Flight Sim Installation

Just added a 1TB SSD to my MB which now has a drive letter assigned to it. With plans for MSFS 2020, can a flight sim be installed and run on a drive that does not have the OS assigned to it? If possible, I would like to install MSFS 2020 to the SSD which will not have Win 10 assigned to it.

Just to add further to Jim's comment...

The process to do so will depend on how you purchase 2020...

If direct download from MS or on DVD - when installing it will probably offer a 'default' path. Somewhere on that screen should be an option to install into another location. Normally it will be done by simply browsing to the required location or sometimes you will have to select a 'tickbox' (like you do with FSX) to signify you want to change the location and then the browse function becomes available.

If from Steam - First Steam should be viewed as two separate elements - the Client and the Library. The Client is the element that acts as your access gateway to Steam - it provides your account access to its website, the shop, your purchases etc. The Library element is where your DOWNLOADED content, i.e. the game(s), are stored locally on the PC.

By default, Steam installs both elements into the same location. The Library element is stored within the following folder structure - \SteamApps\Content\ located within the main Steam folder. You can, however, separate the two elements so that the Client is on one drive and the Game(s) is/are on another. You can even spread the Library element over several disks but note that irrespective of the name you give the target folder Steam will always install using the \SteamApps\Content\ structure - e,g install Game A at D:\Game A the installed game will actually be installed at D:\Game A\\SteamApps\Content\Game A...

You will need to select the new location prior to downloading OR let it install into the default area and then MOVE it to the new area. A google search will throw up plenty of info on how to make the changes

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
I also think that it is worth noting that, from my reading of a number of articles and other threads, is that, like FSX and FS2004 before it, the install will include a number of essential files into locations on the C:\ drive by default, irrespective of where you install the main program. And, like in FSX/FS2004, these files will not be 'movable'.

Regards

Brian