Honeycomb Alpha Confusion with Start Switch

Okay, what am I not grasping with my new Honeycomb Alpha yoke (which is amazing)? It has a starter key/switch that moves between Off, R, L, Both and Start.

How are you supposed to trigger anything on any of the settings other than Start? For example, what would setting it to R do? It doesn't Start the R engine as you need to move to Start to do that. ?????

I don't have that controller, but in most piston engine planes, OFF, R, L, BOTH, START, is indicating the magneto's to use. IE: R is the right magneto only, BOTH indicates both magnetos on that engine active. Most, if not all, piston engine aircraft have 2 sets of complete ignition systems. Two magnetos, two sets of plug wires, etc etc. Per engine.

Very similar to a system Nissan built into their trucks many years ago. If one plug fouls, or a plug wire fails, whatever, the other is still functional, and keeps that cylinder operating. Lower efficiency, lower power, etc, but still functional.

It's a good thing in an aircraft, to have backup system operating at all times. Ready to pick up the load from the other system in an instant. Losing a cylinder at 4,000' AGL is a lot worse than out 4-wheelin, but you get the idea.

If you ready you start-up checklist for, for example, a C-172, you will note that one check is to, once the engine is operating properly, turn the key to R, then L, then back to BOTH. You will see an RPM drop when you switch to a single magneto, but there is a limit as to how much. If it goes beyond the specified RPM drop during this check, the plane is "down", and may not be flown until the problem is fixed.

This is not applicable to turbine engines, or jets. They operate differently, and once started, the spark system is turned off as it is no longer needed. They are self-sustaining. If they fail during flight, and you need an air-start, the spark system is activated, and it's a stronger system to try and ensure a good start-up.

Does this answer your question at all?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 1 year later...
Yeah it is a weird design. I just have engine auto shutdown set to off and engine autostart set to R. L & Both aren't even programable in FSX for some reason. Engine autostart/shutdown works for all engines automatically. I think they based it on twin engine starters like the ones in Beechcraft airplanes. Edited by Badger26

To add about the right and left magnetos, I've read in jet powered aircraft with their left and right ignition systems, pilots will use the left ignition in both engines at the start of the day, and then the next crew will use the right ignition upon the next takeoff, and so on.

BOTH are used in an emergency ONLY as far as I know. So if your engine conks out you'll flip to the BOTH option and pray to the Gods of flight the engine will turn over by utilizing both ignitions. Of course, flight level plays factor here as well. That's why if your in an active flame out emergency or what ever, the PIC (Pilot In Command) WILL dive that aircraft down quick to get to breathing altitude, i.e. a more oxygen enriched atmosphere. So hold on to your butts for that cigarette lighting maneuver.

So here you learn that each engine has TWO ignition or magnetos. Right and left. I guess the basis behind this might be redundancy encase you can't restart the engine. You have two ignitions or magnetos to go on.

And if memory serves, you flip the switch to the BOTH position on takeoff as per the checklist, I think. This is just a safety thing in case you need to start an engine right away on flame out while on takeoff (think bird strike). It's been a very long time since I went over those procedures, but if I remember that's what I did until FL180 I think it was.

I'm not a professional or amateur pilot so I could be wrong. Just some scattered Info. I remember reading about years ago. Could have been on the airliners.net forum.

If I had one share of Microsoft for every tidbit I come across on a day by day basis I'd own the damn company by now! LOL