Steering aircraft on the ground in MSFS 2020

I hope someone can help me with how to steer my aircraft while on the ground for taxi. In FSX I could click on auto rudder and it would allow me to steer the aircraft with the flight yoke. In MSFS it says to use the Num + Zero button to steer left and the Num + Enter button to steer right. Using the number pad to steer while handling the throttle gets a little clumsy especially on takeoff and landing. By the way I did not see a way in the set up panels in MSFS on how to assign steering to the yoke. Any help would be greatly appreciated

• 2 months later...
I hope someone can help me with how to steer my aircraft while on the ground for taxi. In FSX I could click on auto rudder and it would allow me to steer the aircraft with the flight yoke. In MSFS it says to use the Num + Zero button to steer left and the Num + Enter button to steer right. Using the number pad to steer while handling the throttle gets a little clumsy especially on takeoff and landing. By the way I did not see a way in the set up panels in MSFS on how to assign steering to the yoke. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I am having the exact same problem. I think I was steering fairly well straight down the runway, but it is impossible for me to turn onto a taxi way. After three, 2+ hour flights, I ended up on the grass all three times because I couldn't taxi away like I should have. I was beyond frustrated.

in Options/Assistance/Piloting... Take Off Auto Rudder...set on ON, will keep you straight on take-offs and landings. I only fly prop planes so I don't know how well this will work on others, but assigning Left and Right braking, and going SLOW will allow you to feather the brakes needed to turn. Using your Yoke to steer works only slightly, and requires speed - because your using the ailerons to steer with.

Using the Zero and Enter also works for Rudder control... but again, gently feathering - press lightly and quickly.

Edited by stempski

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

I tend to give blips on the throttle and use the rudder, seems to work ok with auto rudder off. It’s not great in tight spaces but does the job
System: I7 8700k 3.7Ghz, RTX3070 inno3d iChill X4, 32Gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2 x 1Tb ssd, 1 x M.2 ssd, 1 x 250Gb ssd, 32" Gigabyte monitor, Thrustmaster T.16000m controller

Greetings all

Taxiing GA aircraft is relatively easy provided you have a set of rudder pedals connected! if you do not have one you should go and buy one! when taxiing on the ground in a GA aircraft, differential braking is used to turn the aircraft as the actual rudder has minimum effect on taxiing unless the airflow over the rudder surface is quite strong. I use Saitek rudder pedals and the toe area is the toe brakes, by pushing down slightly on each side while the aircraft is moving the aircraft will move in the desired direction.

When taking off, your aircraft should be pointed reasonably straight down the runway before you apply full power. Once you apply full power, be ready to correct direction with your rudder pedals. Air passing over the control surfaces becomes active and also the aircraft will be subject to gyroscopic effect by the propellers. Apply slight opposite rudder to the direction the aircraft swing to keep straight on the runway and gently lift and climb to 500 feet keeping to the runway heading.

Real pilots do not use auto rudder!;)

regards

The trick is to taxi SLOWLY - too fast and you simply run out of room, exactly the same as IRL. On the odd occasion I've encountered another player in the sim I've noticed them taxying as if they were being chased by ginormous monsters!

Even if you're using a keyboard it will make it much easier.

Of course a decent joystick is much preferred - I use a mid-range Thrustmaster Hotas-4 which has rudder operation built in as well as programmable buttons which I use for toe brakes. Have to wait for Santa Claus to bring me proper rudder pedals!

• 9 months later...