stretch across 3 monitors and to my surprise it was beautiful. The learning curve now for me is the only downside, and I'll take my time and learn. Have not made a flight so can not opine on what might happen from here, but I think I will not want to go back!

Its called growing pains, I remember when FSX came out and I had to relearn it all over again, This is the same for me. I,ve managed to fly the 787 from KTPA to KORD, the AP I had trouble with but once I had control over it (Speed remained on I had to control the rest thru the flight) I learned to maintain it all the way to ORD. I did manage to land but it wasn't pretty.

I'm glad I got it and I know I'll still fly FSX from time to time.

Happy Flyin y'all

...but maybe in a few weeks or months when the 3rd party add on planes and updates patch the sim you can check in and try again.

Have you seen the ORBX release of London scenery (search in Youtube)? Looks terrible (low resolution textures, roads with crazy steepness etc etc) and everyone who comments says the same. I hope that the 3rd paty aircraft are better.

Edited by jparnold
missing question mark

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Have you seen the ORBX release of London scenery (search in Youtube)? Looks terrible (low resolution textures, roads with crazy steepness etc etc) and everyone who comments says the same. I hope that the 3rd paty aircraft are better.

Orbx acknowledged the problems and have committed to fixing them.

The $$ isn't the problem with me so I wouldn't ask for a refund even if I did buy it and ended up not liking it, I'd hang on hoping for patches that fix whatever it was I don't like, but...

1) Not everyone on the planet has a reliable 500 Mb/sec connection and the download is the stumbling block for me. Besides lousy speed, I have to download during the "off-peak" and I also have a 50 Gb data cap per month. Can this download be stopped and re-started again? Is it something I could spread out over a couple months? Is this something I can go visit someone with a useful internet connection and download, then bring it home on a USB drive? Is there an option like P3D where you can download parts of it and when you finally get all the parts you can run an installer to put it on your PC?

2) It sorta sounds like I could expect to at least be able to run it with my current hardware based on what I've read on the forums, the problem seems to be that I'm still on Win 7 so I need to upgrade to Win10. We did this on all of our work PCs not long ago and I have to say it pretty much went off without a hitch - but we weren't trying to run any 17 yr old software such as FS9. I know there are people running FS9 on Win10, but how much of a PITA is it to make that happen? I'm not ready to give up FS9 just yet, lol.

3) I've heard no mention of AI traffic in FS2020, and also does anyone know if sloped runways are supported? I'm wrestling with an airport in P3D v4.5 right now where the rwy slopes 58' across it's 5000' length and the mesh/flattens are driving me batty. Can we do sloped runways, and does AI work if you do so (or is there any AI at all?).

4) What happens if some bean-counter at MS axes the program before we see all these patches and updates everyone seems to be so sure are forthcoming? It wouldn't be the first time you know, ACES and MS Flight! should ring some bells, also DTG's FSW was never finished either. I'm sure Asobo has every intention of making it the best flight simulator there ever was but that's all contingent upon the mother ship continuing to pay them a wage. What makes anyone think MS is in it for the long-haul and not just a quick money-grab and bail?

For interest I checked the FSX forum and noted the dates of threads started in 2005 the year FSX was released.

I only looked at the titles/headings for the first 100 or so but I didn't notice any threads titled with anything which suggested to me that users were having problems like we read here for FS2020.

With all the months (years?) of anticipation including supposed testing by beta testers I wonder why people are having so many issues (I won't say problems)? Could it be MS never issued a test plan (list of things to test for) to the beta testers?

The same can be said about the new London scenery released by ORBX which looks worse than the default 2020 scenery. Did they too release before it was evaluated by the 'experts'. Yes they are "working on that problem" but why was it a problem to start with. It is glaringly noticable.

What we need to read here or elsewhere is estimate of when the next updates will be issued to give us something to look forward to.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

What we need to read here or elsewhere is estimate of when the next updates will be issued to give us something to look forward to.

As mentioned in the latest development update, more details about the first patch should be coming this Thursday.

Looks like I will put this one on the shelf for awhile and go back to P3D v5.

I have gone back and forth with this sim. Liking it, then hating it, then liking it again, and finally realizing that as gorgeous the scenery and weather and the smooth streaming of its graphics, the issues turn me off on it. I am guessing they will finally resolve enough issues to make it a decent sim. It doesn't need a lot. It just needs to be finished. Obviously it was released knowing it was glitchy and unfinished, but hoping the anticipation and scenery would make it a viable sell. The ability to calibrate joysticks would be a definite plus. Panning needs to be reworked. A lot of their aircraft lack a real flight model and are left on the shelf by me. I am a Cessna 172 fan since it is the only real aircraft I've flown in RL, but trim and rudder adjustment seem way too sensitive as do reaction to aileron input. Still it's flyable but with joystick inputs very touchy. Just flyable. since flight sims are about flying as much as looking at the scenery, problems with that area are a big turn off. Love MFS2020's look but it's too frustrating flying it with all it's other issues.

I did report a bug to microsoft. Beacon tower in the middle of the runway in New Zealand (NZOU). It was an easy bug to fix but reporting it was quite a process. You really need to be committed to giving them a heads up on something.

I'm glad I bought it but wish I had bought it a few months from now. The parts that are great are quite great. Since the graphic engine is solid, I am hoping they correct the obvious peripheral problems. When they do I will take it off the shelf again.

So it's back to P3d for me.

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3, 4, 5 REXII, OrbX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

With all the months (years?) of anticipation including supposed testing by beta testers I wonder why people are having so many issues (I won't say problems)? Could it be MS never issued a test plan (list of things to test for) to the beta testers?

When you start to find such basic issues as the autopilot not working properly, being switched off when you resume a flight and in the case of 747 lose your flight plan you have to wonder, 1. What the hell the testers were doing and, 2. Did the developer change a load of stuff in the release version from what the testers actually saw?

As I said earlier in the thread I'm not refunding, too late now anyway, but I do feel like I've paid £60 as the admission price to continue testing early access software. Just hope that MS and Asobo are prepared to do their bit in return and not abandon the title as they (in the case of MS) have a track record of not maintaining ongoing updates (Train Simulator got one set of minor bugfixes leaving all the major issues and half finished editor suite untouched).

Vern.

The ability to calibrate joysticks would be a definite plus.

You can. It's just undocumented but I have mentioned on here a few times. Go to the sensitivities screen in Options and adjust your sensitivity and dead zones. then move your joystick and throttle through it's full range of motions. That should make the sim see your new settings. Press F11 to save. Your aircraft will now be more controllable.

Vern.

I have to disagree with you. Having been a Beta-Tester for 2020, I have to say you should have worked at it. Okay it has it's faults but we forget because it was so long ago so did FSX (SP1/SP2), the main one being you needed a main frame computer to run it right. One thing this new sim made me realise was how FSX without wind was like flying on rails, and I must admit it took me a long while to get used to these `new' physics. In fact I think Asobo need to include in the sim the ability to tone them down a bit, especially when landing, but it is much more like the real thing. Consider this release as the latest beta, in 12 months time we will have so may addons you won't know where to look.