Question about specs to run Version 5?

retnavycpo

Ok.

I have a friend who lives just north of Murphy, NC, and cable internet is not available; nor is satellite access. The only way he can get internet is by tethering his phone to his desktop or laptop. Not exactly optimum situation, and he has no idea when internet might be available.

So, he had a PC system built. I suggested to him that he have the guy who built his PC - download/install P3DV5 onto his system, as the guy does have cable internet access. Now granted, he would have to take the PC system back to the guy to download major updates, etc..., but it is a workaround at least.

He is wondering if his PC will run P3DV5. I am guessing you guys can answer that question!

Here is what he's got:

Intel® Core™ i7-960 Processor

Nvidia GTX 1650 Super

1TB SSD drive

12gb DDR Ram

What do you think? If he can get P3DV5 installed, does his system have the capability to run smooth enough? Thanks.

Your friend can run v. 5, but only just so.

The CPU runs at a base clock rate of 3.2 GHz, just above the bare minimum of 3.0 GHz. And before you start mentioning turbo clock rates, forget it. Those can only be maintained for a limited time, then the CPU will throttle itself back to protect itself. Permanent overclocking is different, but demands good cooling.

So the basic v. 5 will run, but slowly, and any add-ons added will add to the burden on the CPU.

And FYI, the system requirements can be found here:

https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/

Jorgen

Your friend can run v. 5, but only just so.

The CPU runs at a base clock rate of 3.2 GHz, just above the bare minimum of 3.0 GHz. And before you start mentioning turbo clock rates, forget it. Those can only be maintained for a limited time, then the CPU will throttle itself back to protect itself. Permanent overclocking is different, but demands good cooling.

So the basic v. 5 will run, but slowly, and any add-ons added will add to the burden on the CPU.

And FYI, the system requirements can be found here:

https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/

Jorgen

I'm running under a low-end CPU and GPU (i5-3570 and 452.60 on a GTX1660) and have few problems as long as I stay out of City centres.

I will shortly be upgrading in order to run MSFS 2020, so your friend should be able to run v5, as long as he stays away from large screen displays and hi-res. (I run under 1920x1080 at medium-res display).

mallcott, your Ivy Bridge is still two generations newer than an i7-960. The fact that it's 3Ghz doesn't make much difference, it's around 9 generations behind. I'd stick with FSX, or upgrade.

Cheers!

Luke