MSFS Known Issues

Melbourne scenery has a mysterious upright structure, like a tower or some thing, jutting up to about 1500 ft located to the East of the field. As a Melbourne resident and simmer, i know there is no such structure in real life. The scenery guys should have got this right. All in all, i'm happy with it and have flown directly over my own house which was recognisable.

See the article below for more details on what happened with this. The short version is that the sim uses AI to create the scenery, which in turn uses various external sources of data. One of these, Openstreetmap, had a bad value for the height of the house. Sounds like the error has been fixed in Openstreetmap, but won't appear in the sim until they do a refresh of the scenery for the area.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/aug/21/melbourne-fawkner-suburbia-users-poke-fun-at-microsoft-flight-simulator-glitches

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

F-ING AMAZING!! I just read ten pages of issues that obviously show 2020 to date is totally unusable as a sim!!!!! (IMHO a "flight sim" tries to actually simulate RW flying experiences. And yes AOPA, FedEx, UPS, etc. are actually using "sims" to enhance pilot training every day!!)

IMO This product will never ever qualify as nearly as close to a "Sim" as FS9, FSX, X-Pane, or P3D. And yes, as an old real world pilot, I've tried each of those including being totally disappointed with 2020!

So I and probably you as well, was stupid enough to waste $100+- to be "Charley" Testers on a POS software that only shows pretty pictures and is IMO only a test platform for online gaming hand held toys.

There is no way anyone can even pretend this $100 software is even close to being a sim!![ If it were actually a RW product that sold for $100, there would be so many lawsuits about it, it'd rightfully fill up the courts for probably a decade!!!

Forget About 2020!! IMO Unless you play with a handheld game console there is no way they are interested in you or I!!! Didn't they do exactly this same scam a few years with a pretend sim for online use involving "flying" around Hawaii?

BTW: Every time I do a mandatory Windows Ten "update" all it means is I get more ads!!!! They don't G.A.F. about anything but receiving advertisers' dollars!!

If you're still on Windows 7 or whatever DON'T EVEN CONSIDER "UPDATING" TO WINDOWS TEN!!! I'M TRULY SORRY I EVER DID!!! It's as bad as FS2020!!

Is this a joke? If not, a sedative is recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been doing flight sims for 20 years and I agree, too much reflexive criticism. How about some gratitude, appreciation, enjoyment, and looking forward to what is to come (Buddhist-type thinking ...). I have excitement about it. I did have to upgrade my joystick as my Microsoft Sidewinder was a mess (to a Thrustmast T Flight HOTAS 1 which works great). I like the idea that I learn new things and am working on "optimizing" it continuously).

So I have spent the afternoon trying to resolve the loading issues with FS2020...my take is I really think this game was released too early, still in the stages of development. This is not a stable game, and yet people have invested a lot of money in upgrading their CPUs and desktops.

On top of that, I use it via Xbox Game pass which is also buggy. And those 140gb of space needed...

I will give it a last shot and if unsuccesful, I'll try it again in a couple of weeks when we have hopefully a stable version.

There are other demanding PC games like Doom Eternal. You can download it and that's it, you can play with it, no issues of updates and crashes and so on. It's not open world but still.

Fix it or take it out!!

How can they fix what isn't broken? Many of us run it without any real issues. My updates are really very quick. I am sorry your experience is not a happy one, but it isn't the program, it works fine for many of us!
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I spent the best part of 3 weeks trying to get the sim to run. It would load and run to set up a flight but would crash to desktop shortly after clicking on Fly. Usually no error recorded. A couple of errors referenced memory issues.

Today, looking through issues in the event viewer, I discovered that my page file was way too small. I reset it to system managed and the sim runs normally now.

I am in no way suggesting that everyone set the page file to system managed, just because it worked for me.

The point here is that it was not the sim that was the issue, but a setting on my system. No matter how new or robust our systems are we have to check our systems if we are having issues. Sometimes it is our own system that is causing the problem.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

F-ING AMAZING!! I just read ten pages of issues that obviously show 2020 to date is totally unusable as a sim!!!!! (IMHO a "flight sim" tries to actually simulate RW flying experiences. And yes AOPA, FedEx, UPS, etc. are actually using "sims" to enhance pilot training every day!!)

IMO This product will never ever qualify as nearly as close to a "Sim" as FS9, FSX, X-Pane, or P3D. And yes, as an old real world pilot, I've tried each of those including being totally disappointed with 2020!

So I and probably you as well, was stupid enough to waste $100+- to be "Charley" Testers on a POS software that only shows pretty pictures and is IMO only a test platform for online gaming hand held toys.

There is no way anyone can even pretend this $100 software is even close to being a sim!![ If it were actually a RW product that sold for $100, there would be so many lawsuits about it, it'd rightfully fill up the courts for probably a decade!!!

Forget About 2020!! IMO Unless you play with a handheld game console there is no way they are interested in you or I!!! Didn't they do exactly this same scam a few years with a pretend sim for online use involving "flying" around Hawaii?

BTW: Every time I do a mandatory Windows Ten "update" all it means is I get more ads!!!! They don't G.A.F. about anything but receiving advertisers' dollars!!

If you're still on Windows 7 or whatever DON'T EVEN CONSIDER "UPDATING" TO WINDOWS TEN!!! I'M TRULY SORRY I EVER DID!!! It's as bad as FS2020!!

People the world over are using Win10 with zero issues, myself included. Since you are referring to it as FS2020, I can only assume that the rest of your infantile tirade is equally over exaggerated and incorrect. There is no such thing as FS2020. It is called Microsoft Flight Simulator, with an official abbreviation by Asobo as, MFS. So clearly you're uninformed, and equally unintelligent. Win 7 is full of security holes that were fixed in Win10, and with no active support for Win7 it's like making a boat out of window screens. I like many others, am perfectly happy with with the money I've spent on MFS, and you saying that MFS is not close to FS9 but worse, leads me quickly to believe you've never flown a single hour on the new MFS. Also I don't see where you are getting ads on Win10, since that is easily gotten around with a good ad-blocker. I see no ads what so ever on my system. If you are truly an old pilot then you should know that the limitations of the home desktop simulator will NEVER match those of a full motion Level-D simulator, to even try to use that as a point of contention is laughable at best, and pathetic at the least. I see you've even edited your comment, meaning that you actually thought about it after you posted it, and left it in its current form. All your bold font just serves to call attention the most egregious comments within your outlandish statement but they are not the only points that are off the mark.

I have an issue with loading the game. The game started doing weird things overnight. First I had an issue with crashes to desktop that was solved by next update, then after few weeks another issue started to occure. The bluebar when loading the game became moving very slowly and at the certain point everytime stopped. I sent the report to support centre, they offered me some solutions on their website, but those didn't work for me nor forum advices were helpfull. So I reinstalled the whole game that is time consuming thing but it solved my problem... for two days. Then it started again, so I'm trying to reinstall the game again but I've switched off all maintainnance programs this time. I consider if the problem is in my computer or on Xboxe's servers that are overloaded perhaps? I know that it's not only me who has this problem, so why don't they at least tell if they'll solve this issue that occured for some users. I am not the IT expert and why I should be? Edited by Hans Mike

While that blue bar is moving, the sim is loading the files in your Packages folder (the Official ones as well as the Community ones).

Windows Security will also check them as they are loaded by the sim, and THAT's what causes the delay. You can add the whole Microsoft Flight Simulator folder to the virus exclusions list to speed things up a bit:

Go to the Windows menu, select Settings, Update & Security, then select Windows Security from the list on the left.

Select Virus & threat protection, then under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings.

Scroll down to the Exclusions section and click on Add or remove exclusions.

Click on + Add an exclusion, select Folder from the drop-down menu and navigate to your MSFS folder:

Microsoft Store version:

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Packages

Scroll down to Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe and click on Select Folder

Steam version:

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

Scroll down to Microsoft Flight Simulator and click on Select Folder

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

When I go to Content Manager, a lot of my entries have a message, “Newer game version required to update”. Does anybody know what that means? Can I update, or are they just trying to get me to buy the deluxe version of FS?

This message comes up for planes I already own.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

When I go to Content Manager, a lot of my entries have a message, “Newer game version required to update”. Does anybody know what that means? Can I update, or are they just trying to get me to buy the deluxe version of FS?

This message comes up for planes I already own.

This happens when there is a new version coming. In this case there will be a new update later this week.

Responding to Rupert

I converted to Win 10 from 7 so that I could install MSFS. While I would have preferred to stay with 7, I have been able to make my Win 10 pro (which I paid nothing for) look and feel pretty much like Win 7. So I see no major problem there.

I'm a GA pilot so I know how a plane handles and for the first few weeks I might have agreed with you because I was using an Xbox controller for pitch and ailerons, (I did have pedals for the rudder and brakes) especially at first before I learned how to calibrate the controller and set the sensitivities, I was disgusted with the simulator.

All that has changed when I installed my Thrustmaster T16000M joy stick. Right now I'm very satisfied with the handling of the light aircraft that I've been flying. I live in an area with lots of hills up to about 2500' and I've been flying low following roads a lot. This requires some pretty drastic aerobatic flying and I have to credit the simulator, it does a good job of replicating the flight experience for this type of flying (down in the valleys, climbing over ridges barely above stall speed). Landings are tougher in the simulator than in real life, but maybe that's to the good. I've been able to slip to burn off energy when I was coming in a little too hot, I was impressed with that. You can do loops if you set them up correctly; if you pull too many Gs you'll tear the wings off, just like IRL.

If the simulator can replicate the type of flying I've been doing, I don't see how anybody flying under instruments would have room to complain.

Ny only complaint ts that they used Bing for the landscape. If they would have used something equivalent to Google Earth it would be awesome.

It's only three months old, if they keep improving it, it will be the gold standard someday.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Again no mention of revisiting the default aircraft physics which are causing the control issues most of us are having.

I also have discovered that many of the GA aircraft have controller and general flight mechanics problems. I.E. I learned to and fly a Baron 58. The old FSX models flew fairly realistic. But in MSFS 2020 aileron and rudder control are way out of line; the AP does not hold accurately and even goes wacky; landings are hard; etc.

I'll agree that landings are more difficult in the sim than in real life. It would be helpful if the software was adjusted to make flight paths more stable after passing the runway threshold. I assume it will be fixed / adjusted sometime in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
What a load of fanboy tosh!

I've been running flight sims since Airbus A320 on the Amiga in 1993. I'm pretty certain I know my way round a setup screen and stick configurator. I have never come across a sim (sorry, game) where it is virtually impossible to hand fly. I have tried all sorts of sensitivity settings and dialled down the FPS as suggested elsewhere. Over at Avsim someone already posted they have examined the flight dynamics of these default Asbooboo aircraft and they are way off.

I loaded up XP11 yesterday evening and hand flying a Cessna was perfectly stable and enjoyable.

As it stands, FS2020 is a pretty scenery simulator (at the cost of streaming Gb's of data) but as a flight sim it's at best early access.

Something must be wrong with your setup, surely? I've had great enjoyment with the GA aircraft with over a hundred hours of flight. My only difficulty has been with the over-sensitive rudder. I too am a long-time flight sim enthusiast, having started in 1982. I think it's a bit harsh to describe MSFS2020 as you do. There is a great deal to admire about it, although it certainly has quite a few annoying bugs at the moment.

Check that your controllers are working properly and are calibrated correctly! This sounds like a controller that is calibrated correctly!
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

• 1 month later...
This sim is almost impossible to hand fly. The inputs on the ailerons were slow to react, necessitating some over con controlling. Air speed with all throttles to idle show poor reaction. The dynamics of the sim need to to be adjusted to reality. The programmers have a lot of rework to do.

Nope. YOU have got a lot of controller calibration to do, like the rest of us. The settings are all there for you, Man Up and DO IT.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

You are right,

But the potential is with MSFS2020

The climate work of Meteoblue is amazing

As with all flightsim versions, fixes and bugs will take one year to get sorted.

But you will need time yourself to get used to the new interface, flightplan and other new features that require a learning curve, so take that time to do that,

I got this sim a month ago. I do miss the helicopters (as bad as they were in FSX) and feel the GA aircraft in this version are not bad. The airliners are a bit off. I have 10 hours on ultralights flying. I have many hours flying in the right seat in C-172, Aero Commanders as a SAR navigator. So have some idea of what is realistic or not when flight simming. I got a few thousand hours in MSFS from the early 90's to now.

So my opinion is, yes the long term potential is with MSFS2020. I am fine with flying the G/A C-172 NG with the flight director on, for long distance VFR nav flights or bush flights exploring the world. The scenery is just fantastic. I have uploaded the Italian MB-339 military jet trainer so I can have my low level, fast flying fix somewhat.

But I feel all the various planes that you had in FSX, some should surely be in this one by default or free upgrade down the road. But realistically they are probably going to take a lot of reprogramming and testing time. If they get the Helicopter, glider, supersonic flight dynamics right and the aircraft quality is there. I could see parting with a modest sum for a couple of helicopters for my hanger. Or for classic airliners like 707, 727, DC-9. Classic turbo props like the Vickers Viscount/ lock heed Electra - 4 engine, or 4 engine piston ones like DC-4. Some supersonic a/c like the SR-71 or Concorde. As well as early aircraft like the Sopwith Camel, Fokker Triplane, or the beloved Dehavilland Tiger Moth.

Basically a/c that we have seen in past variations of MSFS. I don't think its too much to ask for these to start showing up the second year after release. I am all for having patience with them fixing current and known bugs properly. As is I am not ditching my FSX yet, with all the add on I have purchased. With my FSX Global terrain mesh and scenery/terrain addons it has been a pretty a sweet set up.

Right now this latest version MSFS202 (Steam download-January 2020) is 10 steps forward with scenery, and about 2 steps back due to bugs and lack of variety of different types of Airframes that are missing.

Edited by casarabill
spelling, grammer

The more I fligh, the more desappointed I am by this scam! out of the wonderfull eye candy of the sightseeing from altitude, all is wrong. outdated bing datas, awfull AI work on buildings and sure, bridges! Sorry can't succeed loading a screenshot of the river Seine (France) two first and prominent High bridges, but their representation is NOT acceptable. Plenty like that plus some underwater, and everywhere. I lke flying VFR in France, and only the position of the roads and rivers are quite accurate, you can't rely on villages to correct your track, some are missing! Too many errors to mention everywhere in the whole world. How many patches will we have to wait for, knowing that the second one did not adress the needss!

I have found my experience flying at all altitudes is that the scenery has been 98% accurate. I flew by Mount Fuji in Japan and I could see the hikers foot paths up the mountain! Fantastic!. I landed a the Caravan on a beach like runway in Costa Rica after flying from San Jose. The simulator replicated the flight just like I remember the SANSA Cessna Caravan flight we actually flew into it.

I flown past Mount Etna, in Sicily. It showed the road I drove up to the ski lift parking lot and the buildings there. I then flew on towards the town of Traponi (sp?) where I had seen a roman Amphitheater. the Sim replicated the town topography, the street lay out and included the Amphitheater. But they showed it in the 1/2 moon shape but with a roof ( there is no roof) and not the open air steps/seating.

I flown to my own home on a tiny lake I grew up on and I can see their representation of my house. And the big circular drive way that goes to the back of it. That's pretty impressive. If the only plane that is accurate is the C-172. I be happy to fly around the world with that, with the accuracy of the this versions scenery.

I flew departed from the airport near the Island of Boracy, in the Philippines. Another place I have been to. In the scenery, the island is replicated accurately as is the main airport a couple of hours to the south in which the main runway is accurately portrayed in the scenery as surrounded by rice patties.

Yes I have seen the spikes in odd places, but its really not that much to complain about and they probably will be ironed out over time. Yes, I flew around Sydney harbor in Australia and see they did not represent the main bridge in Sydney accurately. That should be a easy fix as it is a major landmark. And if its a major landmark, email the developers about it.

I will not be emailing them about the Amphitheater in Trapani, Sicily! :-) As I be busy flying and exploring somewhere else

Edited by casarabill
adding more thoughts

May I ask, have you ever flown an aircraft for real and what type so you can make accurate comparison? Although no longer a licenced pilot I have flown lots of different types in the past, from small aerobatic stuff up to and including the mighty 747 - admittedly that was on an official BA simulator at Heathrow but it doesn't come any more realistic than that!

Although I haven't tried every aircraft in the sim, those I have are pretty close to reality, some better than others I'll admit too. If you're used to shoot 'em up, high speed chase type games then MSFS is going to feel very pedestrian - but that's not what it is intended for.

If I'm wrong about your experience I apologise in advance. So then it would seem that some of your control settings could do with tweaking. I wouldn't recommend setting them to full sensitive either, then it WILL be unflyable.

• 4 weeks later...