FlightSim...with a keyboard

Okay Guys, another amateur hour question; don't hate me.

I am fully going all gunz blazin' for the premium deluxe but I do not have any kind of peripherals set up at all.

Looking to pick up a Saitek pro Flight yoke and throttle if I can but most places are sold out and ebay is a feisty place.

Although possible with a keyboard, is this going to take away from the fun in the beginning? Does anyone else play only with a keyboard and mouse?

Thoughts...

Okay Guys, another amateur hour question; don't hate me.

I am fully going all gunz blazin' for the premium deluxe but I do not have any kind of peripherals set up at all.

Looking to pick up a Saitek pro Flight yoke and throttle if I can but most places are sold out and ebay is a feisty place.

Although possible with a keyboard, is this going to take away from the fun in the beginning? Does anyone else play only with a keyboard and mouse?

Thoughts...

Yes.

Don't even contemplate the Sim until the peripherals are sorted...

Naive beyond belief to think of doing without!

I wouldn’t try flying with a keyboard & mouse myself. A joystick with built in throttle would be better.

I was surprised when you said everywhere is out of stock of the Saitek yoke, but yes you appear to be correct. Amazon for example says currently unavailable. I sold mine on eBay a few weeks back.

The Honeycomb yoke is probably one of the best, but it’s not cheap (worth it though!) and they are releasing a fantastic throttle unit in October. Again, it’s not cheap but it looks superb.

Regards

Stevd

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

You would be miserable trying to use a keyboard/mouse with ANY flight simulator.

I have full complement of CH Products controllers. But when I don't want to drag it all out, I use a Xbox 360 Controller for PC. Can set up everything you would ever need...

http://krepelka.com/fsweb/learningcenter/importantskills/usinganxboxcontroller.htm

I like to use 3 and 4 for differential brakes.

They are plentiful to find, and if you don't want a Microsoft brand, EVERYBODY who makes joysticks has their own clone (ThrustMaster, Logitech, etc.)

EDIT: BTW, the two joysticks can also be PRESSED for two more buttons

Edited by dogdish
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

A relatively cheap but good joystick to consider until you can get the Saitek or other gear is the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro...

It has a twist handle for rudder, a throttle, a hat switch for view changing, and 12 programmable buttons and has proven to be very durable - I brought my first one in late 2007 and replaced it with another one a few of years ago (Feb 2017) - the old one, which still worked well at the time of its demise, got broken when my young niece decided to drop it down the stairs along with my alarm clock, mouse and an assortment of other things.

All in all, IMO, a good all rounder for its price BUT beware, a quick look at both Amazon and Ebay shows a big different in pricing. Also beware of second hand items as they may have issues...

Regards

Brian

Funny how I posted same question 2 days ago!! and got no reactions, but I am happy to see that more

people are posting same question. What I mean is: if I have to choose between a joystick with a B747

jumping up and down, left and right like a mini 'cub' and a keyboard where I can make my planes maneuvre with extreem subtile movements and make most beautiful flared dead centre landings I'd pick the KB. My manual (kb)landings in spot view are mostly indistinguishable (attitude, speed, flare)

from you tube clips, either C172 or B777. I respect everybodies setup it's just I have no room nor cash for any further peripherals. So could someone (tester or demo flyer) give some answer if the new MSFS

can be flown with KB/mouse only and if possible some insight on how it performs as such? many thanks

for any reaction......................... Peter

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?21037-Flight-Simulator-2020-First-Impressions&page=2#comments

Been simming since FS4 (3 1/2 disc) , now FSX SE works '8' on '10 scale' I have no room whatsoever on my desktop for anything more than a KB/mouse and Screen(my PC is on the floor). Can anyone tell if MSFS can be played with KB and mouse only? How elaborate are options in MSFS to assign actions to keys (if at all) as in FSX?

thanks in advance ! - I7 6700K - GTX1050TI4G - 16GDDR4 - SSD 500G

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

I have been flying in FSX and X-Plane for ten years now, with KB/mouse only.

I admit there is a steep learning curve, but it is doable.

I do not plan to buy a yoke (yet).

No guarantee that it will be possible/easy in MSFS. Worth trying anayway.

I wonder if the keyboard shortcuts of MSFS2020 will be similar to the controls for FSX.

To me flying FSX with KB/mouse only feels completely natural, trying a yoke left me in a learning curve that was 'to steep to climb.....' Is there not 1 beta / demo user in the whole wide MSFS world prepared to try it without his 'throyoke' connected and share some thoughts?

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

I bet that gamers who are accustomed to WASD for FP Shooters, would be completely comfortable with keaboard/moose for flight simming.
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I bet that gamers who are accustomed to WASD for FP Shooters, would be completely comfortable with keaboard/moose for flight simming.

Exactly so, everyone has to start somewhere. I used a joystack for years until getting my yolk and peddles 3 years ago.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

just found this video on flight controls...

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

thanks for all the responses guys, so keyboard looks like a relative no go if I am looking for something relatively "real".

Would the Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas 4 be any good to start? It's very reasonably priced and as I said the pro yoke is out of stock. I dont want to go full on and get something super crazy expensive at the start but do you reckon I could get away with the Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas 4 to begin?

thoughts Team?

Here's my joystick! Had to get something small enough not to clutter our desktop area (computer used by both my wife and myself) This has worked for me for many many years, numerous versions of flight sim.

It is a CH Products Mach III joystick. I also purchased an adapter which allows me to plug into a USB port. These joysticks are no longer sold, but you can still find them on Ebay, but they are still asking hefty prices for them (about $50). I have a spare in my closet in the event this one ever fails me, I like it that much.

When not in use, I can tuck it in behind the monitor, and you would never know it's there! Oh, and it allows me to fly with the left hand on the joystick, right hand still available to operate the mouse!

Works for me, but not many would be interested?

joystick.jpg

Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

I have a Thrustmaster T-1600 joystick. under $100 (I think I paid around $60 on Amazon). Plenty of assignable buttons and adaptable to left or right handed as well a sliding throttle. Only have had it a few months, but seems of good construction and the weighted base is a definit plus