Where is the logic?

I live in The Netherlands and I have an internet connection of 1000 Mbps. After numerous installation attempts which froze and had to be abandoned, I finally managed to get to the 10th dvd and complete the first part of the installation on Friday evening. Chapter two: After non-stop downloading since Friday evening, I now still have to download 14,16 Gb. This clearly cannot be ascribed to my internet connection, the problem lies with the Microsoft server. Why couldn't Microsoft just have added one extra dvd to the package and spare us all this aggravation and stress? What is the point of making things this difficult for us? All the previous versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator (going right back to 1990 when I first installed Flightsim 4, on a computer with a harddrive of 40 Mb) installed without a single hitch. But this time around someone somewhere must have said: 'Let's make it really difficult, let's pester them, see how angry we can get them.' If Microsoft doesn't fix this problem fast (as well as the myriad of other problems I keep on reading about on the internet) this game will sink. Let's say I succeed in downloading the entire game by December of 2021 and my computer at some point subsequently develops some kind of problem, necessatating a new install, will I have to deal with this whole mess once more? Unthinkable. And as I write this, a new problem has just popped up: I'm busy downloading 'asobo-aircraft-sr22-0.1.32.fspackage' The download got to 82% and then suddenly dropped back to 0%, starting right from the beginning of the file again. If this carries on for much longer all I can do is return the game and bid Microsoft Flight Simulator farewell. After looking forward to the release of FS2020 for months, the disappointment of getting to know the real thing couldn't be greater.

The more I read threads such as this one the further back I put my decision to purchase or not.

I was going to purchase and download on the first day (18 August) but decided that "every person and their dog" would be attempting to down and that the download server might cause 'problems'. I am now glad that I did.

I also read threads on XPlane forums from people who state that (so far) Laminar doesn't have anything to worry about.

What happened to all the testing done by beta testers? Did they come across any of these 'issues'?

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

most ppl ave no isues at all installing.

it went fluid here ms store, 5 hour download.

its logical you see the ppl with issues on the forumes trying to find solutions, but its oten an issue

at their side, like not updated stuff, etc etc

you should not believe all the forum talk..most ppl have no issues.

the op has 1000mbps, me only 50, and i had no issues......

try it out via the gamepass. to see it if works only 1 dollar....great for testing it out.

That (try it out with gamepass) seems a very good idea but does that mean if you decide the purchase there would be two full downloads or is the gamepass restricted to certain (world) locations and aircraft type and so a smaller download?

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

exactly, tons of reasons...and ALL of them on the user-side

And they all start by saying "my system is top spec, fast internet and win 10 updated"

everything perfect on his side. Yeah...right

you know what?

dont believe you

Go back and search for your problem in your side

Its there

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Hi JP, I say buy it! It’s such a step up from previous sims. Despite the comments on the Xplane forum, there are plenty of people saying otherwise. I think Austin has had a free run for the last 10 years or so & has become a bit complacent. He will be worried now.

I bought MSFS from the MS Store. It took about an hour & a half to download, although it’s taking most people 4 or 5 hours. All depends on the time of day and your internet speed (I think you said you have a pretty good connection?)

If you’re still in any doubt, get the $1 game pass and try it for yourself.

By the way, I reported something missing to MS at the weekend. I’ve just had this interesting reply..

“Thank you for contacting Microsoft Flight Simulator support today.

We are planning to have discreet World Updates that focus on a specific region of Earth. The current plan is to do this every 2-3 months.

In order to really celebrate that particular part of the planet we are updating, we are also planning on creating some new hand-crafted airports, some new POIs and we will also attempt to provide some more activities … like landing challenges.

We are very excited about this as it will – over time - spotlight all regions of Earth, which we hope will bring focus to areas that might not be a current aviation hub”

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I must say that is beyond disappointing to say the least. I also hear there is not going to be a CD-version for the U.S. market. That is extremely dumb! This may be the end of the road for me and MSFS. Why do they have the ability to always reach out and pick the wrong thing when it comes to a new version of this program?

Aaron

Skysong Soundworks

Aaron

"exactly, tons of reasons...and ALL of them on the user-side"

I don't know how to say this gently but.......the installation process is a bit broken. We know it, Asobo knows it, and MS knows it. There is no other way to state it. To say that it's all a user problem is, well, just plain dumb.

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

"exactly, tons of reasons...and ALL of them on the user-side"

I don't know how to say this gently but.......the installation process is a bit broken. We know it, Asobo knows it, and MS knows it. There is no other way to state it. To say that it's all a user problem is, well, just plain dumb.

Yep, definitely plenty of issues that are not the user's fault. Sure, there is a learning curve with this new sim, key word being "new", but discounting all problems as the user's fault does no one any favours.