Microsoft Sidewinder and FS2020

All Microsoft Sidewinders are USB and thus 'plug-n-play' and require no drivers. I don't know if the Force Feedback will work in FS2020. Also not sure if other models (Pro, etc) will work as intended. But the Sidewinder Precision 2 is a sure bet to work good (I have one - for 10 yrs - it works like new.)

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

All Microsoft Sidewinders are USB and thus 'plug-n-play' and require no drivers. I don't know if the Force Feedback will work in FS2020. Also not sure if other models (Pro, etc) will work as intended. But the Sidewinder Precision 2 is a sure bet to work good (I have one - for 10 yrs - it works like new.)

Chuck B

Napamule

Good to know! Thanks!

Love my force feedback Sidewinder! Still running strong and I plan to use with FS2020! I hope it will be compatible!

Unfortunately it appears this stick (that I also have owned for years) does not work well with FS2020. I tried to configure it and found that FS2020 has no facility to bind with the throttle 'axis' Instead it works like a toggle - increase or decrease in just the same way as pushing the keys on a keyboard. This make it really hard to control the aeroplane. There is no force feed back, but think that's known already due to a patent issue.

If anyone works out a solution to the throttle problem please let me know.

Unfortunately it appears this stick (that I also have owned for years) does not work well with FS2020.

I have the same issues. I just spend a couple of hours trying to configuring the joystick, but without any success. There's no force-feedback, but everything is not responding right. If you move the stick a tad too much, the plane turns over or get into a dive.

I managed to takeoff and land using the joystick, but it was noway near the feeling I had with the joystick in FSX. :-(

Unfortunately it appears this stick (that I also have owned for years) does not work well with FS2020. I tried to configure it and found that FS2020 has no facility to bind with the throttle 'axis' Instead it works like a toggle - increase or decrease in just the same way as pushing the keys on a keyboard. This make it really hard to control the aeroplane. There is no force feed back, but think that's known already due to a patent issue.

If anyone works out a solution to the throttle problem please let me know.

I have always used my Sidewinder Pro and now it is a beast to set up and unstable in the air.

Has anyone come up with the Settings to assign tot he Buttons ,POV and how to set the throttle slider so the the Throttle increases and decreases.

Also for the life of me can not configure the nose wheel for turning on the runway.

Where is any documentation? Am I missing something?

Like I said: The only MS Sidewinder joystick that MAY work with FS2020 is the Precision 2. The Force Feedback, the 'Pro', etc, models may not work. (Seems like I was right).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hiya all!

I haven't flown in several years, and thought instead of rebuilding my FSX, I would just wait for 2020.

Pre-oredered and installed overnight. I too have a Sidewinder Precision 2, and was surprised to see there wasn't even a profile for it in 2020. I have spent much of today trying to program it, and can tell you I am not a happy camper!

i7-9700KF; RTX 2070 Super; Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S, 32gb G Skill 3600;

2TB 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVme; 2TB 860 EVO SSD; 1TB 860 EVO SSD; Li 205 ATX Case; Windows 10 Pro x64

I too have a Sidewinder Precision 2, <...> I am not a happy camper!

My experience also. I have the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 and it has served me faithfully on and off for decades but it does not work with MSFS2020.

The joystick is recognised in Windows 10 and is working properly. MSFS2020 recognises the device and the name it but loads a default blank profile and you have set your own bindings.

I have played with the sensitivity and settings but cannot get the stick to control the plane. Its a weird combination of under sensitivity and then over-sensitivity and lag. It takes ages for an input to be recognised then it slaps it to 100% and you're upside down and back to front.

Really disappointing especially since it's Microsoft peripheral, OS and game and its not compatible.

Hiya all!

I haven't flown in several years, and thought instead of rebuilding my FSX, I would just wait for 2020.

Pre-oredered and installed overnight. I too have a Sidewinder Precision 2, and was surprised to see there wasn't even a profile for it in 2020. I have spent much of today trying to program it, and can tell you I am not a happy camper!

Hi All,

I am so releived that you are seeing this issue, i installed the final parts of MS FS 2020 after midnight tuesday morning, I also have MS sidewinder precision 2 and when you go to the controls area it sees it and knows its there and populates the controls for a brief second and then vanishes, also a question mark appears on the graphic on the right.

frustratingly you cannot find new drivers for it, i managed to find windows XP drivers and installed using that win XP SP3 version, windows 10 now sees all the controls and buttons and the throttle, but even after reboot etc, MS FS 2020 can still not see it, I will keep trying a bit more but im very close to buying a "

Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X (PS3/ PC)" would you guys recommend this joystick? it looks like a good make and good reviews on "youtube".

if i do manage to get it working i will let you all know, but as MS does not provide any info on thier older joystick anywhere, it does look like they dont want to support it.

Thanks for your time.

Eddie

As an update to my earlier post, I can confirm that the Sidewinder Precision 2 does in fact work with FS 2020. You need to program it from scratch, and it does take some tweaking. I'm still in the process of 'fine tuning' it, but it is definitely working.

Stay safe!

i7-9700KF; RTX 2070 Super; Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S, 32gb G Skill 3600;

2TB 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVme; 2TB 860 EVO SSD; 1TB 860 EVO SSD; Li 205 ATX Case; Windows 10 Pro x64

I've solved the issue for me. [ATTACH=CONFIG]220967[/ATTACH]

This is thanks to StarlessLion50 on the MSFS2020 forums. Use the axis binding not the (example) Aileron Left or Aileron Right.

Thanks! I am a private pilot and it was impossible to fly with my old sidewinder old generation controller. Now it is even more controllable than FSX or X-plane 11 in my ultra book.

Hi,

The three settings in above screenshot are great! Thanks very much!

The sidewinder also has a button at the front that I used to use for braking in FSX, a switch on the side that I used for accelerating and a round button at the front of the joystick that I used for moving around the plane. Does anyone know how to bind these two buttons and the switch in MSFS? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you so much!

Regards,

Mike

I don't know if anyone on this thread ever read my posts concerning throttle control of Sidewinder Precision 2. I keep putting it out there, that perhaps the throttle 'problem' will be solved. My joy throttle slider is JAMMED with a plastic wedge at '0' throttle using calibration screen. Then I plub in a Targus 10 keypad and set it to left of keyboard. I map throttle keys, F1 thru F4, on it. No more 'issues' with throttle. Here it is again.

Chuck B

Napamule

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

i still own a Force Feedback Pro , with the game port instead of USB. I've managed to build a converter

with a custom made PCB and a Teensy board. It works with axis and Force Feedback in FSX , but only the axis work in FS2020 , no force feedback.

https://ibb.co/C9fWLwb

The controller vibration is set to 100% , not sure what else there is to configure ?