X-Box or upgrade?

This is probably way to early to ask but I'm going to anyway

So here's the thing. I'm going to buy the new FS as I've bought all the others since FS98 but to do so I need a new computer or an upgrade.

I'm in no rush. It's going to be at least the new year by the time I have saved some money, finished various projects around the house and earned some brownie points at home. I also want to see how it performs, what add-ons come out in the next few months and what systems you are all running it on.

Having looked around at specs and things I can build a decent machine for around £7-800 (I'm in the UK) which I think would run the sim fine. £1,000 is the target saving and that might get me into another level especially for future proofing a bit.

However, having looked at the specs for the X-Box Series X even £1,000 on a PC doesn't seem close enough to the performance of the X-Box for what might be £500-£600 (we don't exactly know how much the X-box will be yet).

So, if I have £1,000 to spent in five months time should I not just buy an X-box and use the rest for add-ons and peripherals?

So, if I have £1,000 to spent in five months time should I not just buy an X-box and use the rest for add-ons and peripherals?

That's what I plan to do. I've registered with Xbox UK to email me when the Xbox Series X is available to pre-order.

On other sim websites I've seen people saying that you can't expect the same performance from a £500 console as you can get from a £1500 gaming PC. Clearly you can, which means that gaming PC components are grossly overpriced. PC gaming has become a mug's game.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Going for an Xbox Series X is certainly a valid path to take. However, be sure to look into any limitations with the console version. For example, I suspect the only add-ons that will work on the console will be ones bought through the built in Marketplace, and not independent apps, like Orbx has, or other websites. Another point to watch is that all games on the Xbox consoles require an Xbox Live Gold subscription for multiplayer support, which will likely apply to the sim too.

I still doubt that the console version will allow for the simulation full features and realistic operation of some cockpits as intended by the developers to emulate real aviation. Without a keyboard and a joystick, very difficult. Most Xbox players have the gamepad-joy, which is odd to use as a plane controller, similar to using a mouse in the PC...limited, tiny control.

An automated specific for Xbox to land, take-off, "go to cruise" kind of option may be available to allow play-ability.

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

@Loki and Kapitan - ignorance is bliss. Kindly prove your allegations. Edited by tiger1962

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I still doubt that the console version will allow for the simulation full features and realistic operation of some cockpits as intended by the developers to emulate real aviation. Without a keyboard and a joystick, very difficult. Most Xbox players have the gamepad-joy, which is odd to use as a plane controller, similar to using a mouse in the PC...limited, tiny control.

An automated specific for Xbox to land, take-off, "go to cruise" kind of option may be available to allow play-ability.

The Xbox already supports keyboards, mice and joysticks.

@Loki and Kapitan - ignorance is bliss. Kindly prove your allegations.

Which part do you need proof of? I’m basing everything on my direct experience with the Xbox and how every other game on it works, including what Microsoft has posted about it. The Xbox platform has always been more locked down than the PC is, and Microsoft has been quite clear about Xbox multiplayer requiring Xbox Live Gold.

Which part do you need proof of? I’m basing everything on my direct experience with the Xbox and how every other game on it works, including what Microsoft has posted about it. The Xbox platform has always been more locked down than the PC is, and Microsoft has been quite clear about Xbox multiplayer requiring Xbox Live Gold.

Xbox Studios have also been quite clear that Microsoft Flight Simulator will be a cross-platform game and that content installed from one platform will playable on any of the others. I haven't seen any indication that add-on content will be restricted to one platform only.

Edited by tiger1962

Xbox Studios have also been quite clear that Microsoft Flight Simulator will be a cross-platform game and that content installed from one platform will playable on any of the others. I haven't seen any indication that add-on content will be restricted to one platform only.

Please re-read what I said as I never said content would be restricted to one platform. What I did say is that it is very likely that content on the Xbox will only be available through the built in marketplace.

Again, Xbox Studios have said that commercial and user-generated content will be accessible, and haven't mentioned any limitations that I'm aware of.

Microsoft have decided that moving Flight Simulator onto Xbox is the best way forward, and I agree with them. Flight Simulator may remain playable on PC, but home PC's may be far less common in 5 years time than they are now.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

I was under the impression the new Xbox’s will take other input devices such as keyboards etc? I have a saitek x52 I intend to continue using
Yes that's correct, even the current Xboxes are compatible with keyboard, mouse and joystick input.

Again, Xbox Studios have said that commercial and user-generated content will be accessible, and haven't mentioned any limitations that I'm aware of.

Microsoft have decided that moving Flight Simulator onto Xbox is the best way forward, and I agree with them. Flight Simulator may remain playable on PC, but home PC's may be far less common in 5 years time than they are now.

They haven’t mentioned the existence or not of any limitations because they haven’t said anything about the Xbox version other than it’s coming at some point. However, looking at existing Xbox titles and comparing them to their PC counterparts should make for a well educated indication of what limitations will exist.

While widespread general desktop use may well declines favour of laptops and mobile alternatives, I expect gaming PCs and some other specific uses will desktops going. Desktop PC gaming is still thriving despite years of predictions that it would a dead. It still offers more power, flexibility and openness that you don’t get on a console.

The Xbox already supports keyboards, mice and joysticks.

indeed but you must buy/have them at hand, plugged them in AND use them, generally not what the majority will do, most teens play several games at a time and in their minds Flightsim is just another. If they start the sim with just their gamepad they will be disappointed.

remember an Xbox console is not like a PC sitting in someone's room dedicated as a flightsim.

Xbox is usually in the living room, below the TV, a place where all the brothers and sisters use sitting in the couch usually at quite a distance... with little cozy ambiance for the peripherals needed.

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think