Got my refund today!

Yes, I am happy that I got a refund for MSFS2020 today. I am saddened that it was such a disappointment. Others on this forum already stated the same frustrations and issues I had. What really kills it for me is the external view options. They are horrible! I was told that you can "Pan" if you hook up an Xbox controller. So, now I have to add another piece of gear just to get Panning views??? And, if you check the other people on this forum that were disappointed , I have the same issues. So, my question is, will Microsoft listen to users and put out updates and fixes like the other two Sims do? Or is this it? Take it or leave it. I want to like this sim but just cant.

For the panning you should be able to re-map it to your existing peripherals, no need to get an Xbox controller.

They have already said that one patch is on the way, and have also indicated there will be more updates coming in the future. See the roadmap section in the article below for one description of what the plan is.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/ms-flight-simulator-our-yoke-on-look-at-new-features-gorgeous-flights/

Hopefully they do get the issues sorted out soon. Certainly does seem like it was released a little early.

Yes I was also originally flustered and disappointed by the new viewing system, but persevered and experimented and now have a viewing system (using my CH Products Fighterstick and Pro Throttle) that works well, albeit a little different to what I'm used to. The only view that's desperately lacking is a flyby, one of my favorites in other sims.

But I have no doubt that Microsoft/Asobo will fix all these annoyances and omissions, remember FSX only really became a worthy product after the SP2 and Acceleration updates a year later. Fortunately I don't do pre-orders and release-day purchases and using my XBOX Gamepass subscription to try out the standard FS2020 version. So, for that price I'm more than happy to go on this journey.

Having said that, I'm already considering to buy the Deluxe version the moment it goes on sale (probably in a year's time), to get hold of the steam-gauge C172 and Cape Town Intl airport. For me this is the flight-sim I've been waiting for and I'm more than prepared to suffer the few stutters (which will be fixed) and different viewing system, to enjoy the magical new world that has unfolded.

Just last night, I took a trip from Maine to Boston in a King-Air and when I got to Boston, my jaw dropped. I've already flown a few of the other sceneries in FS2020 and was very impressed, but nothing could prepare me for the majesty of seeing Boston almost like real for the first time. It was near midnight and I've already had several days of marveling at FS2020, but I literally couldn't stop as I was just gawking at this beautiful city skyline from afar, harbours and miles of houses and factories almost like it would be in real life. I can never go back to FSX/P3D or even X-Plane (except for nostalgia) - it will be like watching a He-Man animation after seeing a Lord of the Rings movie.

Edited by rooitou
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

I’m surprised reading the “too much of a learning curve” comment.

I thought the whole point of flightsimming was learning new things, experimenting, etc...

Remember when FSX came out? Tweaking and experimenting was both frustrating and interesting.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I was told that you can "Pan" if you hook up an Xbox controller.

I have used an Xbox controller for panning since day one, and it works perfectly in Drone mode.

W33

X-Plane 11, P3D. 32GB RAM, i7 8700k, 1080Ti, Oculus Rift, 1TB SSD

problem is not with the game, but with the gamers.

i am having a great time bushflying with the xcub.

game is way easier to get in than fsx, xplane.

no longer flying on rails..ofciurse there are issues, obviously, but none gamebreaking at all.

it says a lot, those gamers , some things go wrong and they quitt, instead of finding out how it works.

As I said before, Xbox console version will be a flaw, because this is the kind of gamers that use xbox, persons that know very little about systems, periphereals, configuring.

And gemtlemen...flying is a skill, if you dont know the skill you cant fly.

simming is also a skill, if you dont know quite a lot about computers, systems, periphereals configuration, folder managing, tweaking, you cant sim or your experience will be frustrating.

yes my friend, as Loki said you can PAN... I am panning fine both in the cockpit, external view and drone camera, and you can create as many external or drones cameras as you wish and pan from 360 degrees.

All you have to do is in Controls set the Look functions to each one of the position of the hat switch, up, down, left, right, upleft, upright, downleft, downright... but not surprising as i read in this forum 80% of new simmers (which are representative of the xbox average gamer) just cant do that.

imagine all the other tweaks that has always required by all the previous sim versions to enhance the game and make the immersion enjoyable. Its a skill, it requires forum reading and knowing the system and the game file structure. like flying, knowing your plane, systems and procedures.

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

All you have to do is in Controls set the Look functions to each one of the position of the hat switch, up, down, left, right, upleft, upright, downleft, downright... but not surprising as i read in this forum 80% of new simmers (which are representative of the xbox average gamer) just cant do that.

I can't do that either, because I've already assigned the cockpit camera views to the Hat Switch. If I try to assign External or Drone camera views to the Hat Switch I have to overwrite my existing cockpit camera view assignments. It's ridiculously over-complicated and unnecessary, the hat switch should function in all modes - but it's hardly worth a refund...

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

No you wont

You can asign the same POV view to multiple cameras of the four different chapters:

Camera cockpit

External

Drone

Fixed custom

Its not like FSX that switches could only be asigned to ONE thing

Here you can have multiple, the sim will advise hou with a ! That its already asigned to another function, but go ahead and validate it anyway. As long its in a different “chapter” you can repeat the function to the camera you need

Happy flying

Kapitan

Here you can have multiple, the sim will advise hou with a ! That its already asigned to another function, but go ahead and validate it anyway. As long its in a different “chapter” you can repeat the function to the camera you need

Thanks for that, the warning message really put me off but I'll try it now.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Tried that didnt work. And I'm not new to sims. Started with Sims after I could no longer fly ( real airplanes ) but, started simming in the Texas Instruments mono chrome days. So I'm not new to this. With a brother working for Microsoft I got every MS Flight Sim that ever came out for $10. The good ole days! But this new one is just frustrating. Its probably best to wait for them to update it and make a few changes.

thats great man!

what specifically isnt working for you so I can try to help

Did you watch the video?

What doesnt work for me is the panning views. I watched the videos and no help , in fact it looks like the same thing happens to the guy in the video. I want to be able to set AP, go external, and "ENJOY" the view of the plane and surrounding terrain. I have had people come back at me and say "Its a simulator, can you pan in real life...be a real man and fly 100 % internal like the real thing." Well, NO. I' bought the sim and will use it as I want. And Panning external is important to me. Its how I relax after a long day of working in the Operating Room at Hospitals. High stress job, and with XP11 and P3D I get to relax with a nice plane and cup of coffee. And the view is important to me! After that comes the other issues as described here. Parking brake issues, inability to have internal views that do not snap back before you can click on a thing in the cockpit. And it goes on and on with little things I could probably find a way to live with. But, add all those together and do not give me the exteranl view I want, and that is a deal killer.

Ok, you manage to pan inside in the cockpit, right? you set the POV "LOOK" up/down/right/left/downright/downleft/upright/upleft ok? good

Now go to CAMERA, EXTERNAL, and look for the same options

"LOOK" up/down/right/left/downright/downleft/upright/upleft

and repeat the process

for each press you will be reminded by the sim "!Careful, this funtion is already asigned..."

but dont worry, go ahead and confirm (validate)

try it

Kapitan

Ok, you manage to pan inside in the cockpit, right? you set the POV "LOOK" up/down/right/left/downright/downleft/upright/upleft ok? good

Now go to CAMERA, EXTERNAL, and look for the same options

"LOOK" up/down/right/left/downright/downleft/upright/upleft

and repeat the process

for each press you will be reminded by the sim "!Careful, this funtion is already asigned..."

but dont worry, go ahead and confirm (validate)

try it

It pans internal but jerky. If you pan left it goes left then snaps back to forward after about 1 second. I tried the reassigning of the camera, and validated but that never worked properly. I attached a game controller I had and it worked but not really well like it does in the other two sims. It was just sort of "Ok".

It pans internal but jerky. If you pan left it goes left then snaps back to forward after about 1 second. I tried the reassigning of the camera, and validated but that never worked properly. I attached a game controller I had and it worked but not really well like it does in the other two sims. It was just sort of "Ok".

thats how it should go for cockpit and external

2C178DDD-D071-4A16-B255-90A9C2383F56.jpeg

B86668F5-9B19-44BB-AD76-F5412AF4D1BE.jpeg

Kapitan

I caved in and bought the $1 Xbox for PC "trial" so I can see the new sim for myself. After 2 days I am still on the ground. The new sim is just too frustrating to use. I go way back to Sublogic. I have purchased every sim up to this new one. Now that I have tried it I can honestly say that I am very glad I did not buy it. Other than the pretty views there is nothing else I like about MSFS. Going back to my old FS9 with all my addons. Good luck to those of you sticking with this thing.

@Kapitan - Thanks again, it works!

@RTod - If you want to stop your views from snapping back to center, go to Options/General/Camera. Most of the options will be set to Hold by default, change them to Manual where available, or Toggle everywhere else. This will stop the annoying snap back.

thats how it should go for cockpit and external

Yea, thats how mine looked and it would not work without snapping back. Or for external it would simply look over the tail. Of course there were those annoying icons for instruments etc. But the best I got was a tail view. Anyway, I appreciate the help but I got the refund last night and deleted it from my drive with the exception of one file that for some reason will not allow me to delete it. Another frustration. Lets see where it goes once they patch it.