Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Video on weak PC

Default Video on weak PC

Every video I've seen of FS2020 so far has clearly been conducted on a hugely powerful, top-spec PC, which is great for showing what the game is ultimately capable of.
    However... lots of us are going to be running it on more mediocre machines, nearer to the minimum specifications. What would be really great would be a demo of how well the game runs on a weak machine with the minimum specs, showing its performance at the most basic graphics settings and then what happens as you gradually ramp them up.
    This would be very useful from the perspective of those of us who are considering upgrading our hardware, but don't know if it's worth buying the game anyway before doing that - or whether the performance is so bad even on minimum settings that it's sensible to wait for better hardware before buying the game.
    Has anyone conducted this kind of test?
    I love the smell of napalm on my cornflakes.

2. Default

You haven't stated what rig you have, so perhaps the minimum specs listed here would help:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/...ight-Simulator

Perhaps the most challenging bit for many will be the bandwidth requirement, though it will also run with reduced textures with poor internet access.
    ^^^^
    ´´´\/```
    Asus Z97 Deluxe MB, Intel i7-4790K @ stock 4GHz, 16GB G.Skill RAM (Trident X 2x8 F3-2400), Asus GTX 970 4GB, Noctua NH-U14S cooler. Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD, Seasonic P-860xp2 PS, Antec P-280. Saitek Pro Flight stuff, TrackIR v 5, 1 monitor @2560x1440. Win10, FSX Gold, XP-11, some AC.

Quote Originally Posted by P.e.g.a.s.u.s View Post
    You haven't stated what rig you have, so perhaps the minimum specs listed here would help:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/...ight-Simulator

Perhaps the most challenging bit for many will be the bandwidth requirement, though it will also run with reduced textures with poor internet access.
    Did you read my post?

I think the problem in assessing your situation, is that there are so many variables in determining satisfactory performance. For example, you could have a processor and video card that would run the program successfully, but not have sufficient memory or lack a good internet speed?? If you are slightly above the minimum specs, you will need to try it with what you have, then decide if you are needing to upgrade right away.

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
    I think the problem in assessing your situation, is that there are so many variables in determining satisfactory performance. For example, you could have a processor and video card that would run the program successfully, but not have sufficient memory or lack a good internet speed?? If you are slightly above the minimum specs, you will need to try it with what you have, then decide if you are needing to upgrade right away.
    I understand that. I'm talking about the minimum specs as referred to by Microsoft, which covers things like processor power, system RAM, graphics memory etc. Get a computer that at least approximates those specs to do a test on, and put a video up showing what it's like. I'm aware that the separate components cannot be entirely separated in terms of contribution to performance, but it would be helpful for someone whose specs are close to what's given. For example, someone with a computer with close to the minimum specs but with a much more powerful CPU could reasonably guess that they'd see better than minimum performance. Nobody is asking for an exact framerate count to be predicted or anything, just ballpark.
    Or does nobody have ANY curiosity for how FS2020 will run on anything less than a top-whack machine?

I agree it would be an excellent idea, but I suspect this won’t happen until the sim is released. I would think most of the youtubers posting the videos will have high spec machines and of course the beta testers can’t do it because of the NDA

Regards
    Steve

Here is a video with a guy running a RTX2060 super and a mid range AMD.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz-I_9v-PMc
    Another video tested a GTX 1060 with I5-8400 running high (not ultra) settings at 1080p getting ~35 fps.
    Last edited by plainsman; 08-01-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bugdozer View Post
    Every video I've seen of FS2020 so far has clearly been conducted on a hugely powerful, top-spec PC, which is great for showing what the game is ultimately capable of.
    However... lots of us are going to be running it on more mediocre machines, nearer to the minimum specifications. What would be really great would be a demo of how well the game runs on a weak machine with the minimum specs, showing its performance at the most basic graphics settings and then what happens as you gradually ramp them up.
    This would be very useful from the perspective of those of us who are considering upgrading our hardware, but don't know if it's worth buying the game anyway before doing that - or whether the performance is so bad even on minimum settings that it's sensible to wait for better hardware before buying the game.
    Has anyone conducted this kind of test?
    VRAM the rest is the rest...but as much VRAM as you van afford

in previous sim was "processor cpu"...not anymore

4 letter VRAm
    Kapitan
    Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

9. Default

Dearie me, was it them funny mushrooms? Apologies, my bad.
    ^^^^
    ´´´\/```
    Asus Z97 Deluxe MB, Intel i7-4790K @ stock 4GHz, 16GB G.Skill RAM (Trident X 2x8 F3-2400), Asus GTX 970 4GB, Noctua NH-U14S cooler. Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD, Seasonic P-860xp2 PS, Antec P-280. Saitek Pro Flight stuff, TrackIR v 5, 1 monitor @2560x1440. Win10, FSX Gold, XP-11, some AC.

Actually, the processor vs GPU load shifts dramatically depending on what resolution you are running according to the video doing testing of different settings, resolutions and processors/GPUs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast