List of hand crafted airports

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I hope that link is misleading! To quote from the RealSport page:

"Microsoft Flight Simulator will feature a total of up to 40 airports available for you to use depending on the edition you purchase.

Every single airport in the world can be seen, but only a handful will allow you to takeoff and land."

This definitely is not the impression given on the actual MSFS Videos that have been promoting the product. Yes, there will be a range of airports that will be rendered at very high realism levels, while every other airport will be there, just not quite so true to RW, but definitely usable. It would be crazy to move from, say, FSX where you can use any of the many many thousands of airports/airfields/airstrips throughout the world, to a world with only 40 usable places to take off or land.

Have I got this right?

Edited by FlyerDoc

There are over 37,000 usable airports in MSFS. Here's a better informed article on windowscentral.com: https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-airports

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Nope, you got it wrong. There is a list of hand crafted airports in each of the 3 versions. These are more detailed than the 37000 'manually' edited airports, and all the other world airports are take-off & landable.

So, no, there are 10's of thousands of usable airports.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I'm being a bit slow here, but I can't see anywhere that it explicitly states that flying in and out of any of the 37,000 airports/airfields/airstrips will be just the same (I mean in terms of there being solid and level aprons, taxiways, runways, navaids, ATC, proximity to nearby scenery, trees and other hazards) as the 'hand-crafted' airports.

I realise and accept that they cannot all be exact and accurate replicas, until the third-party people get on the job. Are there some of the promotional videos that show normal aircraft activity in and out of any of those 37,000 non-hand-crafted airports? Seeing would then be believing.

I'm being a bit slow here, but I can't see anywhere that it explicitly states that flying in and out of any of the 37,000 airports/airfields/airstrips will be just the same (I mean in terms of there being solid and level aprons, taxiways, runways, navaids, ATC, proximity to nearby scenery, trees and other hazards) as the 'hand-crafted' airports.

I realise and accept that they cannot all be exact and accurate replicas, until the third-party people get on the job. Are there some of the promotional videos that show normal aircraft activity in and out of any of those 37,000 non-hand-crafted airports? Seeing would then be believing.

Look for the Feature Discovery Episode on airports Asobo put up on YouTube (it's linked here in the forums as well). As others have said, all of the airports are available to fly in and out of, and have similar features to the handcrafted ones.

Look on YouTube, there are tons of videos about airports and features.

That all looks good and very reassuring. It's a real pain when certain apparently knowledgeable commentators (eg RealSport) get it all wrong and spread inaccurate information. Like so many out there I'm looking forward to setting off up the new learning curve and hopefully, in time, to start contributing add-on material even if only in a small way. That's the way FlightSim has grown and evolved and should continue to do so.