Helicopters?

Elvensmith

Has anyone had much success in flying these in XP11?

My first attempt based on the control method in FSX, i.e. joystick throttle for rotor RPM and pitch forward/back for collective flipped me on my side.

I gleaned that XP11 has a separate control for collective, which is F3/F4 on the keyboard. I can now get off the ground and move but the sensitivity is awful, very hard to pitch forward or back without again flipping over. I'm not expecting Gunship 2000 easy mode but this just seems way too hard especially given the helicopter is an ideal tool to fly low and slow taking in the scenery.

Any tips other than "git gud" would be welcome.

Edit: It does now seem to be coming together a bit more, which is quite rewarding.

Edited by Elvensmith
Vern.

• 1 month later...

Hello and hang in there.

If your collective was assigned to an axis and it flipped you on your side then try reversing the axis. I believe a new assignment will by default increase collective when pushed forward. Instead try setting it to increase collective when pulled back.

I've been flying helicopters exclusively in X-Plane, P3D, Aerofly and FSX for many years, because of X-plane's blade element theory I believe X-Plane is the most accurate home simulation program currently available. At least one aircraft manufacturer uses X-Plane to design and test real world aircraft.

I highly recommend that you do not use the keyboard for collective, you'll find it easier to master X-Plane with a good controller, I use a Spektrum Interlink DX. This is a non-radio USB controller with plenty of assignable buttons & switches including trim. There are two rotating axis' in back that I've assigned to the toe breaks, they both perfectly align with the tips of my little fingers. Do not buy the older Futaba Inter Link Elite, both controllers come with Real Flight but the controllers can be purchased separately.

Side Note: After calibrating the Spektrum controller I opened it and removed four micro springs which released the self-centering on both joysticks, this was done for better flight control which is even more necessary for helicopters. Each joystick has three front facing screws to adjust the tension of each stick, this adjustment is not necessary if you don't remove the self-centering springs.

Happy con-trails