Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DC-3 Dakota Cockpit

Default custom gauges

A quick email to Angelo and he took the stock AirManager P-47 gauges and added a second needle for Manifold Pressure and for RPM's. The fuel gauges are poetic licence - but what the heck. In the Dc-3 I flew we used a broom handle with pencil marks - YES Im serious !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	225486

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	225487
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	225485  
    I always keep a bottle of stimulant handy just in case I see a serpent - which I also keep handy.....

..................and next stop the throttle levers. These were a nightmare. I had to pay to have them drawn for 3D printing and it took us two weeks to get them together. Now they have been printed out in silver PLA silver and they look great ! In tr5ansit as I write I cant wait to fit them onto the quadrant

The printer mixed them up a bit for the photo but you can work out which is which

Attachment 225488
    I always keep a bottle of stimulant handy just in case I see a serpent - which I also keep handy.....

Blog Entries

Looks great!! Happy flying

Default FS2004 and DC-3 and Win10

I have been running the FS2004 with the default DC-3 with Win10 and everything works fine. Then I downloaded the FS2004 DC-3 ACOF-BB Centennial Aircraft and my simicons are not working. Once you load it, you can click on several of the icons and everything is okay, but then the panel freezes and I can't bring up another panel even using the Shift - number keys. If I don't click on any of the simicons when I first load the plane, then everything seems okay. Anybody have any ideas as to what is going on. Obviously, with installing a new plane, there were manual additions made to gauges, etc. Has anyone else had this problem?

Jack McAfee
    macjack39

Quote Originally Posted by MacJack39 View Post
    I have been running the FS2004 with the default DC-3 with Win10 and everything works fine. Then I downloaded the FS2004 DC-3 ACOF-BB Centennial Aircraft and my simicons are not working. Once you load it, you can click on several of the icons and everything is okay, but then the panel freezes and I can't bring up another panel even using the Shift - number keys. If I don't click on any of the simicons when I first load the plane, then everything seems okay. Anybody have any ideas as to what is going on. Obviously, with installing a new plane, there were manual additions made to gauges, etc. Has anyone else had this problem?

Jack McAfee
    macjack39
    sorry old chap - Im on X-plane 11

Cool cowl flaps are now done

quite a simple job with two rotary switches and some script written for FlywithLua - by Angelo Zangarrini on Fiverr.
    This is the later design than that of the AWX DC-3
    All I need now is to have the knobs designed and printed in plastic - and take a high quality scan of the original unit - make a sticker and put it on the face.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl0IXDAwkJI

Default fuel tank selectors

I joined up with DC3 Airways again after an 18 year lay-off. Deciding to fly to the USA over the North Atlantic Ferry route "Live" theres lots of time to spare with the Sperry in control - as long as one doesnt wander too far anyway !

First sector took me from Glasgow to Stornoway then onwards to Keflavik Iceland, Bluie West One Greenland and onwards to Newfoundland. Long sectors but time for me to fiddle on the cockpit floor.

With the cowl flaps done and programmed by Angelo Zangarini on Fiverr - I progressed to the fuel selectors which will go onto the Pedestal.

Quite a simple affair for younger engineers, my incinerated fingers and two scrap switches later they were done.

The switches are 12 way- 360 degree rotational. Not idea as 5 doesnt go into 12 very well but with a few "Bridged" contacts they work flawlessly. With the wires from the switches soldered to "Jumpre" cables they were plugged into the LeoBodnar Matrix Breakout board mounted on top of the BU0836A potentiometer board used for my elevator trim wheel.

Again using Fiverr I "bought in" the experienced staff to do what I cannot do. The fuel tap levers were duly designed by a draughtsman - then 3d plastic printed by someone else.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by AlyMac; 03-30-2021 at 05:14 AM. Reason: images didnt upload

Default Next - The Pedestal

Not so much a replica - its a homage to the original but all the bits will be in the right place.

Aluminium I bought from Ebay and had folded at a local machine shop. I have two quadrants, an ancient PFC unit I bought 20 years ago - and a pair of Saitek units. The Saitek I will use first but I will convert the PFC quad at a later date.

Default pedestal

Ply back and ply floor panel

Name:	IMG_20210331_142041_660.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	226011  

Default screwing it all together

The pedestal is slightly smaller than the real thing but it will have all the right junk in all the right places !

I havent shown a picture of the back but there is a large access hole to service the cables, switches, potentiometers for the trims etc.

I have little aluminium discs on order for the fuel taps. These taps give a very convincing "Clunk" when switching tanks ! An unexpected bonus of natural amplification within the ally box

Stickers and paints should come on the next DC3 Airways cargo flight on Tuesday morning !

I also added extensions onto the Saitek Levers. These were designed by a great guy called Marko on Fiverr. I made them way too long and had to cut them down. My Mk2 levers are being drafted now and will include the ball ends with "P", "T" and "M" moulded into them above and behind.

The difference flying with extensions on the levers is a revelation. Like the real aircraft they can be adjusted perfectly to syncronise the MAP and Pitch.

Name:	IMG_20210329_214914_244.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	479.5 KB 
ID:	226012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210331_214916_9.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	280.4 KB 
ID:	226013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210331_225245_6.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	384.8 KB 
ID:	226014  

Name:	IMG_20210402_193520_752.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	293.8 KB 
ID:	226015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210402_193500_798.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	226016  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast