Another Newcomer

Bus Driver

Hello:

Also a newcomer. Not real good with computers; presently an FO on the EMB 145. Haven’t flown since getting type ride in March due to covid, looking at Feelthere software to keep up on the switchology to remember the aircraft.

1. Looking at FS 2004, and feelthere EMB 145 to load

2. I have Have a MacBook that I like, not a Microsoft computer, so loading Bootcamp to allow Windows 7, thus enabling 2004 and feelthere

All I want to do is practice the switchology; flying is nice but secondary.

Questions:

1. Would prefer putting this on my iPad, but read in some places it won’t work. Is that true? Would like the iPad as I can take it on the road.

2. Would prefer Windows 10, but will 2004 and feelthere work on it, or should I stick with Windows 7? Read in some places Windows 10 works, others not. Which is true?

3. Would it be better to just buy a windows based computer and put 2004 and feelthere EMB 145 on it? Again, just looking for portability and playing with switches on the aircraft as primary goals.

Comments/Suggestions?

Thank you!

Bus Driver

Hi, & welcome..

1. Could be better to use a laptop, less hassle & more usefull.

2. FS2004 is perfect for you, & works on most laptops.

3. Yes.. FS2004 works perfectly with Windows 10. I have a few separate installs of Fs2004 in my laptop. No issues at all. Unlike other sims, such as FSX, FS2004 does not need fancy hardware to work well, & there is plenty of freeware scenery & planes out thyere.

Also, on the road, you can also take a laptop with you.. More enjoyment.

Regards,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Unfortunately, Apple products won't work. The hardware and operating system software are enough different to be incompatible. Xplane has a version for the Mac, I'm told, and Flight Gear Flight Simulator (a free, open source sim) has versions for the Mac and for Linux: https://www.flightgear.org/

But the various Microsoft programs are only designed to work with PCs.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Unfortunately, Apple products won't work. The hardware and operating system software are enough different to be incompatible. Xplane has a version for the Mac, I'm told, and Flight Gear Flight Simulator (a free, open source sim) has versions for the Mac and for Linux: https://www.flightgear.org/

But the various Microsoft programs are only designed to work with PCs.

Are you sure it won’t work Inuss? Apple Bootcamp allows Intel-based Macs to boot MS Windows: https://support.apple.com/boot-camp

Hello:

Also a newcomer. Not real good with computers; presently an FO on the EMB 145. Haven’t flown since getting type ride in March due to covid, looking at Feelthere software to keep up on the switchology to remember the aircraft.

1. Looking at FS 2004, and feelthere EMB 145 to load

2. I have Have a MacBook that I like, not a Microsoft computer, so loading Bootcamp to allow Windows 7, thus enabling 2004 and feelthere

All I want to do is practice the switchology; flying is nice but secondary.

Questions:

1. Would prefer putting this on my iPad, but read in some places it won’t work. Is that true? Would like the iPad as I can take it on the road.

2. Would prefer Windows 10, but will 2004 and feelthere work on it, or should I stick with Windows 7? Read in some places Windows 10 works, others not. Which is true?

3. Would it be better to just buy a windows based computer and put 2004 and feelthere EMB 145 on it? Again, just looking for portability and playing with switches on the aircraft as primary goals.

Comments/Suggestions?

Thank you!

Bus Driver

Hi Bus Driver,

Apple Boot Camp is a viable option...but the only problem you will run into, is purchasing a copy of Windows 10, which can often be quite expensive.

For the same amount of money, you could probably purchase a refurbished PC with Windows 10 already installed. Of course...this would be quite a slow machine, but with the right graphics card (again a cheap one from ebay etc), you could easily get FS2004 going.

To give you an example...when my nephew came to visit, I purchased a refurbished PC from Amazon so that he could have his own machine (this cost £69 with Windows 10 already installed). I then added a cheap AMD card from ebay...installed it, and hey ho...he was all set. I already had a spare monitor, keyboard and mouse, so if you don't have these...then yes, the cost can mount up.

Basically though, you have a couple of routes you can go down. Yes, they both require a bit of time and effort to initially sort out...but once done, you'll have a great deal of fun.

Hope this helps

Regards

Dominic

Thanks, Robin!

If understood, the iPad won’t work, and what about MacBook? Bought one 3 years ago; will that work as well as a Microsoft type laptop? Would save a few $.

Thanks again—Bus Driver

Hey Bus Driver, you might find this helpful if you’re still interested in using your Mac:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4665/

It’s a fairly old article, but that should mean that performance is less likely to be an issue with your relatively new machine. Is it a MacBook Air, a MacBook Pro or just plain MacBook?

The issue is not speed/performance.

Programs running via bootcamp cannot address hardware directly. The video and sound card for example.

For a simple text editor program that makes little difference. But for a flightsim program which relies on the videocard so much it is a problem.

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The issue is not speed/performance.

Programs running via bootcamp cannot address hardware directly. The video and sound card for example.

For a simple text editor program that makes little difference. But for a flightsim program which relies on the videocard so much it is a problem.

They do indeed address the hardware directly...and it's one of the reasons why Boot Camp offers performance similar to a PC of the same hardware. This is quite different to say a VM (virtual machine), such as Parallels or VMware Fusion.

https://www.dummies.com/computers/macs/mac-operating-systems/boot-camp-versus-windows-emulators/

Cheers

Dominic

Thanks Bus Driver, Airs don’t have discrete graphics cards, they just use the one integrated into the Intel CPU, so performance may be an issue. I’ve no experience with running flight sims on Macs though, so someone else will have to advise you there.

Assuming you got this 2017 model:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP753?locale=en_US

you’ll have Intel HD Graphics 6000.

Though you may want to check which one you’ve got against this list:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201862