Hi, all

I've been given some specs for a custom-build PC which I will be using purely for Flightsim 2020 when I get it.

I'm pretty useless at understanding these things, and it may just as well have been written in Japanese as far as I'm concerned.

With the specs below, will it be enough for the game to run smoothly?

Thanks for your help.

Ryzen 5 2600

a320 motherboard 12800

8gb rx 580 ddr5 12500

8gb ram 2666mhz 2650

120gb ssd 1650

500gb hdd

True rated psu 500 watts 3000

Tempered case with 4in1 fans

You likely need at least 16mb of ram, and as little larger SSD. I would go with a 500mb or 1TB SSD and forget the hdd. Otherwise, it may depend on what monitor and resolution you plan to run. If you stick to 1080p and a desktop monitor, that is probably fine. If you plan to run 4K on a 35 inch monitor, that may be too weak.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Hi, some of these look fine, but you may want to upgrade a couple of things.

Ryzen 5 2600

a320 motherboard 12800

8gb rx 580 ddr5 12500

8gb ram 2666mhz 2650 - you really need 16gb (or better still 32Gb)

120gb ssd 1650 - I would get a larger SSD - at least 250gb

500gb hdd

True rated psu 500 watts 3000

Tempered case with 4in1 fans

Microsoft say you need 8gb ram minimum - you really need 16gb or preferably 32Gb

I would put Windows 10 on your 500gb HDD and keep the SSD for flight simulator only.

However, you will need a larger SSD as flight sim will probably be around 120gb (more with updates)

I’d go for at least a 250gb SSD

I’m not an expert on these things, but as far as I can tell the other specs look ok

No doubt someone else here can confirm

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Steve, I know you may not be able to answer this because of the NDA, but from your comment it suggests that the simulator can be on a separate device than the operating system. FSX had to be on the drive with the operating system (there may have been a work around, but the install didn't give an option?). Can I run Windows 10 on my SSD and the simulator on my M.2?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Steve, I know you may not be able to answer this because of the NDA, but from your comment it suggests that the simulator can be on a separate device than the operating system. FSX had to be on the drive with the operating system (there may have been a work around, but the install didn't give an option?). Can I run Windows 10 on my SSD and the simulator on my M.2?

1. Download Flight Simulator to its default location. It is not a very big file.. some 200 MB.

2. Go to Windows Settings / Apps and find the Flight Simulator "app"

3. Click on it and select Move

4. Point to your SSD and execute.

The App will be moved to its new location.

I9-10900kf, gtx3090, 32gb ddr 4 3200mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke, Alienware monitor 34 inch @ 3440 x 1440

FSX could be installed to a drive other than the Windows drive using the advanced install option, and so can the new sim.

Be careful with any specs issued by any software developer.

Their minimum specs are literally for their software only, and they really are bare minimums, it does not include the operating system, or any other software that you might have running in the background (email client, discord/teamspeak, antivirus software, web browser etc etc). all these background tasks along with the Windows operating system could easily swallow up 10GB of your RAM before you even launch your flight sim software.

At the present time having any Windows 10 PC with less than 16GB RAM is simply looking for trouble and poor performance especially when using a software package such as a flight sim that is processor and data intensive.

The good new is the cost of RAM in the last year or so has dropped dramatically. I recently bought 32GB RAM that will run at 3600 mhz (probably the fastest you can get) with RGB lighting and it only cost me £180. you can pickup up RAM far cheaper than that.

Currently Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB DIMMs) can be bought on Amazon for £110.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0196QNBU4?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

At that price you would have to be totally mad to skimp on memory.

Edited by efanton

1. Download Flight Simulator to its default location. It is not a very big file.. some 200 MB.

2. Go to Windows Settings / Apps and find the Flight Simulator "app"

3. Click on it and select Move

4. Point to your SSD and execute.

The App will be moved to its new location.

And now your Windows registry will have no idea where FSX is located. Some add-ons look at the registry for the FSX location, so this is not a good idea.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

And now your Windows registry will have no idea where FSX is located. Some add-ons look at the registry for the FSX location, so this is not a good idea.

Those are the steps to move the install location of the new sim, not FSX.

My apologies to all. I have the new sim on the brain obviously! I’m leaving fsx on the computer for now, until I need to reclaim the space. The new system is coming in today.

I9-10900kf, gtx3090, 32gb ddr 4 3200mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke, Alienware monitor 34 inch @ 3440 x 1440

I’m no expert on the details of PC specs, but the detail I have seen on videos taken from low end computers has been quite impressive. If you can get the clouds on high to ultra, the remainder looks very good even dialed to low!