Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Another Newcomer

  1. Default Another Newcomer

    Hello:

    Also a newcomer. Not real good with computers; presently an FO on the EMB 145. Haven’t flown since getting type ride in March due to covid, looking at Feelthere software to keep up on the switchology to remember the aircraft.

    1. Looking at FS 2004, and feelthere EMB 145 to load
    2. I have Have a MacBook that I like, not a Microsoft computer, so loading Bootcamp to allow Windows 7, thus enabling 2004 and feelthere

    All I want to do is practice the switchology; flying is nice but secondary.

    Questions:

    1. Would prefer putting this on my iPad, but read in some places it won’t work. Is that true? Would like the iPad as I can take it on the road.
    2. Would prefer Windows 10, but will 2004 and feelthere work on it, or should I stick with Windows 7? Read in some places Windows 10 works, others not. Which is true?
    3. Would it be better to just buy a windows based computer and put 2004 and feelthere EMB 145 on it? Again, just looking for portability and playing with switches on the aircraft as primary goals.

    Comments/Suggestions?

    Thank you!

    Bus Driver

  2. #2

    Default

    Hi, & welcome..
    1. Could be better to use a laptop, less hassle & more usefull.
    2. FS2004 is perfect for you, & works on most laptops.
    3. Yes.. FS2004 works perfectly with Windows 10. I have a few separate installs of Fs2004 in my laptop. No issues at all. Unlike other sims, such as FSX, FS2004 does not need fancy hardware to work well, & there is plenty of freeware scenery & planes out thyere.

    Also, on the road, you can also take a laptop with you.. More enjoyment.

    Regards,
    Robin
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

  3. Default

    Thanks, Robin!

    If understood, the iPad won’t work, and what about MacBook? Bought one 3 years ago; will that work as well as a Microsoft type laptop? Would save a few $.

    Thanks again—Bus Driver

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    7,199

    Default

    Unfortunately, Apple products won't work. The hardware and operating system software are enough different to be incompatible. Xplane has a version for the Mac, I'm told, and Flight Gear Flight Simulator (a free, open source sim) has versions for the Mac and for Linux: https://www.flightgear.org/

    But the various Microsoft programs are only designed to work with PCs.

    Larry N.

    As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

  5. Default

    Thanks, Top Gun!

    Bus Driver

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    Unfortunately, Apple products won't work. The hardware and operating system software are enough different to be incompatible. Xplane has a version for the Mac, I'm told, and Flight Gear Flight Simulator (a free, open source sim) has versions for the Mac and for Linux: https://www.flightgear.org/

    But the various Microsoft programs are only designed to work with PCs.
    Are you sure it won’t work Inuss? Apple Bootcamp allows Intel-based Macs to boot MS Windows: https://support.apple.com/boot-camp

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    7,199

    Default

    I know nothing about this Bootcamp, so can't speak to it. Perhaps it can compensate for the differences, but that's beyond my knowledge.

    Larry N.

    As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bus Driver View Post
    Hello:

    Also a newcomer. Not real good with computers; presently an FO on the EMB 145. Haven’t flown since getting type ride in March due to covid, looking at Feelthere software to keep up on the switchology to remember the aircraft.

    1. Looking at FS 2004, and feelthere EMB 145 to load
    2. I have Have a MacBook that I like, not a Microsoft computer, so loading Bootcamp to allow Windows 7, thus enabling 2004 and feelthere

    All I want to do is practice the switchology; flying is nice but secondary.

    Questions:

    1. Would prefer putting this on my iPad, but read in some places it won’t work. Is that true? Would like the iPad as I can take it on the road.
    2. Would prefer Windows 10, but will 2004 and feelthere work on it, or should I stick with Windows 7? Read in some places Windows 10 works, others not. Which is true?
    3. Would it be better to just buy a windows based computer and put 2004 and feelthere EMB 145 on it? Again, just looking for portability and playing with switches on the aircraft as primary goals.

    Comments/Suggestions?

    Thank you!

    Bus Driver
    Hi Bus Driver,

    Apple Boot Camp is a viable option...but the only problem you will run into, is purchasing a copy of Windows 10, which can often be quite expensive.

    For the same amount of money, you could probably purchase a refurbished PC with Windows 10 already installed. Of course...this would be quite a slow machine, but with the right graphics card (again a cheap one from ebay etc), you could easily get FS2004 going.

    To give you an example...when my nephew came to visit, I purchased a refurbished PC from Amazon so that he could have his own machine (this cost £69 with Windows 10 already installed). I then added a cheap AMD card from ebay...installed it, and hey ho...he was all set. I already had a spare monitor, keyboard and mouse, so if you don't have these...then yes, the cost can mount up.

    Basically though, you have a couple of routes you can go down. Yes, they both require a bit of time and effort to initially sort out...but once done, you'll have a great deal of fun.

    Hope this helps

    Regards

    Dominic

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bus Driver View Post
    Thanks, Robin!

    If understood, the iPad won’t work, and what about MacBook? Bought one 3 years ago; will that work as well as a Microsoft type laptop? Would save a few $.

    Thanks again—Bus Driver
    Hey Bus Driver, you might find this helpful if you’re still interested in using your Mac:


    https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4665/

    It’s a fairly old article, but that should mean that performance is less likely to be an issue with your relatively new machine. Is it a MacBook Air, a MacBook Pro or just plain MacBook?

  10. Default

    The issue is not speed/performance.
    Programs running via bootcamp cannot address hardware directly. The video and sound card for example.
    For a simple text editor program that makes little difference. But for a flightsim program which relies on the videocard so much it is a problem.
    Last edited by il88pp; 08-06-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I'm a newcomer
    By maximo916 in forum Newcomer Services
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2009, 08:01 PM
  2. What Is Meant By Newcomer Services?
    By xxmikexx in forum Newcomer Services
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 05:20 PM
  3. A BIG QUESTION FOR A MAYBE NEWCOMER
    By N500PG in forum Aircraft Design
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 08:16 AM
  4. newcomer: I need an IDIOTS tutorial for Airport 2.10!
    By soontobepilot in forum Scenery Design Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2002, 02:07 AM
  5. CFS2 newcomer
    By aslsw in forum CFS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2001, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •