Is there a way to import old aircraft models?

While there is a legacy flight model compatibility option, it looks to be more for developers rather than users dropping in add-ons for older sims. Given the changes in the new sim, I wouldn't expect many, if any, older add-ons to be compatible without at least an update.

No. You have to wait for the developer to upgrade the model and sell it.

Wjy would you want to use an `old` model? Surely, new sim = new models, and they need to be better?

I can't see any point to using prior, sub-standard models nor `forcing them to fit`

Wjy would you want to use an `old` model? Surely, new sim = new models, and they need to be better?

I can't see any point to using prior, sub-standard models nor `forcing them to fit`

If someone has planes that they really liked in previous versions that are not offered in the default new version.

It would be nice to get some of the old IFDG, POSKY etc. freeware in there with some sort of converter.

The more complex study level stuff such as PMDG, Level-D etc. would probably have to wait until/if the developers decide to go for it.

This IMHO is the biggest disadvantage of FS2020 over previous iterations and why so much attention is being focused on the flaws in the default which we are reliant upon possibly for many weeks and months to come. Going from FS2002 to FS9 or FS9 to FSX there was usually something you could bring over and it would work sufficiently well, you didn't need to bother with default.

Vern.

The best use I can think of for FSX or earlier models is as AI traffic.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Yes, not being able to use their favorite addon could be a reason for some people not to get the new sim and wait until the developer brings it out for FS2020.

And a lack of enthousiasm from players coul keep developers from converting.

(chicken egg)

Implementing a compatibility mode could convince these people to make the switch.

But this could come with it's own problems.

For example, can Asobo legally use FSX code, given that Microsoft sold it to Lockheed Martin?

And what about addons made for P3D that don't work in FSX?

What if the compatibility mode introduces it's own bugs?

Or not all addons work in it?

Yes, not being able to use their favorite addon could be a reason for some people not to get the new sim and wait until the developer brings it out for FS2020.

(chicken egg)

Implementing a compatibility mode could convince these people to make the switch.

For example, can Asobo legally use FSX code, given that Microsoft sold it to Lockheed Martin?

Microsoft didn't sell the IP rights or code to Lockheed, they only sold a licence to LM so they could keep developing on the ESP code base. Note that MS also licensed the code to Dovetail for their ill-fated FSW project. Asobo and Microsoft have both said in a few interviews over the past year that Asobo started by reviewing the FSX code base to going.

While backwards compatibility does have its advantages, as other have noted, it also has disadvantages too. Two big ones being it usually holds back development and implementation of new features, as well as adding more work for the developers in maintaining it. Sometimes it is better to cut ties in order to move forward. In this case, there is nothing stopping people from keeping their old sim installed for the aircraft they currently enjoy, while also flying the new sim. Many developers have already jumped on board, so I don't think we're in too much danger of the chicken and egg conundrum.

If I may add to jeroen79's list, and I direct this to simmers and developers alike:

If you just want more of the same, why bother with MSFS?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

There are 14 years between FSX and FS2020, which had been five versions in good old times. How much FS95 add ons are used in FSX?

MDL and BGL are sequential languages to describe a model - there is no way to make them parallel. So IF there would be a way to bring this code to FS2020, the complaints would be soon that it is too slow.

On the other hand, as it looks to make scenery or aircraft in the quality that it enhances FS2020 is much more work than it was in FS2002 times - so until we will see such a wealth of addons as for the former generation this may take a decade - unless 10th of millions of users create such a big market that 1000ds of professional programmers can be paid. So please - be patient.

As much as I miss my Embraer Phenom 300 I think that not having it straight off the mark gives me something to look forward to. It also allows me time to fully explore the sim before "putting on my old slippers"

I am just having fun trying to land effeciently at the moment with the new flight model [emoji5]

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

(chicken egg)

Microsoft LICENSED ESP, the professional/commercial 'not for entertainment' version to LM, so that they can develop it.

They licensed the 'for entertainment' FSX to Dovetail, & their development license has expired.

Asobo obviously had the FSX core to use. So, yes, there is obviously compatibility issues, It's not a One Size Fits All sim. Consider it a completely new sim & not an update/upgrade to anything else, & you will not be upset if older legacy stuff does not work.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

The biggest challenge for anyone who wishes to 'import' an FSX or P3D aircraft into MSFS is the requirement that it be 'packaged' into a precise folder structure, and that at least layout.json and manifest.json files are created. These two files define the package's structure and provide the instructions needed by MSFS to properly load the aircraft or scenery 'package.'

What this means for the simmer is that installation involves nothing more than to

simply drag and drop the 'package' into your Microsoft Flight Simulator "Community" folder. Installation complete!

However, only XML gauges are supported, so that imposes a severe limitation. MSFS does not allow use of .gau or .dll type gauge files at all.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

The biggest challenge for anyone who wishes to 'import' an FSX or P3D aircraft into MSFS is the requirement that it be 'packaged' into a precise folder structure, and that at least layout.json and manifest.json files are created. These two files define the package's structure and provide the instructions needed by MSFS to properly load the aircraft or scenery 'package.'

What this means for the simmer is that installation involves nothing more than to

simply drag and drop the 'package' into your Microsoft Flight Simulator "Community" folder. Installation complete!

However, only XML gauges are supported, so that imposes a severe limitation. MSFS does not allow use of .gau or .dll type gauge files at all.

Bill,

Does the MSFS SDK (or something else) give us the tools to make those json files so that we can import our old aircraft, or panels, or gauges? And can we edit the xml for the MSFS gauges? Thanks, okbob

Related question, I think. Never built an aircraft model, but I've built a lot of scenery using Sketchup. I think many modelers have been using GMAX. Is it possible to use old GMAX or similar models and insert them in MSFS2020 using the outlines in the SDK (or a new version of Model Converter X by the GENIUS😁 ). If so, a general community storehouse for old freebe models could be developed for anyone to use (by copyright, etc) like we do now, if original modelers were willing to donate their work. I'm thinking an original GMAX AIA model, or the like, uploaded to FlightSim.com with the usual warnings, and a guru of effects and flight dynamics finishing it up. Just wondering?

• 2 weeks later...

Two pages of thoughts and opinions with no answer to the original question. Sorry OP, I'm wanting to use an old (favorite bush plane) as well.

@OP try here maybe...

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/guide-converting-aircraft-from-fsx-to-msfs.448744/

Edited by chik
W10 Pro, Maximus XI Hero Z390, i9-9900K@5.2G, Air, 1000 Watt PSU, G.SKILL RipJaw-V 16GB, 2-RTX2080Ti's, Samsung 970 PRO 512GB, Couple More SSD's, 2-Vast Curved 6880X1440, Everything MAXED!!!

• 6 months later...

I know the point you are making. However, some people struggle to afford a new set of addons. Reality for some, especially old, ailing, no longer working individuals.

Oh for the days when I could earn!

Regards

One reason is the better freeware planes of the past. Yes, most older freeware was of limited realism, a bit of it was very poor for realism or detail. BUT.... the top end of freeware planes were OUTSTANDING. Truly worth putting into MSFS. I'm thinking specifically of several Soviet era aircraft that were made for FS2002 and 2004 that were downright inspirational, the Antonov AN-26 and there was a couple of Tupolevs, a turboprop airliner and a trijet.

If there were a path to converting them, or enabling their use in the new sim, it would be worth the trouble. Especially for aircraft that have been done for the earlier sims, but don't have a single example being considered by payware developers.

Ok, so what's another reason? Weird and unpopular planes. The ones that simply won't be made by payware people, and might take years or decades for a freeware version to appear. Might be the C-124 Globemaster. Or the CriCri. Maybe a C-7 Caribou. Or a NASA lifting body prototype. Maybe the Transavia PL-12 Airtruk, the strangest, dumpiest excuse for a plane that actually flew... and appeared in a Mad Max movie because it looks like it belongs in a post-appocalypse!

Maybe because I enjoyed such weird and wonderful unique planes in FS2004, and want to experience them again in new awesome scenery, with maybe other improvements that come with the new simulation product.

Another reason: AI aircraft. There was a LOT of freeware AI models that were outstanding, that actually looked just like the real proper variants of common aircraft, with lots of repaints from real world airlines and operators. That were low-poly for running smoothly in FS2004, but still looked really good, and would cost nothing for todays computers to run.

AI Aardvaark planes are worth looking at for this reason. But there are many, from Yak regional trijets, to giant Antonov cargo planes, to B-737-200's... I'm just saying, once you look past all the "meh, forgetable" freeware, there's actually a lot of gold in those old freeware databases.

I have been using the "MSFS Legacy Importer" a freeware tool that converts old FSX aircraft into the current MSFS format. Worth a google search if you want to try it out. I can get a few aircraft to show-up using this tool but some have missing cockpits and/or the flight model is stuffed.

Thankfully I DID manage to port over my FSX vintage Real Air SF-260 which flies well, stalls and spins. Much nicer to fly than the default aircraft IMHO.

Always remember to switch between MODERN and LEGACY flight model if you do port over an earlier aircraft. I keep forgetting!

Good luck

TrafficPilotUK