KBJC to KGUC

Went to A&P school on Jeffco (KBJC) airport in the early '80s (Colorado Aero Tech). I recently spent about 5 days downloading a bunch of 1/3 arc-second DEMs from the national map server and made some high(er) resolution mesh for the state of Colorado. Finished it Tuesday and did a flight over it to check it out. Been a while since I've flown into or out of my old stomping grounds so I flew from Jeffco to Gunnison (KGCU) which took me over some of the highest terrain in Colorado.

Some shots:

Deviated from the flight plan to fly a 360 over Breckenridge which I'd made a photoreal for a while back (sort of what triggered the mesh project in the first place):

KBJC_KGUC_01.jpg

KBJC_KGUC_02.jpg

That's the highest point in Colorado right there, Mt. Elbert @ 14,440', I flew the flight VFR at 14,500' so I did a little jog to the right to keep from scraping the paint off the belly, lol.

KBJC_KGUC_03.jpg

Just some random Colorado ruggedness, Orbx OpenLC North America is responsible for the textures.

KBJC_KGUC_04.jpg

Finally on short final for 06 at Gunnison. I actually had to do this flight twice because the first time I made a left pattern and descended entirely too low for the surrounding terrain, CFIT was the cause of death. :) The 2nd time I studied the chart for ILS 06 a bit and pulled of an uneventful landing.

KBJC_KGUC_05.jpg

On the ground and shut down at Gunnison.

KBJC_KGUC_06.jpg

KBJC_KGUC_07.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Jim

Very nice scenery, shots and flight! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks much Michael and Larry! :)

I meant to post these two animated .gifs in the original post but the forum said they were too big. I put them up on postimage.org so I'm trying again. Not sure if this will work.These were captured in FSX BTW. I think the first one is Longs Peak from the west side looking east, it's on a direct route between Ft. Collins and Grandby more or less. The second one is somewhere near Leadville IIRC.

mesh-comparison02.gif

mesh-comparison01.gif

Edited by Jim Robinson

It was compiled with the FSX resample tool Larry but it works in P3D v4.5 as well. All the screenshots in the first post came from P3D incidentally. TBH I can't see where there's a difference in the resample tool, mesh & photoreal compiled with the FSX resample tool works in P3D and mesh/photoreal compiled with the P3D 4.5 resample tool works in FSX. Very few things made with the P3D 4.5 SDK actually work in FSX but resampled things like mesh, photoreal, landclass, waterclass, seasons, population density, etc. all seem to work. I'm thinking the only thing changed in resample.exe between FSX and P3D is the version number, lol.

No idea about P3D v5, haven't made it there yet. :)