Joystick and Throttle for Left Handers

So while not required, I would like to find a left handed joystick and throttle.

I guess first off what are some of the left handed options

Second off if there are not any good ones, how much will a ball bearing vs analog be noticeable in handling of the aircraft?

I haven't played FSX in a while but I am hands down ready for FS 2020 and want a solid controll input to complement my system.

I'm a lefty myself.

You will find a few left handed joysticks but as far as I am aware there is no such thing as a left handed throttle unit (one you use with the right hand).

For left handed joysticks, you could look at the VIRPIL, the new Thrustmaster TCA Officer Pack Airbus Edition HOTAS, or the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Hotas Joystick.

All three provide true left handed joysticks but unfortunately none provide a true left handed throttle units.

Of the three the throttle from the Thrustmaster TCA Officer Pack Airbus Edition is the one that is most likely to be most comfortable in the right hand but it is also the throttle unit with the least number of switches and controls. Possibly good enough for MS 2020 flying simple models, but next to useless if for instance you intended to use it with DCS.

I'm afraid what ever you decide to do its going to involve compromises.

If you want the buttons and controls that the VIRPIL or Warthog or Thrustmaster X56 HOTAS provide then I think you are going to simply have to accept that you buy a standard right handed HOTAS and learn to adapt.

If you go the Thrustmaster TCA Officer Pack Airbus Edition even though its left handed you are likely to miss a lot of controls and functionality that might be required for anything other than a a very simple model in in MS 2020. It definitely is not going to be any good for you in the likes of DCS.

I have searched everywhere, and even enquired as to whether I could get a 3D model for the Virpil throttle hand grips so that I could reverse them and get them 3D printed. Unfortunately there appears to be absolutely no hope of this.

I think it would be absolutely pointless buying a left handed joystick and then having to use your throttle unit upside down unless you were also using the joystick for games that did not require a throttle unit.

I will keep looking myself but I unless I see a true left handed HOTAS system, in a month or two when I buy myself a HOTAS system it will be the Thrustmaster X56 which in my opinion has all the controls you need to fly DCS and still be reasonably priced. I am just going to have to bite the bullet and learn to fly right handed, but it appears that this is not as hard as it appears and many have done this already.

Up until now I have been using a SAITEK yoke and throttle, and with these you can avoid the left or right handed problem. This does of course limit what you can fly and what sims you can play. If you just intend to fly Cesna's and simple general aviation aircraft then this is the route you need to go.

Edited by efanton