Disks (boxed set) or download?

Someone suggested that if using the boxed set (10 double sided DVD's) that one of those DVDs will need to be in the DVD drive when running 2020.

Is that definitely correct?

I like the idea of the boxed set as there isn't the need for a 90GB download AND it comes with a manual BUT I really don't like the idea of needing a disk in the DVD drive when running.

If in fact a disk is always required in the DVD drive I am wondering if the disk can be copied to say a USB memory stick and that memory stick be permanently inserted into one of the USB ports.

Does anyone know how extensive the manual is or is it just a few pages covering very basic things.

Thanks

Edited by jparnold
add question

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

The rumour is disk 1 is required. That was for the beta. When the final retail version is pressed, that may change. Could also change if everybody complains to Microsoft/Asobo about it, they could easly provide a update.

I ordered a disk set and will let you know after I install it and what's in the manual.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Mathijs Kok (Aerosoft) has said that the disc version will only be available in Europe, for the time being anyway. He also confirmed that you will need to have disc one in the drive everytime you run the sim.

He added that this is not down to Aerosoft, but Microsoft have insisted on it. I can’t comment on the beta, but he was taking about the finished product.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Disappointing that a disk will be required in the drive as I'm sure there are other methods to prevent illegal copying.

There is another flight simulator around which seems to have 'conquered' illegal copies without the user needing to have a disk inserted. The only thing worse Microsoft could have done is to make the user enter the serial number every time 2020 is run.

I will probably reluctantly install via download just so that I don't have to have a disk always inserted OR purchase and install a second DVD drive just for 2020.

John

The only thing worse Microsoft could have done is to make the user enter the serial number every time 2020 is run.

They could have made it worse. Like a well known video game I have GTA V

It has BOTH off-line mode (Story mode), and a on-line mode (Get your head blown off by cheaters mode). Anytime I want to play it off-line, message pops up saying I have to go on-line to verify activation to play off-line. BTW, it's a disk set.

I won't EVER buy anymore Take Two games :mad:

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

They could have made it worse. Like a well known video game I have GTA V

It has BOTH off-line mode (Story mode), and a on-line mode (Get your head blown off by cheaters mode). Anytime I want to play it off-line, message pops up saying I have to go on-line to verify activation to play off-line. BTW, it's a disk set.

I won't EVER buy anymore Take Two games :mad:

I agree and have uninstalled GTA V!

I will probably purchase the Steam version of MSFS.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

I DO enjoy playing it, so I won't uninstall it. But I own the disks, I've all ready activated it once, why require the constant aggravation to keep using it? I wanted Red Dead Redemption but I passed on it because of the experience with GTA V.

Let's hope when you want to play Flight Simulator off line, you can just sit down and enjoy it OFF LINE!

There is disk version listed by an Australian seller on Ebay (pre-purchase obviously) and it seems that it is the real deal as I contacted him and yes he said it is the disk version on 10 double sided DVDs plus user manual.

I wonder if the manual will be available as a download?

So maybe it's only Aerosoft who will sell the disk version ONLY in Europe.

John

These guys are shipping the Standard box to Down Under. They were shipping the Premium Deluxe worldwide but cut back to just a few countries for some reason.

https://secure.simmarket.com/default-en.html