FS2004 Won't Open in Windows 10

robasket3535

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my SONY VAIO VPCL218FW to from WIN7 to WIN10. Like everyone else, I have trouble opening FS2004.

I've read many forums indicating the FS2004 9.1 update and the NoCD patch will fix the problem. (including running as administrator and using Windows XP SP2 or 3 compatibility to open the game)

However, after trying many times of reinstalling, updating, and amend settings, I still can't open FS2004.

I immediately click on ALT+Enter right after I open the file, the EULA (End user license agreement) shows up, but when I try to click on "accept" those terms, the who application freezes and then shut down.

It doesn't matter how many times I try it, it's still not working. It has become very frustrating because I have played this game for more than 15 years and I still find it very fun to play it. Now because of the upgrade to WIN10, I can't play it anymore.

I am wondering if there's anyone could share the same experiences and possibility to provide any other solutions to it?

Thanks very much in advance and I hope I could ever play FS2004 again!

Sincerely Yours,

Rob

Hi Zswobbie1,

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I've just tried again to install under C:\Flight Simulator 9 instead of its default folder, but it's still the same.

The ALT+Enter is the switch between full screen mode/windowed mode. For some reason, when I click on ALT+Enter, the EULA shows up; if i don't, there's absolutely no response when I try to open the game.

Hi Robbin,

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I've tried again to install the game under C:\Flight Simulator 9 instead of the default folder, but it's still not opening...

The ALT+Enter is the switch between full screen/windowed mode. For some reason, I can see the EULA if I click on the ALT+Enter (although I can't click on "accept"); and if I don't, there's absolutely no response and the game just automatically shuts down.

Hi Rob,

Could it be that your system is missing some 'essential libraries'...

Use Programs and Features to check if you have any of the following 'libraries' installed or, if you wish, simply download and install them - the installers will check for any previous install and will replace any missing/invalid/corrupt files or install the complete package as appropriate.

Direct X (DX) - FS2004 requires version 9 (actually 9c to be specific), and although it is included on the installation disks, it is woefully out of date and is known to be incompatible with Win 10 (Win 10, depending on the build state source file, only ships with DX v10 or above). I suggest that you download and install the DX Redistributable pack from HERE.The pack includes full versions 9, 10 and 11 and the install process will only install missing versions and/or replace missing/corrupted/incompatible files of the versions it finds installed.

Visual C++ Runtime Redistributable packs - specifically version 2005 and 2008 but I also recommend installing 2010 as well. You can find download links for earlier versions HERE.

.NET Framework - specifically versions 3.5 and 4 - download from HERE

The DX download contains both 32 and 64 bit OS versions and will install the necessary files for both as required. However, for the C++ and .Net downloads you will need to download the relevant 'bit' version for your OS.

For all downloads - Click on the required link and a standard download option box will appear - DO NOT run the installer from this but select the Save As option and save the file to temp location. To install, right click on the file and select the Run as Administrator option. Install each package separately - in the case of C++ and .Net starting with the oldest version first , and reboot using the RESTART option between each install. The reboot is essential to allow the windows registry and important system files to be updated.

It is worth pointing out that you can have multiple versions of these 'libraries' installed. They are not just required by FS2004 but are used by many programs and apps. They will work happily along side each other and a program or app will automatically use the most compatible version.

Regards

Brian

Mmmm, very strange indeed. Ive never had an issue, & I'm using an Asus i5 4GB laptop, Windows 10 & 8 difference versions of FS2004. I can switch at any time using ALT + Enter.

The other thing I can suggest is to delete the FS9.cfg & restart the sim. Just maybe it will sort itself out.

To find it, I use a desktop search engine called Everything from http://www.voidtools.com

AS soon as you start typing, it starts searching, & it's very fast!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Brian,

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation of each file I may have missed.

I've followed your instruction to install Direct X, Visual C++ 2005, 2008, and .NET Framework 3.5 & 4.0.

I basically had no issue installing Direct X, Visual C++ 2005 & 2008. However, when I tried to install .NET framework 3.5, there was no response after I clicked on the .exe file. And when I tried to install 4.0, it says my computer already has the 4.0 version, so it didn't allow me to install.

And when I check the windows features, I can see .NET Framework 3.5 is already ticked. (therefore I assume it's already installed?)

I've restarted the computer and tried to open FS2004 again, but unfortunately, it still doesn't open... :(

I think I will try a few more times to see if this works...Thanks again for your kind support!

Hi Robin,

Thanks again for your kind assistance!

I followed your instruction to download Everything and typed fs9.cfg, and for some reason, there's no such file...... is that something usual??

Rob

Hi Rob,

It could be that the fs9.cfg file is there but with a different or corrupt extension...for example fs9.bak

Try a search using fs9* - the inclusion of the * is a "wildcard" instruction so it will list any file that starts with FS9. Or you could try *.cfg - this will list all files that ends with a .cfg extension.

It could also be that the file is hidden by windows by default. There are a number of ways to change the settings to display hidden files see HERE

Regards

Brian

Hi Robin, Brian,

Thank you very much for suggesting to find the fs9.cfg file.

I actually did think of that before, so I already ticked to show the hidden file before I did the search. But there was nothing shown either.

I am guessing it's because I was never able to "enter" FS2004 at all. (as it stuck in the EULA and then shuts down)

I also did another brave move. I have an old hard drive from another computer which I had FS2004 installed. So I copied the fs9.cfg file from there to the current PC I am using. Unfortunately it's not working either...I think because the .cfg is not created from the current PC, all the configuration is different.

Thank you both again for such kind support, I will continue trying different ways..

Rob

Rob, just an idea, have you tried to run FS2004 from the old hard drive?

Maybe you can copy that old hard drive install to C:\ & remane the copied folder to FS9 & the exe to fs9.exe

This way, you will have a 2nd install & when you run it, a fs9.cfg will be created (hopefully)

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Robin, Brian,

Thank you very much for suggesting to find the fs9.cfg file.

I actually did think of that before, so I already ticked to show the hidden file before I did the search. But there was nothing shown either.

I am guessing it's because I was never able to "enter" FS2004 at all. (as it stuck in the EULA and then shuts down)

I also did another brave move. I have an old hard drive from another computer which I had FS2004 installed. So I copied the fs9.cfg file from there to the current PC I am using. Unfortunately it's not working either...I think because the .cfg is not created from the current PC, all the configuration is different.

Thank you both again for such kind support, I will continue trying different ways..

Rob

Hello your Fs9 cfg will be found like this.

Click on your C: Drive to reveal its contents.

Look for 'Users' Folder and open that.

You should see three folders named. Default folder ,Public folder and your unique PC name folder.

Click on your unique PC Name folder and look for folder 'App Data' you should see this time....local ,local low and roaming . Click on Roaming and look at the files there ,you should see file Microsoft.

Click on that and you should see amongst other things FS9.

Finally and hooray click on that and there you will find your fs9 cfg.

If you have got this far ok but rather than delete your FS9 CFG it would better to rename to something like FS9 original or suchlike just in case its not an FS9 cfg problem.

Try again to restart FS9 , if it opens then FS9 will have automatically created a new copy for you.

This may or may not work, but eventually you will be able to sort this FS9 start up problem i am sure ,and once you have done so, rather than go through the above long winded ballyhoo to find your cfg, make sure to create a shortcut to it once located to your desktop instead ,you made need to access quickly for other reasons in future .

Anyway if you know all this already then simply ignore the above.

If i have made any errors in my post on locating your fs9 cfg you have some very clever people helping i.e. Longbreak ,Zwobbie etc who will correct me if needs be and amend my instructions.

Good luck

hope you get it working soon

cheers Andy

Edited by HoratioWondersocks

Could you please provide a detailed step-by-step explanation of your installation sequence?

I suspect the problem may be solved by following the procedure below:

Win10 does not (now) accept the original out-of-the-box fs9.exe (as explained elsewhere) so you need to substitute the original FS9.exe with FS9 "xyz" (the programme which cannot be named) first. Now load the sim. After this boots up and allows you to accept the EULA, reboot your computer. Now swap out the "xyz" (programme which cannot be named) with the original .exe and install the FS9.1 patch and then the FS9.1 (programme which cannot be named).

Or at least that's how I've had to reinstall FS9 in Win10.

To INSTALL FS2004 to your new Windows 10 PC

1. Install into C:\ NOT into it's default C:\Program Files

2. Install the 9.1 updatel

3. Install the 9.1 nocd patch

4. Right-click the FS9.exe, select Properties

5. Select Compatibility mode, & select XP

6. At bottom, then select 'Run as Administrator'

7. Double click the desktop icon

As per the 1st post on this forum..

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa