Is it possible to pan or use freelook with a joystick hat . . .

. . . and if not, isn't that lousy?

It appears the answer is no, but I just see the issue alluded to in other contexts.

To me it's a big deal and I think using the mouse freelook is a pain. You can map quickviews to the hat (POV arrows) and even map custom views to the hat/POV (apparently only for one airplane at a time), which helps but it's not as good. Why not go the extra step and just do freelook (the function formerly known as "panning") with a joystick hat? This has been supported in about every flightsim I can remember.

If it matters, I use a CH Products Flightstick Pro. I don't think this is brand or model specific.

. . . and if not, isn't that lousy?

It appears the answer is no, but I just see the issue alluded to in other contexts.

To me it's a big deal and I think using the mouse freelook is a pain. You can map quickviews to the hat (POV arrows) and even map custom views to the hat/POV (apparently only for one airplane at a time), which helps but it's not as good. Why not go the extra step and just do freelook (the function formerly known as "panning") with a joystick hat? This has been supported in about every flightsim I can remember.

If it matters, I use a CH Products Flightsick Pro. I don't think this is brand or model specific.

Ya, didnt like it at first either, but I keep my mind open. Flew tonight and realized how much better my control was by moving free look off the control stick.

Even better, if you mouse freelook down your set to mouse click on a control.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

I had the same problem but now I have it working just like FSX. Here's how:

Go to "Options" and then "Controls". Find your joystick and map your Hat switch as follows:

The commands you are looking for are "Cockpit look down, "Cockpit look down left" ect...

Map "Cockpit look down" to "POV" (with the arrow pointing down), "Cockpit down left" to "POV (with the arrow pointing down and to the left) and so on.

The most important thing is to pay attention to anything that is already mapped to you Hat switch because you HAVE to delete all duplicate commands or they will override your new mapping. Hope this helps and good luck!

my friend, we use hat switches since FS2000

more than 20 years.

What gave you the idea the answer is no and "lousy"?

always do a search in the forums

you have to configure all the buttons in both cockpit and external camera manually

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

• 2 weeks later...

I think I found it. It's under Options -> General -> Camera. Scroll down to the bottom and you will see sliders for Zoom Speed, External Freelook Speed and External Freelook Momentum. I chose to slide mine way left.

Hope this helps.

Lyf

I think I found it. It's under Options -> General -> Camera. Scroll down to the bottom and you will see sliders for Zoom Speed, External Freelook Speed and External Freelook Momentum. I chose to slide mine way left.

Hope this helps.

Lyf

Nice one, thanks [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I use my mouse for Freelook ever since MSFS 2.0 and my POV hat on the joystick to trim elevator and aileron. I had to use the generic default mouse in MSFS Controls, however, because the game did not seem to like my Logitech G300s mouse (yet.) I'll look around for game drivers for the mouse but the default mouse works fine. It took some fiddling to get it working but it's okay now. So is the POV switch. My slider throttle on my Logitech Wingman Extreme is not working very well but it might just need some tweaking. I had to reduce sensitivity of the joystick in the X and Y axes as well.

Hope you get your POV working for Freelook.

• 1 month later...
It should be noted (because I finally found it right in front of my face after 20 minutes) on the left of the “controls” window it’ll say “filter”. Make sure that’s set to “all”. I had it set to “assigned” and it didn’t show all the view options available.

• 1 month later...