FSX - the end?

pomak249

Just wonder how long this forum and downloads for FSX will continue after the launch of MSFS?

I know when i can afford to upgrade my rig i probably will depart too, seems a real shame but i guess thats progress!

Mind you FS2004 still hangs in there.

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Yeah I will keep FSX installed for nostalgia, but will probably now remove FS9 permanently. I have a ton of purchased add-ons for FSX/P3D and unless they can be freely or cheaply upgraded to FS2020, I might return to them occasionally, if only to see how it compares with FS2020.
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

I'll be with FSX for a long time to come.

Three issues need to be defined for me to change:

-Resolution of startup bugs

-Actual incremental cost to change

-Computer power actually required to run 2020 effectively

(As for the last point, I don't want my next simulator to be another never ending exercise in tweaking.)

If you look carefully at the forum home page you'll see that there are sections clear back to FS2002 under the Microsoft Flight Simulators section. But go to the bottom of that home page and you'll see an archived section that goes clear back to FS4, FS5 and FS98, among others. Note, too, that there is an Outer Marker where you can ask all kinds of questions.

And finally, note that in the file library (download section) there is still plenty of support back to FS98, which is over 20 years ago.

In other words, I doubt Nels will abandon FSX (or FS2004 or...) anytime soon.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I can tell you now I will still use FSX. It became my favorite game, 1 I'll remain loyal to for some time to come. The new MSFS is great, but its going to take me awhile to learn how to make it what I want.

Happy :pilot: Flyin

This is exactly how I feel. I no longer run FSX itself but use P3D V4 and V5 but I consider them part of the FSX legacy. MSFS was great to fly around look at things etc but it is nowhere near what I want in a flight simulator. Perhaps someday but it isn't right now.

Great to know guys my fear was that MSFS is such a radical change and visually stunning that all the others would get left behind! Personally i love FSX and its gonna be a long while before my rig gets upgraded!

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

I am not about to spend a $120.00 for a program that is riddled with bugs and core issues. I will wait until they are corrected before I jump in. In the mean time, FSX will serve me well as it has for 14 years. I purposely upgraded my PC last April with the goal of it being able to run MS2020 but now that acquiring it is on hold, FSX is enjoying the benefits and so am I. FSX will be around for a long time.

FS20020 has great scenery and amazing detail, but if you want to fly a lot of common aircraft, FSX still has the selection and flight characteristics most expect. It will be at least a year before you see a lot of available aircraft that fly correctly in FS2020.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

FS20020 has great scenery and amazing detail, but if you want to fly a lot of common aircraft, FSX still has the selection and flight characteristics most expect. It will be at least a year before you see a lot of available aircraft that fly correctly in FS2020.

Question is, do you have the hardware to run FS2020?

You seem to have the same `problem` as me, at the moment..!

Like many others here, I, too, have and use FS2004, CFS and FSX regularily. I've accumulated hundreds of addons that won't be available to MSFS for many, many years. I have enjoyed FSX since the beginning but unfortunately have never been able to run the program sliders "full right". I want to be able to do that. MSFS looks glamourous and in time the bugs will be taken care of and at that time I will take the leap then and try it. Until then, the absolute best reason for MSFS's existence is that it forces me to get a machine to run it and in so doing, I will be able to experience FSX in all of her intended glory: radial engines, helicopters, Concords, Orbx scenery, PMDG, FSLabs and A2A aircraft and all of the other wonderment I have missed. Thank you MSFS for lighting the fire...........Blue skies to all..........Terry

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

I am running it easily. I get 59fps (monitor is 59 refresh rate) in the areas I fly most (middle of the country outside big cities). I have the settings between high and ultra (I don't care about pretty clouds but I want great planes and land textures). I have turned on 30fps limit but it really is easier to run than X-Plane 11.4. I don't get much in the way of stutters, but i am lucky to have a fast internet connection which helps. The fast M.2 really helps and I have plenty of ram. The RTX-2070 is an 8gb card.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

It took me several years and lots of money but I have FSX just the way I want it.

FSDT airport and ground services bring life to my airports.

GEX and UTX enhance the scenery.

REX 4 makes my skies, clouds, water etc look damn good.

Real life airlines, both user and AI, thanks to the old Traffic X program and the library here.

Several add on aircraft, payware and freeware.

Megascenery Earth Nevada for photoreal scenery of my state. (Ok, no weather changes nor 3D buildings and such, but that’s ok)

So I can definitely wait before taking the FS 2020 plunge.

Edited by kingnorris
CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I'm presently acquiring components to build a new computer before downloading MSFS. However, the download won't occur until FSX is reinstalled and tweaked. While MSFS is a 64 bit application with the advantages of accessing lots of memory and running much smoother than FSX ever could, the new computer won't help FSX much. On the other hand, MSFS is still in it's infancy and time will be required before a good selection of aircraft and airport scenery is available to fill specific needs. So I see my transition from one simulator to another as being gradual.

FSX for serious flying, in aircraft I love to fly, to favorite airports using a controller/display setup tailored for my needs. MSFS for exploring real world scenery in a Cessna 150 while waiting for improvements which will allow me the same functionality I've achieved with FSX. FS2004 was and is a good program, but I never understood the loyality it still maintains except for it's ability to run on a minimal computer setup.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

Hi everyone.

Given all the information I have to date and the restriction of having my umbilical cord constantly tied to A$$obob/ M$ I may never get it. First sim in over 30+ years that I will not even try.

It will be interesting to see how long before the hackers will have a field day with all the simmers being connected 24/7 to Inet. Given all the bugs that this sim has I would suspect that it will be easy to exploit.

That aside I did a comparison with some pics from another forum and the FSX with self generated 10 yr old Ortho for may area, and given the way I use the sim as a tool not for scenery view I see no reason to switch. If it ever comes to where I can install and use like the FSX and or XP11 without having to deal with the A$$obobos, I may try it.

Below I have some pics of one the airports I use, and I was able to compare with some existing pics, if some you that have FSXX would like to post some better pics please do so.

I use the FSX in 4K mode and the pics that I am posting had to be reduced but you can get the idea. I have more ground references in FSX than they exist in FSXX.

I can use FSX as a more complete tool when it comes to Ground reference points, obstacles.. than XP11 and from what I see better than FSXX. It runs fine in 4K and while it may have some outdated data I use it with an external android device / tablet with Avare that has all the latest updated information that I use in Real World flying.

It's a shame, they could have done a much better job using a couple of the coders from the old team and just upgraded FSX, a missed opportunity and broken promise, originally stated to be for Real World pilots, as it now it's not even a decent game.

FSX-CoronViewt16.jpgFSXX-CoronaViewMrk16.jpgSNA-OVRVEW-REAL16.jpgSNA-OvrViewFSX16.jpgSNA-TERM-TWR20L-Real16.jpgSNATwrTermFSX16.jpg

FSXX-KSNA-ClsUpMrk16.jpg

So do I have this right?

You buy 10 DVDs for the boxed version of MSFS2020 yet you still have to fly online to get the scenery like in the screenshots???

I thought it might be (the end) but now I'm not so sure.

I originally uninstalled XP11 to make room for FS2020 but have since reinstalled it. I never took FSX off (though FS9 has gone as not really compatible with Win 10 and 4K graphics).

A perusal of the FS2020 forums will reveal more but suffice to say, as presented to us by MS/Asobo in its initial form, FS2020 is little more than a flying game. Nice scenery simulator (if you have the bandwidth to stream the Bing maps) but riddled with niggles and bugs, not all of them small ones. In some ways, we have paid £60 to be early access open beta testers but with the concern as to whether MS will do a Dovetail and not bother with any fixes of substance, while pushing expensive DLC.

It could be a while before we get any decent freeware or payware to see if the game is up to being a procedural and study level sim. Unlike FS9 to FSX (or FS2002 into FS9), there is not a long list of aircraft or scenery that can be converted across with a few tweaks.

So FSX (and XP11) will remain if you want more than a 40 minute VFR pleasure flight, in a GA aircraft which is just as likely to spin into the ground as bank round a corner, when you move the joystick.

Vern.

FSX will always be popular, it has so Many Addons in every category, its very easy to develop for it and runs perfectly, you can count on more new stuff will continue to be added and for the price of it in Steam it will be with us for many years.

... but if you want to fly a lot of common aircraft, FSX still has the selection and flight characteristics most expect.

Don't overlook the uncommon aircraft. In FSX I can fly Russian planes like the Tu-128, Yak-26, concept planes like the Boeing Blended Wing, imaginary birds like the "Mig-31" Firefox, and countless other military aircraft of all nations. Not so, not yet, in FS2020.

Edited by ftldave
add txt