How important is a separate Throttle Quadrant

ssman

I'm going to buy a Yoke, and for budget considerations it will be either a CH Products Flight Yoke (with a mini throttle quadrant built into the body) or a Logitech/Saitek with a separate full sized throttle quadrant.

My question is - how important is it to have a separate throttle quadrant? Is the mini throttle quadrant on the CH's body going to be completely insufficient, or will it do the job well enough for a few months.

Background: I'm getting back into simming, but don't know if I'll keep up with it (responsibilities and life). If I do keep up with simming, I will upgrade to a Honeycomb Yoke + Bravo Quadrant next year. If I do not/can not keep simming regularly, then at least I'll have the CH or the Logitech. I have FSX:SE right now, and will get FS2020 when it comes out.

The CH has two benefits to me - its cheaper by $50, and its easier to set up and tear down because its an all-in-one design vs. the Logitech/Saitek with its a two part design. But I'll take the Logitech if the separate throttle quadrant is important. I will be flying GA. I see people flying with one hand on the yoke and one hand on the throttle - is that a preference, or is that more of a necessity?

So should I go for the set with the separate throttle quadrant or go for smaller and cheaper (and more convenient)?

The logitech throttle's levers has a longer range of movement that the CH yoke's levers.

That would make it easier to precisely make a setting.

The logitech throttle also has some extra switches that you can use for flaps, gear, etc.

If at some point you get into twin engined aircraft and want twin throttle's with it then the logitech is quickly expanded with a second identical set.

But the main thing is to have analog control over your engines.

And the CH can do that so if money is an issue then you just get that.

how important is it to have a separate throttle quadrant?

That is really dependent on you. For me, a combined unit would not be satisfactory -- it would be rather awkward, IMO. But many folks seem to find that arrangement OK.

On the other hand, if you plan to get an upgrade if simming proves worthwhile for you, then the cheaper unit would probably do just fine, for a little while.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Have a look at what I have been using for 10 years and love how it allows for small changes in power (ie: for helicopter flying). You have to get a piece of plastic and wedge the throttle slider on the joystick at '0', which you set using calibration screen. You go to assignments and set the keypad keys as you want. You can use what I use for starters. You can always change assignments. From then on the keypad throttle is all you need to use (but the F1 thru F4 on keyboard are still available and active). The Targus keypad is around $15 at Amazon. I got one last week at Goodwill for $3.99 and it works perfect. Looked hardly used and like new. Have a good one.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).