How do you calibrate a joystick or HOTAS in FS2020?

As far as I know, "Calibration" of game controllers is done in the Windows Control Panel.

In the Controls section of MSFS 2020, you assign the axes and buttons of your controller.

Here is Squirrel's video on the subject:

Hope that helps.

I have a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS myself and found the in-game calibration to be exceptional. It automatically applied all the buttons as if I was flying the A-10C. To custom calibrate your HOTAS go into Controls and their should be an option on top of the screen to select which part of your HOTAS you want to calibrate.

From there you should see a picture of your device with a bunch of dedicated numbers telling you which button is what. Then go into whatever you want to calibrate, Primary Flight Controls, Autopilot, etc. and select the button you want to calibrate with the Input selection. Select the number that corrisponds with the picture of your device and select the button number from the Input selection and press Validate.

That did the trick for me. It was a little confusing at first but once you figure it out its quite intuitive.

• 4 months later...
I have a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS myself and found the in-game calibration to be exceptional. It automatically applied all the buttons as if I was flying the A-10C. To custom calibrate your HOTAS go into Controls and their should be an option on top of the screen to select which part of your HOTAS you want to calibrate.

From there you should see a picture of your device with a bunch of dedicated numbers telling you which button is what. Then go into whatever you want to calibrate, Primary Flight Controls, Autopilot, etc. and select the button you want to calibrate with the Input selection. Select the number that corrisponds with the picture of your device and select the button number from the Input selection and press Validate.

That did the trick for me. It was a little confusing at first but once you figure it out its quite intuitive.

You're talking about button selection menu, not calibration dude.

You're talking about button selection menu, not calibration dude.
See post #2 in this thread.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

This illustrates why it is so difficult to get folks to realize their control problems may be due to a calibration error. Apparently some folks think if there buttons are assigned correctly, it is calibrated??? Calibration is getting the control device to accurately scale the movements of the control surface. In other words, when you move the slider all the way forward, the throttle advances 100%, not 88%.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Sure I read somewhere that Windows automatically calibrates new devices although it may take a few seconds to do it. I'd guess it also helps if you do a "full and free movement" check of the controls before you taxi, as you would IRL.

Sensitivity is handled in the Options/Controls page of settings in-sim.

I have noticed, however, that sometimes the button/slider allocations aren't right and need you to make manual changes. I use a T.Flight Hotas4 which is generally okay but the Xbox 360 controller has been "changed" a couple of times in updates.